Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-07-08, 12:10 AM   #1
pawpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Homemade Mono Weedguard

Do any of you know how KVD & Woo Davies makes their homemade
mono weedguard for fishing the wacky rig? I have watched the videos
in BPS's video library but they don't tell ya how to tie it. KVD does say
he uses 80 lb. leader material.
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 01:54 AM   #2
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Wth 80 Lb leader material, you probably could insert the line through the bait along side the hook shank and loop it back up over your hook and back through the eye of the hook to keep tension on the loop ?
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 11:28 AM   #3
hookup
BassFishin.Com Member

With heavy mono, cut off a piece about three times as long as the hook.

Wrap one end of the piece w/ either some strong thread (rod building size A, jig building kevlar/waxed, etc.) onto either the collor of a jighead or the top of a worm hook by the eye. Then make a loop so that the loop is bigger than the business end of the hook. Tie off by the other end, trim excess. Snag some of wife's clear nail polish and paint threads (or use jig building glue)

First couple will look goofy. After a bit of practice, you'll get it.
hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 09:51 PM   #4
pawpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey guys.... I had some free time today so I went down to my basement where I could experiment and I found a pretty good way to make the "homemade weedguard" I asked about. I thought I would share it with all of you with some pictures and verbage in case any of you ever want to do this yourself.

Materials:

1. 80 lb. mono leader material
2. hook(s)

3. pliers

4. braided line (I used 30 or 50 lb.)
5. clear fingernail polish or fishing glue
6. Something to tie off to (I used a knife sharpener I had)

1. First, I tied a uni-knot around one of my knife sharpener ceramic rods.
Link to Uni-knot Illustration
http://www.netknots.com/html/uni_knot.html

2. Tighten the knot down slowly after wetting the line with some saliva. Take your time, manipulating the knot with your figers to get it tight and uniform.

3. Wrap the area of the hook you choose to install the weedguard on with at least one layer of braided line. This will keep the weedguard from spinning on the hook once installed. I put some fishing glue on mine and let it dry. (can use fingernail polish if you desire)

4. Remove the pretied mono weedguard and slip the loop you made over the fish hook you will be using.

5. Firmly hold the hook and snug the loop down as tightly as you can over the area you wrapped with the braided line. Pull the line end (not the tag end) to tighten the knot to the hook. The one in the picture below does not have the braided line backing. BE CAREFUL TIGHTENING THE LINE AND BE CAREFUL NOT TO LET THE HOOK SLIP AND IMPALE ONE OF YOUR FINGERS!

6. Position the knot to the position you desire. This may require you to heat the mono with hot water or a heat gun to soften the mono.

7. (Optional) Once everything is in place, you can wrap a little more braided line above and below the knot on the hook to provide more stability and prevent any movement.

8. Place another coat of fishing glue or fingernail polish over any addtional wrapping to make more sturdy.

That's it!!!! Put a wacky worm on the hook and attach to your rod and reel and go getem!!

Below are some of the ones I made with and without the braided backing on the hook:

Last edited by pawpaw; 12-07-08 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-07-08, 10:07 PM   #5
pig n jig

Who makes that weighted hook ?
Old 12-07-08, 10:12 PM   #6
pawpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

I bought the hook at Walmart. Not sure of the brand name. Originally bought it for fishing a fluke but it was too heavy. I think the one in the picture is 1/16 of an oz.
Old 12-07-08, 10:46 PM   #7
CMorg

Renegade makes that hook
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 02:57 AM   #8
islandbass

I know that falcon makes one but not with red hooks. They don't sell those at my wal mart.
Old 12-08-08, 03:36 AM   #9
pig n jig

I generally use a shorter hook for wacky rigging. Gamakatsu makes a weedless finesse hook.

Thanks for the weighted wide gap hook.I am out of the loop lately on newer products.I found what I'm looking for.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.