Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 10-15-06, 10:21 AM   #1
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Pushing to the right

Picked up a 2004 Merc 9.9 Bigfoot tiller steer, put it on a 1971 14ft Fiberglass Quachita to fish some regulated lakes. Tried it in our pond yesterday and the danged ole thang keeps pushing me around to the right, All I could do to hold it straight at full throttle. Has anyone had this problem? If so, how did you fix it? Thanks, Carpy.
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-06, 11:17 AM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

check the foil skeg.. it is found between the top of the prop and the bottom of the foil plate on the lower unit. make sure it is perfectly straight -most use a bolt-.
check to see -with a tape measure- if the moter is dead in the middle of the transome if not this is your cause..
also you may have to adjust your weight distabution in the boat. move the gas tank around -forward- or possabliy go on a diet just to see what happens..

zooker
Old 10-15-06, 11:32 AM   #3
CarpMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
check the foil skeg.. it is found between the top of the prop and the bottom of the foil plate on the lower unit. make sure it is perfectly straight -most use a bolt-.
check to see -with a tape measure- if the moter is dead in the middle of the transome if not this is your cause..
also you may have to adjust your weight distabution in the boat. move the gas tank around -forward- or possabliy go on a diet just to see what happens..

zooker
Thanks Zook, I noticed the skeg was a little off, I adjusted it perfectlly straight with the set bolt. I have the battery on one side and the three gal gas tank on the other. The Motor is dead center of transom. Will put it back in the pond tomorrow and let you know if the problem has been fixed. Thanks for your response. carpy
Old 10-15-06, 07:19 PM   #4
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You may have to adjust it accordingly to the weight distribution in your boat.Its difficult to say since you will never plane out, might have to offset it on the transom if it still gives you problems. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 07:33 PM   #5
CarpMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
You may have to adjust it accordingly to the weight distribution in your boat.Its difficult to say since you will never plane out, might have to offset it on the transom if it still gives you problems. P N J

Thanks Zook, PNJ. Took her out today after making some adjustments and moving some wt around, she is staying between the lines. And you are right PNJ, I will never get-r-on plane, too much for this little 9.9... Thanks guys. Carpy
Old 10-24-06, 07:25 PM   #6
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Yea, normally you don't put it center, but adjust it to compensate a bit for the rotation of the prop. When you get it right with a tiller motor, it makes all the difference in the world.
Old 10-25-06, 09:20 AM   #7
CarpMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Yea, normally you don't put it center, but adjust it to compensate a bit for the rotation of the prop. When you get it right with a tiller motor, it makes all the difference in the world.
Thanks WTL, I adjusted the skeg and made some wt, adjustments per zook and pnj instructions and it is ok now. The 9.9 is really not enough to handle this glass boat, but it will have to do for the regulation requirements they have on these lakes is nothing over a 10 hp. Thanks for your input. Carpy
Old 10-28-06, 07:55 AM   #8
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The correct way to mount the motor is DEAD center. The ONLY way. The problem you having sounds like you dont have the motor at 90 degreees to the hull.. Level the hull up at the back going from side to side. Then put your level on the cavitation plate (the plate right above the prop). Both readings should be the same. If not readjust and WHOLLA I am sure u will be tracking straight even if the boat is not loaded correctly.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.