Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-13-09, 09:15 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Found a pattern quickly

I know this may sound easy to some , but I for one have a hard time finding a pattern. I went fishing this evening because im kinda stressed out about work , put in for a differant position , interviewed today , and will find out the results tomorrow. Anyway , I found that bass were holding on the outside of isolated moss that was floating on the water surface. I caught two and knew thats were they were. I proceded to catch many more. How is this ? Was it my stress leval that interfered with my normal guessing game ??
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-09, 11:04 PM   #2
wareagledc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

stress level, no

experience, yes
wareagledc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-09, 11:08 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Way to go. It always feels good to know your onto a pattern. Catchin the fish surely brought the stress down for a while. Congrats.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 12:10 AM   #4
DonaldBreland

NO. I believe you just keyed in on the fish your were catching. Try this. The next time to go to your dollar store pick up a note tablet and a pen. Then when you miss a fish write down just how deep the water was, the water temperature, location of bite, lure and lure color, time and what cover or structure you were fishing. When trying to find a pattern a miss is as good as a catch. Jot down the notes and after 3 or four hours look at the notes. You might see that you missed a fish at 8:45 on a light green LockLizard Lure around a dock in 3 feet of water. The fish bit at the third piling around a little bit of brush in 78 degree water. Then you might see the same thing at 12:45. That's a pattern. Also this is good for establishing multiple patterns through out the day. We might think we remember details but notes remember details. Now if I'm fun fishing I wont do it as much but when I'm pre fishing I will. I hope I helped.
Old 08-14-09, 01:11 AM   #5
WTL

Good advice donald.

But I might play the devils advocate a bit here. I dont think the stress helps. But sometimes you do need a changed mindset.

Year before last, my grandfather who was 87 spent a week in a coma before passing. I was there most the entire time. On the day he passed, it was early, 11ish. Late that afternoon I had to get out, so I did what I was comfy with, I went fishing.

It turned out to be my best day ever at the decatur flats. Now I dont know why, maybe I gave more effort, or maybe the wear of the preceding week made me tune in. Have you even played basketball when sick? I have, and always shot minimum %30 better. There may be something to it, although I'm not sure we can quite define it.
Old 08-14-09, 02:55 AM   #6
DonaldBreland

I might start something up here but I'm going to say it anyway. Its God. Its his way of saying enjoy what I have created for you to ease your mind. Why do I say that? Well because it happened to me. In March of 2006 my dad was going in for a quadruple bypass surgery. He lived 7 hours away and due to my job I couldn't get down there to see him. He said that the doctors gave him a 10% chance to live. My dad believed in God and so did I but I was'nt saved nor did I read the Bible. I always said I believed in God but never praised him. So I did just what you all did and went fishing. While on the water I made promises to God that if he made it out alive, I would change my life and put my life into his hands. Well I felt something come over me and I couldn't make a mistake fishing. I didn't miss fish and I was catching the fire out of them. That went on for four days. For four days I read the Bible and I didn't curse. Well as soon as I found out my dad was going to be all right. Guess What? The same old Donald Breland came out cursing and when I went fishing again I couldn't buy a bite. Now God knew how much I loved fishing and he took my skills away. When I did get bit again I couldnt set the hook. Eventually I started catching fish again, but never like I did when I made that promise. I'm not coming on here preaching to you or anything I'm just relaying a message from God I received. On July 24th 2008 in Albany Georgia my dad passed away.
On July 26 2008 I said the sinners prayer and gave my life to God. On July 6th, 2009 I fully gave my life to Jesus Christ and believed he died for us. I believe he arose 3 days later and I believe in him and I'm thankful for him. On August 13, at Santee Cooper at 11:30 am I was baptized between two Bass Boats on the Lake. I gave my life to God and I know he has given me the power and strength to determine what is coincidence and what is God. Thanks for reading my posts and remember I am not here to judge or to throw God in your face. I am here as a fisherman to help fishermen. Thanks, Donald Breland

P.S: We had a friend of the family pass away on August 13, 2009. His name was Dylan Baughn. He was just 9 years old. Please Go to my website and look at his picture and put his family in your prayers. Thanks
Old 08-14-09, 04:38 AM   #7
WTL

Dont want to hijack the thread, but...

Certainly the idea that it was God has crossed my mind. But you know there have been some real miracles in the world, and I'm not sure if it does those miracles a disservice to attribute me catching a mess a fish to that list. It doesnt mean it wasnt a personal miracle, or that it did not affect me in such a way, but there are miracles - things that are unlikely that individuals may respect and suspect that God had a hand in, and then there are real miracles - things that everyone is touched by. I dont want to take away from the latter.

But, I will offer one other example. A few years back one of my good fishing mentors died. I made it to the lake, unbeknowst to me, the same week they decided to spread his ashes on the lake.

So we went out around noon and spread the ashes, then went back to camp. Later that evening, I went fishing on the same lake. And as sunset started, the clouds and the light fractured like so, sending a beam of light to the exact part of the lake we spread the ashes. I just sorta stopped fishing and watched, it was pretty neat.

