Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-25-09, 12:32 PM   #26
garry_3000
BassFishin.Com Active Member

When I flip matts I like to use baits like tubes, curl tail worms, mostly baits that will fall without gatherin to much weeds on the bait.
Old 02-25-09, 12:35 PM   #27
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_3000 View Post
When I flip matts I like to use baits like tubes, curl tail worms, mostly baits that will fall without gatherin to much weeds on the bait.
So a creature bait is not as good for this kind of thing as a worm?

Probably so,
Old 02-25-09, 01:14 PM   #28
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Most creature baits have more appendages to get grass/junk hung on them, unless you're talking about brush hogs or something that's meant to be flipped into heavy cover. A streamlined worm usually does better in grass.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-09, 01:17 PM   #29
garry_3000

I agree with Mississippi on this one
Old 02-25-09, 02:53 PM   #30
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Most creature baits have more appendages to get grass/junk hung on them, unless you're talking about brush hogs or something that's meant to be flipped into heavy cover. A streamlined worm usually does better in grass.
Yup I'm talking brush hogs!

What size?

Last edited by Bassboss; 02-25-09 at 03:02 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-09, 07:16 PM   #31
MississippiBoy

Sorry, can't help you there.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-09, 07:40 PM   #32
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Sorry, can't help you there.
Oh well, no biggy, I'll just use different sizes, IMO stander sizes will de best.
Old 02-25-09, 08:29 PM   #33
woody

Bassboss as a rule of thumb, I would say that the smaller sized plastics are more productive when the fish are less active. So it all depends on what the bass want.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-09, 08:53 PM   #34
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Bassboss as a rule of thumb, I would say that the smaller sized plastics are more productive when the fish are less active. So it all depends on what the bass want.

~Mark
I'll keep that in mind. This weekend the bass should be nice and active, the temps are gonna be high 70 low 80. It'll be a good change from this cool weather we've been having (well, for the bass ). Dose the same rule apply for hard baits and spinnerbaits, if so, I'll bread out some of my larger spinnerbait to try to get a hawg. The pond regular, (other than me) showed me a pic of a 22" fat bass, he caught the other weekend at 5:15, he says it's 5lbs , I say 6-7! So at least I know that that the pond hold bigger bass! It's a strictly catch and release pond, but I don't no how many people follow that rule though!

Thanks for the help guys!

This site rocks hard!
Old 02-26-09, 10:02 AM   #35
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'm not a fan of chatterbaits. I would use a spinnerbait then switch to a Strike King Rage tail Shad to cover water. Then I would switch tactics and presentations to slowly work a soft plastic over the tops of the weeds, but not allowing my lure to sink into the weeds unless there is a hole I want to explore. For me it 1/4oz T-Rigged 7-10 inch worm or a 4 inch Ulgly Otter into those holes. I've stopped carrying a 6 inch Lizzard (something I need to correct), would also be a great option.
Old 02-26-09, 11:12 AM   #36
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
I'm not a fan of chatterbaits. I would use a spinnerbait then switch to a Strike King Rage tail Shad to cover water. Then I would switch tactics and presentations to slowly work a soft plastic over the tops of the weeds, but not allowing my lure to sink into the weeds unless there is a hole I want to explore. For me it 1/4oz T-Rigged 7-10 inch worm or a 4 inch Ulgly Otter into those holes. I've stopped carrying a 6 inch Lizzard (something I need to correct), would also be a great option.
Thanks, for the tips! Would a sweet beaver work insted of a ugly otter, I don't have any, nor have I ever used them. I'll also try a ribbit, it will have the basic same effect won't it, since the ugly otter has the paddle feet too.

A rage tail craw or space monkey would do really do really good IMO!
Old 02-26-09, 11:27 AM   #37
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Thanks, for the tips! Would a sweet beaver work insted of a ugly otter, I don't have any, nor have I ever used them. I'll also try a ribbit, it will have the basic same effect won't it, since the ugly otter has the paddle feet too.

A rage tail craw or space monkey would do really do really good IMO!
A Ugly Otter is just a knock off of a Sweet Beaver. There are plenty of manufactures making them. All that I have tried, have worked just fine. The Bass really don't care which one you offer.

Any Creature bait or for that matter a 7-10 inch worm would work as long as you can effectively keep it near or on top of the weeds. My plan for using Strike King's Space Monkey this coming season is for slowly working it along weed lines, rock walls or flats with a pop/stop. To me that seems to take full advantage of those big claw type apendages.

As for using a Craw type lure. I'm sure that they work just fine. It's just that I don't use them. Why, because I have to lug all my gear to & from our reservoir boats, and just can't carry a unlimited amount of tackle, and setups. If I want to go with Craws, then I would have to leave out some thing in my creature box. I also carry Brush Hogs, for when they want really big baits.
Old 02-27-09, 09:23 PM   #38
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
A Ugly Otter is just a knock off of a Sweet Beaver. There are plenty of manufactures making them. All that I have tried, have worked just fine. The Bass really don't care which one you offer.

Any Creature bait or for that matter a 7-10 inch worm would work as long as you can effectively keep it near or on top of the weeds. My plan for using Strike King's Space Monkey this coming season is for slowly working it along weed lines, rock walls or flats with a pop/stop. To me that seems to take full advantage of those big claw type apendages.

As for using a Craw type lure. I'm sure that they work just fine. It's just that I don't use them. Why, because I have to lug all my gear to & from our reservoir boats, and just can't carry a unlimited amount of tackle, and setups. If I want to go with Craws, then I would have to leave out some thing in my creature box. I also carry Brush Hogs, for when they want really big baits.
Thanks Joel!
Old 02-27-09, 09:31 PM   #39
zooker

ummm like any time the water is slick and dead calm i throw a chatter bait some times..but for me i throw a blade alot more..

zooker
Old 02-27-09, 09:40 PM   #40
Jigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
BUZZ IT MAN. then frog it, spinner it. pop-r it, spook it. get the idea? then try the lizard without a weight. texas rig, no weight.
This is good advice. After looking at that pond I'd also definitely try a fluke and a trick worm. No wt. Jerk, jerk--------pause--------jerk, jerk, jerk------pause-------etc, etc, etc,. That's after the water warms this Spring.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-09, 10:35 AM   #41
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
This is good advice. After looking at that pond I'd also definitely try a fluke and a trick worm. No wt. Jerk, jerk--------pause--------jerk, jerk, jerk------pause-------etc, etc, etc,. That's after the water warms this Spring.
Thanks, I'll defiantly keep that in mind!
Old 02-28-09, 04:33 PM   #42
Jim80

spinner over chatter in my opinion , in your pond i would throw a senko man, or a worm t-rigged and skin hooked .

Jim

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.