Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 07-06-11, 08:01 PM   #1
VolForLife
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 1st time

Im gonna be getting a boat in the next 6-7 months( a used bass boat) and was wondering what are some key areas to look for when buying a used boat? I have never owned one before, so this is all new to me.

TIA
VolForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 08:35 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well the FIRST thing to do if oyu are buying form an individual is to make sure they have NO objections to you taking it a shop to be checked out. find oyu a trusting boat shop and ask if they will do this for you, if they object.....walk away.
Old 07-06-11, 08:53 PM   #3
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Don't neglect to check the trailer closely, too. Tires, axle, bearing etc. Also check the buckboards. They have been known to rot out beneath the carpet cover. Good luck, do your homework and figure that you're going to have to put some money into your rig, after purchase, to set it up the way that you want.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 10:31 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

got to thinking more on this. there are things YOU can check yourself. like the transome, look for cracks and breaks where the motor mounts on. get in it, stomp around the floor see if oyu feel any weak spots or spongy areas, could be floor rot. look underneath for cracks and gouges while oyu are checking the trailer like top said. and if oyu take it out on the water (i hop you do before you buy), run it like you stole for real.
Old 07-07-11, 09:18 AM   #5
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My advice - NEVER buy a used boat south of the Mason/Dixon. Those dang rednecks fish all year long, use their boats every darn chance they get, and put smelly fish in their livewells to take home and cook for dinner. Buy used from a Yankee, their boats only get used a few months every year and usually ONLY on weekends, spend most of it's time in a garage freshily cleaned and waxed, and the livewells seldom get used.

Ok seriously, have the motor checked by a mechanic. At the very minimum have a compression check done. It will cost you around a $100 but to purchase and outboard without doing so (especially if the motor is out of warranty) is a risky roll of the dice. When I've bought used I offer to pay for the check - if it passes. The seller pays if it fails. Seller balks, I walk.

Trailer inspection - tube or box frame trailers tend to rust from the inside out, if trailer has brakes make sure they work properly. A screwdriver is your friend here, poke all the low points, especially the cross members, on the bottom.

As for the boat, 'glass and alum all have their own issues. Check for obvious hull damage, cracks or gouges. Small stess cracks are normal for most glass boats that get used, but those cracks are usually in the gellcoat and not in the actual fiberglass. Cracks getting down to the glass can be a serious issue. Alum boats with rivited hulls may leak around a rivet or two, welded hulls are usually a better construction method.

Research you boat brands you may be considering - older boats may have wood in the transoms or crossmembers - personally I would avoid any boat that has wood intregrated into the hull construction.

Finally, check that all systems are working properly (pumps, switches, navigation lights and any elctronics). Don't forget to check the trolling motor, along with the age and condition of the batteries. Condition of carpet and hatch hinges and supporting struts should also be checked for wear.

If buying private you'll have to be your own judge and check any boat out throughly. In GENERAL terms, buying used from a reputable dealer may get you some peace-of-mind, as the dealer should have done a lot of the work for you in terms of checking the boat out and making it sale worthy, and may include a short term warranty. You may pay a little more, but a dealer has a reputation at stake with every sale, a private seller gets your money and you're done. Not all private sales are bad, but the older the boat, the more likely there are issues (and the seller may not be aware of them) that may require attention.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 07-07-11 at 05:39 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 04:00 PM   #6
VolForLife
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks yall. Good advice boogieman
VolForLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.