Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 09-06-06, 08:20 PM   #1
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Tilt/Trim

I never thought I'd have this problem, but I just plain can't figure out how to lift the 35 horse Mercury to put the transom saver on. I mean the locking mechanism is something I don't get. I took these pictures, I figure its something stupid that I just plain don't know...let me know if yall need more pics or info...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04156.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	763

Name:	DSC04155.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	764

Name:	DSC04160.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	765 (from underneath)

Last edited by WTL; 09-06-06 at 08:26 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-06, 08:26 PM   #2
lizardsrule

On the bottom pic, you see the pin that goes through the hole. That part actually pulls out straight,(actually flips straight in line with the pin) and you remove the pin, and reinsert it into whichever hole you want. Then flip it back into the locking posisiton. Mine is the same way. You have to have the pin shifted all the way over to that side so it will move. Hope this makers sense, it really is pretty easy, but I agree it can look impossible.

Lizards
Old 09-06-06, 08:29 PM   #3
WTL

Ok, is that the only way? I knew how to do that, but on my smaller 25 horse it has another mechanism where you push a plastic tab and can lift it up quickly..

...otherwise pulling that pin out on a lake is a pain in the ---, you sure as hell don't want to drop it.
Old 09-06-06, 08:29 PM   #4
lizardsrule

OOPS, just realized you asked about the transom saver, and removing the moter. Mine has a set of bolts with handles on the inside of the boat, that you unscrew, which is pretty typical of most smaller engines. Glad you posted this, reminds me I need to replace my transom saver too.

Lizards
Old 09-06-06, 08:33 PM   #5
WTL

Actually you were right the first time, I know how to get the motor off the transom, just trying to figure out how to lift the foot.

With the old 25 I would have to lift the foot often when I went through hydrilla to clean the prop, so thats another reason why I wanted to get more comfortable with it while on dry land.
Old 09-06-06, 08:33 PM   #6
lizardsrule

OK, I'm confused is it the tilt trim you need, or the transom saver? My moter has a tab also to release it up. It however is farther up near the cover, actually right under it, and hard to find if you don't know where it is. It says TILT on it, but like I said your pics don't show the area. It's on the right side of mine, just under the moter itself.

Lizards
Old 09-06-06, 08:52 PM   #7
WTL

Lol, sorry to confuse you. What we have here is failure to communicate. Lets start from the beginning.

I am trying to tilt the foot of my motor up. I figure it necessary to remove grass from the prop while on the lake, and to put the transom saver device on when I go down the road. I know about the small pin that the motor rests on that you can pull straight and resent at another level, but I thought there was a tab on most motors that allows you to "release it up". I can't find the dern thing.

Lol.
Old 09-06-06, 08:54 PM   #8
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

WTL Push up on the hook that is hooking on to the rod as you pull the motor forward. Its to prevent the motor from lifting out of the water when in reverse gear.Let me know if I can help explain if you don't understand my post. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-06, 09:02 PM   #9
pig n jig

When the shifting lever is in neutral your supposed to be able to lift the motor forward, but the rod linkage gets bent a little bit it doesn't work .I would rather have it not work than work too well. If you have ever had the motor pop free while your in reverse gliding into the dock a bit faster than you should, you will know what confusion is all about as your boat bounces off the dock as the motor is flogging serious surface wateruntil you let off the throttle. It anit pretty. P N J
Old 09-06-06, 09:07 PM   #10
WTL

Thanks, Lizards, PnJ - I got it. I knew it would be something stupid. Pushing up on the hook worked.
Old 09-07-06, 04:47 AM   #11
zooker

now i am confused.. the pictures don't show a tilt trim system. brotha love your looking for the moter release lever..most have it on the front near the clamps..

zooker
Old 09-07-06, 07:23 PM   #12
pig n jig

Zooker, Usually 35 HP and under in a Mercury motor won't come with a electric trim/tilt system.You can buy a unit specifically designed for motors 35 HP and under, but its several Hundred dollars for one. PnJ
Old 09-07-06, 11:16 PM   #13
WTL

Yea, I couldn't figure out what to title the post so I said tilt/trim. And I was talking about how to tilt the motor, manually...sorry if it was so confusing.
Old 09-08-06, 05:31 PM   #14
bassnman30

Can you lift the bottum of the engine by hand ?
This is so you can put the motor toter in place.
Had one that you could do this with.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.