Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-16-09, 10:39 PM   #1
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Which Shakyhead Worm Do You Prefer?

I'm pretty new to jigworms. I just picked up the technique this Summer because some locals swear by them. Normally in a shakyhead situation I was using a jig or Tex rig.

I'm looking for the worm thats floats off the bottom the best.

I've used the Zoom Trick Worm and the Gulp! Shaky Worm and had some success, but they don't have much float to them. Aren't there some brands where the tail floats almost vertically about the jig?

While we're at it... What are your favorite colors, weights, and techniques to fishing jigworms?

Thx
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-09, 11:11 PM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Black Berkley Walleye Nightcrawler.

I don't know if it floats or not, but it works and has been the best I have ever used. If it is too long then just cut an inch or two off. Just make sure you get the ones that say "Walleye" on the package.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-09, 11:27 PM   #3
skeeter944

I throw Buckeye Lure Spot removers, 1/8 ounce for 0-8 feet of water and 1/4 for 10-20 feet of water. I throw a greenpumpkin head, its just a confidence thing. As far as worms go, I throw a Zoom Finesse worm 75% of the time, the rest of the time I'll throw a Trick worm. I experimented with Strike King's 3x worms, the tail action is amazing! But when they get left out in the sun, they tend to melt, which is why i went back to the Zoom. As far as colors go, I throw greenpumpkin in clear-stained water or on cloudy days, watermelonseed in clear water on sunny days, and junebug in stained-muddy water or on cloudy days as well. Its all an experiment though, so keep switchin until the fish tell you what they want. For tackle, I throw all my shaky heads on a 7' medium action spinning rod with 8lb Berkely 100% Fluorocarbon. My favorite technique is to skip the shaky head under boat docks, and just let it sit there and shake it. But in reality, you can throw the shaky head anywhere, docks, points, humps, rockpiles, brushpiles, laydowns, etc. Something alot of anglers do is shake the bait with a tight line, which moves the bait too much. Put some slack in the line when you shake, and the tail will work wonders. Sometimes shaking is too much action, and the bass want it dragged. Hope I helped you with your question!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-09, 12:56 AM   #4
bassboogieman

Usually a 5" slim senko or Kanami cut tail worm. I found this at one of our local sportsman shows - called an airtail worm. Picture was of this worm in my aquarium. Not a bad worm, straight with an air pocket in the tail - hence the name.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 10-17-09 at 01:04 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-09, 09:40 AM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The only few I know that actually float are the Power Bait shaky worms and the Strike King Elaztech Finesse worms. Those are main two I use, but occasionally I use a Zoom shak tail worm because I like the action of the thin curly tail.

BB
Old 10-17-09, 10:56 AM   #6
Baron49
BassFishin.Com Member

I like the Berkley Power bait Shakey worms in both the 5 and 7 inch models, but the best floating worm I have used so far has been a Charlies floating worm. I found them in Florida and they work great. Tried the Strike King worms, but did not like how sticky they get after using them or having them out of the bag in the sun.
Old 10-18-09, 08:50 AM   #7
BeaverIslander

I picked up 2 packs of Power Bait 5" Shaky Worms yesterday in watermelon and The General, which is basically junebug/pink. Plus a pack of the Zoom Shaky Worm with the little twister tail in watermelon/red flk.

I'lll give em a shot today. Thx
Old 10-18-09, 09:07 PM   #8
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Roboworms, strike king like everyone else said, I don't really know those are the only two I've tested in the tub, but jig head wise I like strike king shakyhead and I just bought some mega-strike shakyheads that look pretty sweet, they are the same head that's on the evolution jig heads.
Old 10-20-09, 09:19 AM   #9
Bob Smith

It's a matter of personal preference. Myself, I haven't experienced a situation whereby the floating worm actually produced more than your conventional finesse worms. That doesn't mean that condition never exist, but it just hasn't done anything for me.
My favorite worms are the Indigo Worm series from GrandeBass Trophy Hunter Bait Company (www.grandebass.com), then the Zoom Finesse worms, and finally Netbait finesse worms.
For my Shakey heads I use the Gambler "Giggy-Head" worm jigs because they are easier to rig and position the worm to my liking.
Old 10-20-09, 09:42 AM   #10
rrw4258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
It's a matter of personal preference. Myself, I haven't experienced a situation whereby the floating worm actually produced more than your conventional finesse worms. That doesn't mean that condition never exist, but it just hasn't done anything for me.
My favorite worms are the Indigo Worm series from GrandeBass Trophy Hunter Bait Company (www.grandebass.com), then the Zoom Finesse worms, and finally Netbait finesse worms.
For my Shakey heads I use the Gambler "Giggy-Head" worm jigs because they are easier to rig and position the worm to my liking.
Bob, was just wondering if you have tried, the spot remover from buckeye lures, and how does the giggy head compare to the spot removers? I was looking at the giggy head at a tackle shop the other day but decided against them. Do the giggy heads seem to hang up in the rocks alot? I am looking for a head to use around rocks, because the wide head of the spot removers hang up to much around rocks... thanks

Ryan
Old 10-20-09, 12:39 PM   #11
Bob Smith

Sorry for taking so long to get back with you, Ryan (also have a real job! snicker). I live in North Georgia and we have rocks, lots and lots of rocks!). The Giggy head works better than the normal screwlock and ball head shakey heads (worm jigs). I have used Spot Remover and Spot Sticker heads and find them to be better around the shell, clay or grassy bottoms. The Giggy heads will get hung up too, but overall I like the position of the worm and I like the fact that I can use them in multiple methods (shakey, sliding and swimming). You will find them very easy to rig and they keep the worm straight. I have been using them since before the company who started them sold out to Gambler (originally marketed as Giggy Head and made in Terrell, TX). They also have a 5/0 hook size that works beautifully on the 8" trick style worms and creature baits.
Old 10-21-09, 10:36 AM   #12
BeaverIslander

I had some good luck with the Power Bait Shaky worms yesterday when the Trick Worm wasn't getting it done. The Trick Worm has a little bit more tail-action and I think it was turning them off.

