Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-05-06, 08:57 PM   #1
The_Bass_Assassin
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Yum Buzz Frogs problem...

I'm having trouble getting the bass to stay hooked on the buzz frog. The lure is an outstanding lure. Now, if I can just land a fish with it. I have it rigged with the hooks that come with it. It seems the fish grab the legs and like to take it for a ride then spit it out. How do I get them to take the hook?
The_Bass_Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-06, 09:02 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

You have to wait a few seconds after you see the bass take it, then set the hook hard, it takes some practise, but after you see the bass blow up on the frog, try a one or two count before setting the hook
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-06, 09:16 PM   #3
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

and use a bigger hook.
Old 06-05-06, 09:26 PM   #4
Rebbasser

And make sure it is sharp

Welcome to the forum!

I fish them on a heavy action rod and 50 lb Powerpro braid. Most times you are fishing them anound the thick stuff, so a strong line and a rod you can really set the hook with is a neccessity. A lot of guys fish them on a flipping stick if that gives you an idea. A sharp hook is also a must to get a good hookset. If it won't dig into your thumbnail with just a slight amount of pressure it needs to be sharpened.
Old 06-05-06, 09:40 PM   #5
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

And don't be afraid to sharpen it again after you fish it a while.I bought a pack of the buzz frogs. I just haven't fished them yet. Might become jig trailers if I run out of trailers. welcome to the site. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-06, 09:43 PM   #6
JB

check your line often too after running it through all that thick mat, I agree those hooks need sharpened each time out!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-06, 09:50 PM   #7
Rebbasser

PnJ, I have a buddy that uses frogs as jig trailers and he does pretty good on them.
Old 06-06-06, 05:41 AM   #8
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

First off welcome to the forum. I think of myself as a frog conissuer. When using frogs it will teach you to become much more aware of what is going on at the other end of the line. I have found that bass hit a frog for 2 reasons whether its a floating frog or a buzz frog, Anger or hungry and both of them require a differnt hookset. When throwing the buzz frog use the hooks made by mustad that have the hitchhiker attachment. These hooks where designed with the buzz frog in mind. They are somewhere between a 5/0 and a 6/0 hook size. Now you have to determine if they are actually hungry or just killing that thing. Most of the time and this come from close examination when you remove the hook after catching a bass on a frog if the hook and/or hooks are way back in the roof of there mouth you have waited the correct amount of time. If you find the hook in the lips or missing them wait a tad bit more. I have been fishing these baits hard and heavy for 2 years now and rhis has been working for me. When they hit I make sure they have it by not only seeing the line move I also feel them and then WHAM!! Try to yank there but hole through there mouth. Then I see where the hooks are as explained before. Then I adjust my hooset to that. I know it sounds crazy but trust me (I have a evil grin on right now) it works. Somedays they are just trying to kill that noisy thing and other days they wanna eat it. Sometimes that means when they hit drop the rod and whack em and other days wait for a quick count of 2 or 3. Somedays not very often you could count to 5 and nail them. It all depends on the mood of the fish.
Old 06-06-06, 11:53 PM   #9
Zach_BassFisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

well i have asked the same thing on here, and what they mainly said was to use a bigger hook, i am a real bi buzz frog fisherman, i love them!
Old 06-22-06, 12:04 PM   #10
garry_3000
BassFishin.Com Active Member

man i use an gamagatsue (sorry cant spell lol) 5/0 supper line hook give those a try
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-06, 04:29 PM   #11
WarEagle
BassFishin.Com Member

Great info 1FL. One of the best replies I've seen to a question.

WAR

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.