Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-25-09, 08:43 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Senko Rod?

Hey guys, Right now, I'm using the same 6'6" MH rod for both spinnerbaits and t-rigs.

I'm looking into getting my next rod just for T-rigs and weightless senkos, I just don't know how long it's gonna take for save up enough to get it, lol.

I prefer a 7' rod over the 6'6" for these things, but I'm not sure if I want to go with a M or MH. The M would help in casting the weightless senkos, but is it gonna have enough backbone to set the hook on them at long distances or fish weighted T-rigs? It's probably going to be Fast action.

What do you guys use for Senkos (not wacky rigged) and T-rigs. I'm more concerned with specifications than brands right now.

BB
Old 09-25-09, 09:27 AM   #2
Kevin
Administrator

Hi BB... you're certainly right about moving to a 7' from a 6'6" for worming and senkos. The added 6" really helps for setting the hook, making long casts and getting fish out of cover.

As to the action of the rod, you definitely want to go with MH. Senkos cast just fine with MH tackle. A Medium action rod will not give you the power you need to set the hook on fish in cover, especially around vegetation where your line might be draped over the grass.

Another important thing to remember for weightless or worming type presentations is the overall weight of the rod (not action). This is one of those instances where a light rod (as opposed to heavy) will give you increased sensitivity and control. For the presentations you speak of, I would go with a fast tip, or even x-fast.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 09:30 AM   #3
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i have to agree with Kevin on the longer rod and i would def go mh , with a fast or xtra fast tip you should not have to much trouble casting a weightless senko and would still have enough backbone for your weighted t-rigs .

jim
Old 09-25-09, 09:34 AM   #4
WaffleJaw

I always feel more comfortable with MH/fast for T-rigs.
I too,prefer 7' over 6'6...I feel the all around control of a heavy fish/distance is easier with one.
I've never used a Med. rod,so I dont know how they handle as far as backbone and hook-sets.
Anyway,thats my T-rigging rod...Would love to sling a 7'6,but Im tired of cutting tree limbs,lol
Old 09-25-09, 11:18 AM   #5
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default My general rules....

1) Use as heavy an action as I can and still comfortably cast the
baits I am using.
2) Longer is better than shorter, 90% of the time.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 11:37 AM   #6
Bassboss

I'd got with 6'10", or 6'9", I like that length over 7' and 6'6''. The reason is because I've more control, and more casting distance! They also tend to be more balanced. As far as action, it all depends on what kind of cover you're fishing. if your skipping them, than go with M, if you casting them in grass, than use MH! But over all, I'd go with a MH Fast action rod, 6'10" or 9". Its kinda hard to find a rod that's got these length, but one I know that has it is the Shimano Cumra, as long as you don't fish heavy weighted t rigs in heavy cover, you should be fine with it!

Slap some 14 or 15lb flouro on there, and you set!

Old 09-25-09, 12:04 PM   #7
bassboogieman

6'9" MH casting for me. Happy medium in the trade off between the accurate casting of the 6'6' and the distance of the 7' rod. Mine is a Kistler and there are several models in this size.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 01:56 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Thanks guys. I was really leaning towards the MH, but just wanted a little push. I think I'm gonna keep it 6'10" - 7'2"

I'm looking at rods from Shimano, Falcon, G.Loomis, Daiwa, and Kistler. I've got plenty of time to decide while I save up enough money, lol.

BB
Old 09-25-09, 05:16 PM   #9
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Thanks guys. I was really leaning towards the MH, but just wanted a little push. I think I'm gonna keep it 6'10" - 7'2"

I'm looking at rods from Shimano, Falcon, G.Loomis, Daiwa, and Kistler. I've got plenty of time to decide while I save up enough money, lol.

