Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-09, 01:47 PM   #1
TRUMAN BASSER
BassFishin.Com Member

Default What's Under Your Skirt

Attention to detail is often times critical when it comes to catching a lot of nice fish. When it comes to fishing jigs it is important that you have the right skirt for the conditions. Some days the fish want a fuller skirt while other days they want a more streamline profile. What the fish prefer on one lake they might not like somewhere else. The available forage, water clarity, and the mood of the fish are a couple of factors that dictate what skirt will be the best to use.
As a general rule when I'm fishing off colored water I like to use a big skirt with 120 to 150 strands. My jig out of the water resembles a koosh ball but to the bass it is easier to find because it moves a lot more water and gives off a lot more vibration. Bass in dirty water rely more on their lateral lines to find food than they do on sight so a thick skirt is usually your best bet. When I'm fishing clearer water I tend to fish smaller skirts on my jigs because I don't want the fish to get as good a look at my bait. The fish feed a lot more by sight and something smaller crawling away isn't as easy to examine. You don't want the fish to get too good a look at your bait.
Another trend that I've discovered is that early in the year I seem to have a lot more success on smaller skirts. You don't have to have a full skirt but maybe 30 or so strands when your fishing jigs in the winter. The bass don't feed as much and a big meal isn't what they are looking for either because they are trying to conserve as much energy as possible.
When you go to choosing your skirts you should always pay attention to the rate of fall you get out of your jigs. You can get a quicker drop with a lighter jig head with a smaller skirt than a heavy jig with a big skirt because of how the water will drag on the bait. The rate of fall can be really important in triggering bites from inactive fish. Sometimes a quicker fall is necessary and the fish will prefer a smaller skirt over a larger one. It is good to be aware of this.
If you want to get the most out of your jig fishing I suggest that you start building your own skirts rather than using just the ones that your jigs come on from the store. Building your own skirts is really simple once you get a little practice and will save you a lot of money and make your baits a lot more productive. You'll always have the colors you want and the style you need for the conditions your fishing. You won't have to spend time looking for skirts that are close to what you want and you'll be able to match the hatch.
In order to make skirt building a breeze you just need a few inexpensive supplies. You need some skirting material, some rubber keepers, and the Naked Bait Company Skirt Expander. The expander is a very durable tool that will last you for a long time. I have had mine for over two years now and it has built hundreds of skirts for me without showing any signs of wear. The expander is very simple to operate and is great for kids. All you have to do is put your rubber keeper on the pins in the center of the expander. Give it a little twist to open up the band. Insert your skirting material into the expander and then twist it back to close up the rubber keeper. Building your own skirts has never been so easy. Everything you need for building skirts is available for order at Naked Bait Companies website at www.nakedbaitco.com.

TRUMAN BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 06:51 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Very informative article Truman. And this will be very usfull for those who are new to jig fishin as well as those who have done some jig fishin but have yet to learn some of the finer points of the art of jigs. I've got to get me one of those skirt making tools you mention. I've put it off too long!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 08:44 PM   #3
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

good read truman thanks

jim
Old 08-20-09, 01:37 AM   #4
bassinassasin
BassFishin.Com Member

I too bought one of Naked Bait Skirt Expanders and I really do enjoy making my own skirts again, but this time with ease!!! It's so simple and the color pattern that you can come up with are endless! I am sure, like me, you have skirts in your tackle box or somewhere hiding...or worse, you threw them away. NOT ANY MORE! Not with this thing! You simply add a new color to it! The problem is that we never take our trailers off our jigs and spinnerbait...chattertype bait too. I can't forget them! The oils in the jelly trailers brake down the rubber collars and then they won't stay one the bait any more. Some like wire tied skirts on their baits. Me...I feel that makes them less life like. Also if you are looking for skirt tabs for other colors...check out livingrubber.com

see ya on the lake and save some for me!
bassinassasin is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.