Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-09, 07:52 PM   #1
TRUMAN BASSER
BassFishin.Com Member

Default The Lowdown On Line

You've got the right spot, the right rod, the right reel, and the right bait but do you have the right line for the situation? In order to be able to perform to your highest ability on the water it is essential that you spool your reels up with a quality line. I choose to fish GAMMA line because of the strength and castibiliy this line offers. When it comes to deciding on what line you use make sure you go with a quality brand and don't skimp on this part of your setup.

When your spooling your reels make sure that you have the right size line for the bait you are using and the amount of cover you are fishing. When you go to fish fish a bait like a crankbait you want to make sure that you have a line that is not so heavy that it affects the action of the bait. When I'm deep cranking I will use 10 to 12lb test GAMMA Co-Polymer because the thinner diameter line helps allow the bait to run deeper. If I'm cranking shallow wood or rock I like to jump up to 14lb test because fishing this type of cover can take its toll over time on your line if your doing a lot of crashing with your bait. You want to make sure that you can get a 6 to 7lb bass out of a tree if you must.

Certain techniques require much heavier line in order to get the bass in the boat. When I'm flipping and pitching to shallow laydowns or docks I will almost allways spool up with 20lb GAMMA. This line is really good because it has enough stretch for high impact fishing at a short distance and it is super strong and tough. If you try and fish with lighter line you are going to get your heart broken. If youare flipping you don't need to use a light line because the fish usually hit the bait on the initial fall.

For my topwaters I use a couple different line sizes depending on the bait. For my walkers I like to throw 14lb test line because I can make that long cast on those flats. I step up my line size when throwing a buzzbait. I use at least 20lb test because I'm going to be throwing them in some heavy cover. Same goes for the spinnerbait. I'm going to try and get by with the heaviest line possible because I don't believe the fish can see the line when my bait is zipping over their heads. When it comes time to throw a kermit I'm going to spool up with a quality braided line.

If I'm fishing deep clear water with a jig or worm I'm going to make the switch to flourocarbon. I am really impressed with GAMMA Edge because it is super strong and casts easy. With flouro you don't get the stretch like you do with a mono which is great when your baits down deep and you have a long distance between you and the fish. The sensitivity is unparralled. I like 14lb on the football jigs and as low as 8lb on the shakey and dropshot if I'm working deeper spots. I can get a more natural fall out of the bait which is important when your working your baits slower.

Before I hit the lake I do a couple of things to get the most out of my line. I like to take some Kevin Vandam Line and Lure conditioner or some Reel Majic and add it onto my line. I will then take the end of the line and tie it to my boat cleat and walk back and stretch out the first 40 yards or so to get rid of any memory and make the line as subtle as I can. At the end of the day this is a great process to go through again. When I am practicing or fun fishing I'll try to get by with the same line on my reels for a couple of weeks. When it comes to tournament time I always spool on fresh line because new line will always perform the best.

Finally when it comes to storing your line make sure you find a nice cool place to put your spools. I don't recommend leaving them in the car or the garage or even the boat because all these places can hurt the life of your line due to heat and moisture. The worst thing you can do is leave your line in direct sunlight. The UV rays can really weaken your line. When it comes time to make decisions on line keep these tips in mind. Until next time good fishing!
TRUMAN BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 08:54 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Wow...thanks for the subtle commercial. I don't mind advertisements, but they could at least be labeled as such.
Old 08-19-09, 09:57 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUMAN BASSER View Post

If I'm fishing deep clear water with a jig or worm I'm going to make the switch to flourocarbon. I am really impressed with GAMMA Edge because it is super strong and casts easy. (1)With flouro you don't get the stretch like you do with a mono which is great when your baits down deep and you have a long distance between you and the fish. The sensitivity is unparralled. I like 14lb on the football jigs and as low as 8lb on the shakey and dropshot if I'm working deeper spots. I can get a more natural fall out of the bait which is important when your working your baits slower.

(2)Before I hit the lake I do a couple of things to get the most out of my line. I like to take some Kevin Vandam Line and Lure conditioner or some Reel Majic and add it onto my line. I will then take the end of the line and tie it to my boat cleat and walk back and (3)stretch out the first 40 yards or so to get rid of any memory and make the line as subtle as I can. At the end of the day this is a great process to go through again. (4)When I am practicing or fun fishing I'll try to get by with the same line on my reels for a couple of weeks. When it comes to tournament time I always spool on fresh line because new line will always perform the best.

Finally when it comes to storing your line make sure you find a nice cool place to put your spools. I don't recommend leaving them in the car or the garage or even the boat because all these places can hurt the life of your line due to heat and moisture. The worst thing you can do is leave your line in direct sunlight. (5)The UV rays can really weaken your line. When it comes time to make decisions on line keep these tips in mind. Until next time good fishing!
A couple things...

1. most fluoro stretches as much as or more than mono...

2. How long is "before". I do agree to use your line conditioner after a fishing trip, but I see no point in applying it before you fish if you're not giving it enough time to completely soak into the line.

3. Stretching fluorocarbon is not a good idea. Fluoro lacks the elasticity that mono has, and therefore, once stretched, it will never return to it's original state while mono does (or at least very close to it).

4. lol, "I'll try to get by ... for a couple weeks". I'm going to take this statement into consideration when I assume you are sponsored by Gamma. That being said, most people who don't receive their line for free can't afford to change their line every couple weeks. That being said, I fish at least one season with my lines (unless I run out). Mono I change every season, fluoro gets changed every two, and braid I've been using for two years now and haven't changed it yet except for switching brands...

5. While it's true UV rays will damage nylon mono's, fluorocarbon lines are not effected. They are suposedly not effected by heat or cold either, but I still agree, don't keep them in the car or any other hot, moist place.

BB
Old 08-19-09, 10:19 PM   #4
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Cool post there.

Top-waters - 10 lb. mono.

Soft plastics - 12 lb. mono.

Jigs - 30 lb. braid or 20 lb. mono.

Finesse fishin' - 6 or 8 lb. flouro.

Crankbaits - 10 lb. flouro or mono.

Spinnerbaits - 17 or 20 lb. mono.

Frogz - 30-50 lb. braid or 20 lb. mono.
Old 08-20-09, 01:38 AM   #5
TRUMAN BASSER
BassFishin.Com Member

I can really notice the difference in stretch between flouro and mono. THe sensitivity is also noticeable. Depending on what equipment you are fishing the difference might not be as apparent. Some rods out there just are not sensitive enough for the difference to be seen. I'll spray the kvd conditioner on the night before if I can but if you put it on your line the day of the line will be a lot slicker and will give you an advantage. I don't have any problems with the flouro when I stretch it out. Works great for me on a spinning stick. One thing that you really need to watch is if you get hung on flouro and you go to break off your line by pulling it...This can damage the quality of your line but giving it a little stretch won't hurt it. I fish as much as 4 days a week at times and I'm a lot harder than most on my line. I put my bait in places most people wouldn't dare so my line takes abuse. If you fish weekends you can probably get by a couple of months without changing depending on what kind of water your fishing. If you fish open water ponds or lakes void of cover where you don't have docks, standing timber, and zebra muscles you can probably get by for a while without having to change your line.
TRUMAN BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 09:12 PM   #6
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use trilene big game (green) line in 12#,15# and 20#.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.