Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-05, 10:00 PM   #1
WaterWolf_MN
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Weedy bottoms

Okay,I saw all sorts of swells today,and Im hoping they were bass.Anyway,I kept casting,and the bottom is weedier than Medusa's hair.All I caught was weeds.Heck,they were so thick,I lost a wacky riged work!What can I do?
WaterWolf_MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-05, 11:58 PM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: Weedy bottoms

Try a Zoom Super Fluke or a senko-type bait like a Tiki Stick, rigged weedless and weightless. They will stay above the weeds but still get in the areas where the fish are.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 12:27 AM   #3
WaterWolf_MN
BassFishin.Com Member

Okay.Now,I need a troubleshooter.Last time I used worms,they didnt even try to take them.What should I do if that happens?
Old 01-12-05, 12:35 AM   #4
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to singerloo

Cast jigs into open areas, use different colors, tie on a different color like every 15-20 mins, if the previous didn't work. Bass dont sit in the middle of the weeds looking for bait, they go out into open holes, so they can observe the water in front of them. If they happen to see one of your jigs, they will probably hit it...

good luck,

seaphantom
singerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 12:36 AM   #5
WaterWolf_MN
BassFishin.Com Member

Okay.Jigs and weedless Senkos.

There's 2 areas.One side has a pontoon boat next to it,and the other has man made cemement chucks all along the side.Can this effect the above?
Old 01-12-05, 01:06 AM   #6
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

[quote author=Tyrant link=board=news;num=1105491649;start=0#4 date=01/11/05 at 22:36:38]Okay.Jigs and weedless Senkos.

There's 2 areas.One side has a pontoon boat next to it,and the other has man made cemement chucks all along the side.Can this effect the above?[/quote]

Are the chucks along the weedline.Do they come out from the shore? Fish that area. The chucks will act as secondary structure and drawthe bass to it. They will hide in the weeds but use the chucks as ambush points.Try a T-Rigged Flipping tube or a crawtube. Flip or pitch it along where the chucks butt up to the weeds.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 02:48 PM   #7
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

Bass & Weeds

It is no secret that largemouth bass like weeds. And certain weeds are better than others, but the bass make use of whatever green stuff they can. It stands to reason that organizing fishing strategies around them makes anybody a better bass fisherman.

Weeds: Bass like weeds for many reasons. Weeds that are growing offer oxygen, which not only makes matters that much more comfy, but attracts dinner as well. The shade also cools things down. But the fact is that bass associate with weeds throughout the season. There is more to it than comfort factor. The fact is that weeds probably have and even greater impact on predation success, which not only is important to the bass, but to those of us trying to catch them as well. Weeds provide great hunting places for baitfish and frogs, and they offer hiding places from which bass can ambush their prey. With a compact body shape for quick turns, largemouth can also use corners to corral baitfish or at least keep the arena manageable. Like any predator, largemouths favor situations that minimize their energy expenditure. Research shows that by holding in shade, bass have a much better chance at spotting prey without being seen themselves. The analogy is when you're sitting in a darkened room looking into a lighted room; you can see without being seen. Largemouths use that advantage all the time. Biologists generally break down weed types into emergent (such as lily pads, water lilies and bullrushes) and submerged (such as hydrilla, millfoil, pond weed, duck weed, and coontail). Some of these submerged weeds, namely hydrilla, millfoil, andpond algae, form mats, which become increasingly important with the warm weather of summer. The best bass waters have a diversity of weed growth, which supports a healthy forage base. The best weeds tend to be the greenest, as that is the sign that they're growing and helping produce oxygen. Largemouths are fish of transitions and gravitate to the intersection of weeds with wood or rock piles, the weedy deltas that form when creeks join bigger waters, weedy drop offs, and even the shift from one weed type to another. In general, bass will move to shallower, sparser weed areas in the evening. That might mean weedy bays or simply outside edges and channels inside weedy shallows. During the day they will be deep in weeds sometimes or by contrast on the outside edge - if there is sufficient depth.

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 02:53 PM   #8
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

Inside Moves: The key is less in being a junior botanist than in figuring out how to fish the various formations. Start with those weeds closest to shore. In the spring, bullrushes and reeds are spots to try. The water here is relatively shallow. Many spring lakes have a 2 - 5 foot interior lane bordered by a weedbed on the outside and the shoreline scub weeds on the inside. This is often open in the post-spawn period before the weeds have had much chance to grow. If you hit a lake with this inside opportunity, you can just plain nail the bass in here.

Horizontal Presentations: When fishing weedbeds, be sure too keep an eye out for transitions. You're looking for irregularity, for fringiness - breaks in the weedlines, pockets, and in particular, weedy points of 4 - 10 feet that extend far out into gravel or sand or mud. These are the terrific bass producers. Mid-bay weeds are very good spots, too, particular if they form a bit of a hump or the tip of a point. The best of these bays tend to be part of a larger diverse system, with drop offs on the outside and thick weeds on the inside. Spinnerbaits can also be used for fishing weedlines, as can crankbaits. These lures can be retrieved over the weeds or beside weedlines. Spinnerbaits over weed tops is a great spring presentation, and a good searching technique throughout the season. With summer, minnow imitating plugs become increasingly important - particularly when fish are aggressive, such as in the hours before a storm. Mann's Minus One, which runs just below the surface, is a great bait for working weed tops. This crankbait has a nice wide swing to it that somehow seems particularly appealing in the weedy areas. If weed tops are down 4 or 5 feet, stickbaits can be really productive. Start with Rapalas or Zara Spooks, particularly during spring or summer mornings when the water is quite still. Smithwicks Devil Horse or buzzbaits can be a better choice when there is a bit of a ripple. If the fish won't come up, try working a neutral density stickbait like a Rattlin' Rogue. This bait can be adjusted to almost the exact depth you need and will stay at that level for the entire retrieve. The neutral density aspect lets you slow things way down, which helps when things are slow. For finicky fish, a switch to soft texture can help. Many anglers prefer, when possible, to combine a wind drift with soft plastic jerkbaits, which seem to not need a slow treatment like a plastic worm. (Worms often requires a Carolina Rig in the weeds.) With Slug Gos, Power Slugs, and other jerkbaits, you can get away with no weight at all, working the bait so that it darts in the pockets and weed lanes. Start with dark colors in these circumstances, as they provide a strong, full contrast against the lit background.