Took 1 picture.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...56901576ivaqAt
Old 08-14-09, 08:24 AM   #8
brushhog

Sometimes stress or other emotional/ physical changes cause us to behave differently in our everyday life, why not fishing? You move a little slower a little faster, your more patient, less patient, your daydreaming or your more focussed, all of these things are impacted by mental or physical stressors and are going to impact your fishing. So, yeah, cmorg I think it could have an impact.
Old 08-14-09, 09:32 AM   #9
nofearengineer

I think having your mind on other things can often help you "break through" so to speak.

Personally, I am always running up against mental blocks on how to design things. The answer is right there, in front of me, but I just can't seem to put it together. Well, if I just put it down for a few hours, or even a few days sometimes, another seemingly independent thing will happen which triggers the thought process to solve the problem from before. Then I dash over to the computer and start to drafting it. Can't let those moments of clarity go to waste.

I'm not discounting God's influence...I've seen far too many unexplainable things to not believe in God, a higher power, whatever you want to call it. I just don't see why God would help CMorg catch more fish because he was worried about his job. That's kind of like saying I hit all green lights this morning on the way to work because God wanted me to get to work early. I'll handle the small stuff and let God help me with the hard stuff.
Old 08-14-09, 12:28 PM   #10
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Dont want to hijack the thread, but...

Certainly the idea that it was God has crossed my mind. But you know there have been some real miracles in the world, and I'm not sure if it does those miracles a disservice to attribute me catching a mess a fish to that list. It doesnt mean it wasnt a personal miracle, or that it did not affect me in such a way, but there are miracles - things that are unlikely that individuals may respect and suspect that God had a hand in, and then there are real miracles - things that everyone is touched by. I dont want to take away from the latter.

But, I will offer one other example. A few years back one of my good fishing mentors died. I made it to the lake, unbeknowst to me, the same week they decided to spread his ashes on the lake.

So we went out around noon and spread the ashes, then went back to camp. Later that evening, I went fishing on the same lake. And as sunset started, the clouds and the light fractured like so, sending a beam of light to the exact part of the lake we spread the ashes. I just sorta stopped fishing and watched, it was pretty neat.

Took 1 picture.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...56901576ivaqAt
That is an awesome picture man .

I have always found that fishing while stressed out does lead to catching more fish , I think it has to do with putting everything that is bothering you aside a focusing in on your passion .

jim
Old 08-14-09, 02:24 PM   #11
DonaldBreland

See thats the thing. God does it all. Once we start accepting that then life will go a lot easier. Or should I say. I think God has a hand in everything in our life.
Old 08-14-09, 02:46 PM   #12
cassidyta

Do not take this as me trying to say that God did not have a hand in it, but I would offer another possibility.

As men, we really can only focus on one thing as a time. This is not to say that we do not have a lot of things going on, but we do not have the same ability as a woman to allow our focus to be different items than the task at hand. If anyone doubts this, realize that men can put aside most things bothering them for the sake of intimacy. Women do not share this ability and will allow the other influences to affect their physical and mental states.

My point is that both CMorg and WTL needed to fish to take their minds off of a stressful event. I think that the added stress did in fact help. It forced them to dedicate themselves to one event in this case fishing. For different reasons, they put their mind, bodies, and souls into fishing that day. Perhaps CMorg finally looked at the water through eyes that were dedicated to fishing. Perhaps WTL fished in a way that would have made his grandfather proud.
Since I was not there, I can not say for certain.
Old 08-14-09, 02:53 PM   #13
DonaldBreland

I wasnt trying to get preachy at all. I just thank God for all that happens in life.
Old 08-14-09, 03:13 PM   #14
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I was there, and even I am not certain, about that.

Quote:
Jules from Pulp Fiction said:
Jules: Whether or not what we experienced was an According to Hoyle miracle is insignificant. What is significant is that I felt the touch of God. God got involved.
And I will leave it at quoting Pulp Fiction.
Old 08-14-09, 04:28 PM   #15
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Do not take this as me trying to say that God did not have a hand in it, but I would offer another possibility.

As men, we really can only focus on one thing as a time. This is not to say that we do not have a lot of things going on, but we do not have the same ability as a woman to allow our focus to be different items than the task at hand. If anyone doubts this, realize that men can put aside most things bothering them for the sake of intimacy. Women do not share this ability and will allow the other influences to affect their physical and mental states.

My point is that both CMorg and WTL needed to fish to take their minds off of a stressful event. I think that the added stress did in fact help. It forced them to dedicate themselves to one event in this case fishing. For different reasons, they put their mind, bodies, and souls into fishing that day. Perhaps CMorg finally looked at the water through eyes that were dedicated to fishing. Perhaps WTL fished in a way that would have made his grandfather proud.
Thats a good possibility since I do think about alot of things while fishing normally. This time , I really just cleared my mind for once.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 09:45 PM   #16
Cavs1123

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagledc View Post
stress level, no

experience, yes
im with wareagle

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.