Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-15-09, 04:43 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Braid and deep water jigging

I'm thinking about trying braid line on a casting outfit for deep water jigging with 3/4oz jigs. I"ll be using a 7 foot MH Cabelas XML rod with a Garcia Revo SX loaded with 30 pound Power Pro. I'm not going to add a flourocarbon leader as I really don't see any advantage for it. In our lakes, I don't think line visability in water deeper than 10 foot is an issue. I could be wrong but for now I'm trying staight braid. The way I have it figured, the braided line will offer very good transmission of whats going on down there with the jig. Also, the very low stretch of braid will also offer a good hookset along with the 7 foot MH rod and the higher gear ratio of the Revo SX.
What do you guys think? Have you ever used braid for this type of application, and if so, how did it go for you?
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-09, 05:01 PM   #2
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i LOVE throwin braid on jigs for the exact reason you said it, great sensitivity

and dont worry bout clarity, i caught a 6lber on a jig with braid when you could see 10-12 feet (the clearest i have ever seen lake murray)

you should love the braid, but i would go with 50 bc its about the same width and it will be a lot stronger
Old 08-15-09, 05:39 PM   #3
keithdog

Already have 30 pound on the reel aiken. But glad to see you've been happy with the braid.
Old 08-15-09, 06:49 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Keith, unless you're fishing a ton of sharp rocks, the 30lb braid will be plenty. if you are fishing in lots of rock, I'd personally use fluorocarbon since I don't like really high lb test braids (50-80).

BB
Old 08-15-09, 06:52 PM   #5
bassboogieman

When using braid I like a flurocarbon leader - for more than just the invisibility. If you hang up - breaking 30# braid is difficult, and with heavy wire hooks being tough to straighten out, I much prefer that the leader break off. Braid is too expensive to keep cutting off and I hate leaving it in the water. I use 20# braid on my spinning reels and 30# on the bait casters with about 3' of 10# leader, does not affect the sensitivity at all. My jig and frog rods have #50 braid and 17# leader. I've had no problems with this set-up.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-09, 07:37 PM   #6
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
When using braid I like a flurocarbon leader - for more than just the invisibility. If you hang up - breaking 30# braid is difficult, and with heavy wire hooks being tough to straighten out, I much prefer that the leader break off. Braid is too expensive to keep cutting off and I hate leaving it in the water. I use 20# braid on my spinning reels and 30# on the bait casters with about 3' of 10# leader, does not affect the sensitivity at all. My jig and frog rods have #50 braid and 17# leader. I've had no problems with this set-up.
There isnt much to hang up on. It's a small natural lake and the only thing I'll be dealing with is deep edges of weedbeds. No brush, rock or anything like that.

Last edited by keithdog; 08-16-09 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-15-09, 07:49 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
There isnt much to hang up on. It's a small natural lake and the only thing I'll be dealing with is deep edges of weedbeds. Bo brush, rock or anything like that.
Than you'll be fine with 30lb braid.

BB
Old 08-15-09, 07:49 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
A fluoro leader on a topwater frog rod?

BB
Old 08-16-09, 08:01 AM   #9
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

For the lake conditions you described, no leader is really required. I generally don't use a leader when pitching into weeds or stained water.

Braid is a natural for jigging deep as the line sensitivity is a real plus.
Old 08-16-09, 08:53 AM   #10
bassboogieman

Quote:
A fluoro leader on a topwater frog rod?
UHHHHHHHH NO. My mistake, the rods all have 50# braid, only the jig rods have the leader. I just didn't keep my thought process completely engaged while typing the response. And for further clairification - I only use braid on rods for plastics or jigs. Any lure that has treble hooks - those rods are spooled with YoZuri hybrid line (no leader, HA).
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.