I did find some Spot Removers in a bargain bin and picked some up. Combined with a floating Power Shaky Worm, I got the standup/vertical presentation I was looking for. I'm happy with the jighead on the mostly clay/hard sand bottom, but when I met a rockpile, the jig would become wedged occasionally because of the shape of the head. I didn't lose any and didn't waste more than a minute, so it was minor. I wish the Spot Remover had a bigger hook though.
Old 10-23-09, 09:24 PM   #13
The Doc

Big Bite Baits makes the Squirrel Tail worm, it stands straight up with the tail section vertical. Great shakey head worms.
Old 11-02-09, 03:19 PM   #14
bassnman30

Roboworm.
I'm not sure if they "stand up" but I know they work for me.
I use 1/16 oz. "Owners" (they are the ones that have a pin sticking through the head as well as the spring).
Old 11-06-09, 03:12 PM   #15
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I have had my best luck with the Buckeyes with the Roboworm. I like the pig tail screws better than the ribbed spikes that attach the worm. The spikes split the head on the Robos. But they are good for the Zoom trick worms and BPS floating trick worms.
Old 11-06-09, 04:41 PM   #16
Willvdh1
BassFishin.Com Member

What are the most common methods of working shakey heads?
Slowly dragging them?
hopping along the bottom?
Willvdh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 02:54 AM   #17
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willvdh1 View Post
What are the most common methods of working shakey heads?
Slowly dragging them?
hopping along the bottom?
My objective Will, is to find the tension in the line and jiggling it without moving the weight but sending enough vibration to jiggle the worm for a few seconds. Then I might bounce it a time or 2 and repeat. I don't have much problems with 10# flouro test and a 3/8 shakey head jig.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7-xktoD6rw
Lengthy video, but maybe it will help you out some.
Old 11-11-09, 08:33 AM   #18
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Will, I think it greaty depends on what cover you're fishing. I like to fish the shakey head in timber and when the bottom is mostly rocks. I normally use 1/16-1/8oz jigs, but will sometimes (but not often) move to a 1/4oz.

like bubba said, I try to wiggle it in place most of the time, especially when fishing timber. when it comes to a rocky bottom, I'll drag it or hop it if the rocks are too large to drag the lure over.

BB
Old 11-18-09, 11:54 PM   #19
TN_Bassin

I mainly use Zoom Trickworms and Finesse worms when I use a shakyhead. I tend to catch fish more consistetly using those than any other.
Old 12-21-09, 04:14 PM   #20
Acm4bass
BassFishin.Com Member

I've used three 7" zoom trick worms, robo worms and we have local gem, called berserkaits...they have a color called Green pumpkin candy...pow!

Black, brown, white, purple, green with black flake,green with red flake...and clear with brown/copper flake are all awesome colors.
Acm4bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-09, 05:29 AM   #21
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Roboworm in 6" or 7" berkley hand pour (new) I like oxblood or junebug (margarita mutilator) I think in roboworm. I throw them on 3/16 picasso shakedown or gamakatsu skip gap shaky.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-09, 11:20 AM   #22
Jrob78

Roboworms on a Picasso Shakedown jig head are hard to beat! I also like Zoom Finesse worms, Big Bite Baits Squirrel Tail worms and Kicker Fish Hightail Holeshot worms. Another jig head I like to use is the Secret Lures Tail Shaker Jig. I've had success with those and the Picasso's. I've tried a few others including the Spot Remover with not much success. I couldn't keep the Spot Remever from falling over!!
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-12, 12:27 AM   #23
MacAttak
BassFishin.Com Member

The Holeshot Shaky Worm by Kicker Fish is the best. It stands higher than all comparable worms even on a ballhead and is much more durable than, say, a Roboworm. And for 2.99 for 20 worms, it kicks the hell outta, say, a Roboworm at 3.29 for 10. Plus I find the tail moves better than many of the competion. Also, those of you that are using a Spot Remover, you are not catching as many fish as you could. I find ballheads wobble and shaky when moved and the Spot Remover deadens the action of soft worms.
MacAttak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 11:18 PM   #24
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter944 View Post
I throw Buckeye Lure Spot removers, 1/8 ounce for 0-8 feet of water and 1/4 for 10-20 feet of water.

I'm With Skeeter on this one-IMO Spot Removers are the way to go. They have a flat bottom:

and will stand up on the bottom so the worm will always be above the bottom. All I use.
Old 09-25-12, 09:58 AM   #25
arfish
BassFishin.Com Member

roboworm.
Get the fat straight tail for shakey head.
Tackle tour did a good review of them years ago.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewrobowormplastic.html

But there are lots of good options out there. I keep several brands, just in case, in my soft plastic bag. Berkley, Netbait, Zoom, and a few small company brands under the radar.

In the winter months, I find a regular senko on a shakey head is about as productive as any thing else. Just drag it on the bottom. Caught some big bass last winter that way.

Last edited by arfish; 09-25-12 at 10:06 AM.
arfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.