BB
Check this out! Looks like it would be a rod for what you wanna do, and not to 'spensive. I would DEFIANTLY handle one first though, it seem to go to be true for the price, but I could be wrong, and it is an All Star rod.
Old 09-25-09, 05:23 PM   #10
BassinBandit

Personally I use a spinning rod for my Senkos, It is 6'6 Diawa light and tuff. I cant skip with a baitcaster yet but I can use that spinning rod to put it where ever I want to. I like to use that so i can put it way up under docks but if you are a good skipper with a baitcaster I wouldn't know exactly what you should get. I use Senkos a lot and I bought that rod two years ago and I love it.
Old 09-25-09, 06:14 PM   #11
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I use a 6' 6" MH All star instinct with a REVO S on it for my worm rod.

And a 7' MH Fenwick GT with a REVO S for my spinner bait rod.

I love both of them and would recomend them both.
Old 12-13-09, 10:02 PM   #12
Backwater Charlie

7' medium action would do fine for T-rigs and great for weightless Senko's. I don't have enough money to get a new fangled rod and reel (lol). I use a 6' medium/heavy rod for T-rigs but would much rather have a long (7') rod with a lighter action (medium action). I have a 6'6 medium action spinning rod with no reel that would do good for Senko's.
Old 12-18-09, 08:35 AM   #13
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

I like 6'6 rods m with fast tip enough back bone and sensitive enough for the lightest bite I've used the 7' mh and just don't like the feel its all preference you'll have to try for yourself use a friends if poss before u go out and buy.
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-09, 08:58 PM   #14
BeaverIslander

I use a 7' MH spinning setup and 20 lb braid for Senkos because I generally only fish them near docks, and this combo works well for skipping. When I toss them into the weeds on occasion, I use my spinnerbait combo, which is a 7' MH casting setup with 17 lb mono. They both seem to work well. I wouldn't fret too much over a few inches in rod length.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-09, 09:49 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslander View Post
I use a 7' MH spinning setup and 20 lb braid for Senkos because I generally only fish them near docks, and this combo works well for skipping. When I toss them into the weeds on occasion, I use my spinnerbait combo, which is a 7' MH casting setup with 17 lb mono. They both seem to work well. I wouldn't fret too much over a few inches in rod length.
Actually, those six inches to quite a bit to help your hookset.

Without taking into account line stretch or the bend of the rod, consider this:

1. Starting at the 3 o'clock position with a 7' (84") rod, and bringing up to the 12 o'clock position (which results in a 90 degree angle), results in an arc that is approximately 132" (11 feet).

2. Same situation with a 6'6" rod (78"), results in an arc with the length of approximately 122" (about 10'2").

Like I said, without accounting for rod bend (which should be similar in two rods with the same actions and powers, but different lengths (6'6" vs 7'), the 7' rod will pull about 10" more line than the 6'6" rod. I don't know how much pressure this would add, but It'll definately improve your hooksets.

I got these numbers by setting the rods up as a quarter of a circle, with the rod at 0 and 90 degrees (3 and 12 o'clock). Then I used the rod length as the radius of the circle in the formula (2~r)/4 to find the arc length (the ~ represent pi since I don't have a pi symbol on my keyboard. I used 3.14 for pi). This is the circumference formula divided by 4 (for the quarter of a circle). The values of the arc lengths were rounded to the nearest inch. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of these calculations.

BB
Old 12-18-09, 11:13 PM   #16
BeaverIslander

I advocate using the long rods, 7 foot plus. You're right, the length helps with taking up slack on a hookset, fishing in current, fighting a fish, preventing it from jumping, deep diving a crankbait, casting distance, etc.

I had the 6' 9" Vs. 7' debate in mind when I wrote that.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-09, 03:59 PM   #17
Acm4bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Try an St. Croix AVID medium power fast tip casting rod..called a teaser rod....sells for a bit over 100...maybe 110-150 tops.
Acm4bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-09, 02:13 AM   #18
Rebbasser

I use 2 Falcon Low Rider weightless worm rods. One for wacky rigs, one for weightless T-rigs. I ALWAYS have one or the other on the deck.
Old 12-24-09, 04:27 AM   #19
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I picked up the 6'9" kistler helium lta MH this year for senkos, jerkbaits, and some light t-rig applications. While the jerkbait was the main technique that I was concerned with I feel that it will give me some great sensitivity with the senkos as well as the ability to skip a little better.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.