Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-16-09, 06:14 AM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Night Fishing

I'd like to do more night fishing, but it's sort of problematic for me. I see a lot of hawgs caught night fishing, and would sure like to get in on the action.

I don't know about where you live, but in Indiana, we have to have running and nav lights on the boat between dusk and dawn. Mine are so bright, unless it's a full moon, they keep your eyes from ever acclimating to the darkness.

I am wondering if it's legal to put some shroud on them so that they don't shine up past horizontal, i.e, on the boat deck but not in your eyes.
Anyone have the same experience?
Old 08-16-09, 07:37 AM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Nofear check your state dnr website they should have the guidelines for what you can and can't do with the lights on your boat at night

jim
Old 08-16-09, 07:59 AM   #3
JB

In Indiana you must have your running lights on front and back , you could always take a empty toilet paper roll and cut off half a section to tape over the light if its in your eyes, then rip it off if the dnr comes by. Most lakes the DNR guy is only working day shift tho. I'd have them on for your own safety. I see all guys have them on when driving in the dark that's for sure. You may get away with taking the back pole light out once you settle in to fish, its the brighter one. I am sure the dnr will tell you to keep them both ON during dark / nighttime conditions for safety. Also a plug in light like one of those million candles amount of light comes in handy for looking around and down the bank, esp if ya see a pair of eyes on the bank. Helps if it gets foggy too, nothing scarier than having to run in the fog.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 10:23 AM   #4
basser101
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey Guys,
I've been bass fishin at night for quite a few years now and here's a few things I do. Ohio has the same laws. I took the cover off my rear running light and put a piece of tape inside the cover toward the front and a little toward the left side of the boat. That also helps when driving the boat at night. It cuts down on the glare from the rear. For fishing I use a blacklight/white flourescent light along with fluorescent line. As far as using a light for retieing, I'll use a small flashlight with a red lense. This will eliminate and bugs from flying in your face. Hope this info helps.
Old 08-16-09, 11:17 AM   #5
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I'd like to do more night fishing, but it's sort of problematic for me. I see a lot of hawgs caught night fishing, and would sure like to get in on the action.

I don't know about where you live, but in Indiana, we have to have running and nav lights on the boat between dusk and dawn. Mine are so bright, unless it's a full moon, they keep your eyes from ever acclimating to the darkness.

I am wondering if it's legal to put some shroud on them so that they don't shine up past horizontal, i.e, on the boat deck but not in your eyes. Anyone have the same experience?
I would say that it is okay. I have seen pole lights that did not shine up past horizontal.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 08:48 PM   #6
woody

This is what I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MP63508956_bg.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	4081  
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 10:03 PM   #7
nofearengineer

That's cool...I like how it has the hinge in it. My lights are both straight vertical though, so I'm probably going to try to rig up some form of tear-away shroud. At least it doesn't have to be durable to withstand wind. Even if it were legal to drive fast at night, I wouldn't do it hehe.

Basser, that is a great idea with the RED light! The last time I tried night fishing I had so many bugs in my face when trying to retie. I even swallowed a couple...cough, cough. I forgot that they are not attracted to red as much. I'm gonna get one of those.
Old 08-17-09, 06:51 AM   #8
basser101
BassFishin.Com Member

nofearengineer,
Have no fear. You can easily make one by taking a piece of plastic and cut it to the size of the flashlight lense and color it with a permanent red magic marker. The more you color the lense the darker it will get. You can use the plastic from a pack of new batteries.
Old 08-17-09, 09:57 AM   #9
WaffleJaw

i read about someone using cut mountain dew bottleS...to cover thier lights and worked like charm.......Im pretty sure it was mountain dew. it takes away the glare and still lets out all the light for safety. W
Old 08-17-09, 10:28 AM   #10
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
i read about someone using cut mountain dew bottleS...to cover thier lights and worked like charm.......Im pretty sure it was mountain dew. it takes away the glare and still lets out all the light for safety. W
It's good to know I'm not the only person who has had this same complaint.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.