Vertical Presentation: Summer bass often drop deep along the weeds during the mid day hours. Look for hydrilla, millfoil, or other thick weeds that grow all the way to shore. If you find edges in 10-20 areas, your in business. Edges over 15 feet give up fewer bass, but the ones you get will be nice ones. This is when you need some weight. A jig head with a worm trailer is a choice that doesn't get a lot of press. The long trailing worm can be particularly productive. This bait is a good, deep swimmer. That is, when you cast it, you don't want to hop and drop it as much as pull and pause it. Â*

There are a number of other ways to fish the dense stuff - whether with plastics or with Johnson Silver Minnows and pork strips which you skitter across the tops of the weeds. It is odd fishing in the sense that getting the bass into the boat is not the most glorious struggle - it's reminiscent of getting the dog into the door at the vet's office. The peak of the experience is the strike, but that is some thrill. You'll have more fun missing these strikes than any others you'll ever get. Guaranteed. Â* Â* Â*

Â*
Â* Â*Robby. Â* Â*
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 09:05 PM   #9
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

wow rob lately you have been a bass encylcepedia. keep up the good work ;D like the others said try weedless worms. also if the fish are poppin the top try topwaters. hope this helps
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 09:08 PM   #10
WaterWolf_MN
BassFishin.Com Member

Im now pissed off.7 FRIGGEN STRIKES TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I cant set the hook.Any help?
Old 01-12-05, 09:25 PM   #11
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

wat were u using. were u dead stiken it or were u retrieving it. if u were retrievin it then really u shouldnt have to give a hard set, lower ur rod on the retrieve then when u feel a tug and the line tightens, pull the rod up. if ur dead stiken it then as soon as u feel the tug reel in the slack and give it a harder pull. i am no expert on this. so if im wrong anyone feel free to correct me. this is just wat i was taught and it works for me.
Old 01-12-05, 09:29 PM   #12
WaterWolf_MN
BassFishin.Com Member

Three times retreving.4 times it was floating.Im goign tomorrow at 7 AM,so I will catch one.Ill take your advice
Old 01-12-05, 09:36 PM   #13
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

r u on winter break or sumthin. anyways good luck and hope it works
Old 01-12-05, 10:40 PM   #14
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

What action rod are you using? If you are fishing a soft plastic your rod might not have enough backbone to get a good hook set. I don't use anything less that a MH action for soft plastics, baitcast or spinning. Also, have you checked to see if your hooks are sharp? Learned that lesson the hard way.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 10:45 PM   #15
WaterWolf_MN
BassFishin.Com Member

Im using a line that has hooked soem very small trout.Spinning reel.Ill sharpen the hooks tonight
Old 01-12-05, 11:57 PM   #16
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

If you are fishing on top of the weeds with plastics or topwater, you must wait until you feel the fish before setting the hook. I promise you it isn't easy(it's very tough actually), but you may be jerking, when the fish missed the bait. So if you don't feel the fish, don't just jerk it away. If they get it up in the weeds, you'll FEEL them pulling it down, and then "CROSS IT'S EYES" Also as Rebasser already stated, get some tougher gear when fishng the weeds, you're gonna need it. And of course always check your hooks. Good fishing, catch all 7 next time.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 12:59 PM   #17
WaterWolf_MN
BassFishin.Com Member

Now Im mad.I GOT RAINED OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!But,my dad may take me down the Intercoastal to do some fishing tomorrow
Old 01-13-05, 01:07 PM   #18
danrw84
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to danrw84

You could be like us northern guys...looking at below zero temps this weekend!

Signature line looks great, thanks.
danrw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 01:15 PM   #19
WaterWolf_MN
BassFishin.Com Member

BTW,that banner was for my girlfriend.

Hopefully,the rain will clear up,and Im hoping it dose.It may be 40 degrees,but I WANNA FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-05, 07:09 PM   #20
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Sounds like your trying to hard. Relax have fun. Wait for the fish and feel the fish then set the hook. It sounds like youre getting pissed off and then trying to yank the next fish out of the water. Fishing is fun, think about all those blokes staring at hard,cold water. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 07:49 PM   #21
WaterWolf_MN
BassFishin.Com Member

I found my problem.Im so slow to set the hook.
Old 01-14-05, 12:06 AM   #22
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

dont be to quick to set the hook either. u will end up yankin the hook out of the fishes mouth before it gets a chance to get hooked. like fireman said take it easy and fish to fish and dont fish for fish. fishin is about havin fun and relaxin. if u get angry every time u go out to fish u will start to not want to fish. relax and next time u go out take it easy and just fish.
Old 01-14-05, 12:17 AM   #23
WaterWolf_MN
BassFishin.Com Member

I know.Im just too damn tence.
Old 01-14-05, 12:39 AM   #24
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

that may b just the problem
Old 01-14-05, 02:42 PM   #25
WaterWolf_MN
BassFishin.Com Member

Okay.I need help using the weedless weightless senko.How should I fish it?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.