Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-09-10, 09:29 PM   #1
rescue.tech
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Water clarity when throwing worms and Jigs

Hello folks, I am new to soft plastics and jigs. I was wondering when a person wont throw them when the Vis goes down to a certain level and if so what level that might be?

You see we dont have much clear water around here. There is one lake that I can go to the vis is pretty good like up to maybe six feet. But most of the time the other water is less than two feet.

I would like to start learning plastic and jigs but I think I might be wasting my time if the fish wont or cant see it and the such. I am mostly just using plain worms and jigs,they dont have any rattles or anything that is made to make noise.

So what are your suggestions?
Thanks for the help

Clint
rescue.tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 09:37 PM   #2
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I throw worms and jigs in all water colors. I do change the color of the worm I throw, in clear water I throw natural colors and dirty water I throw darker colors.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 09:46 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

There isn't water too clear or too muddy to throw a jig in. I throw them in water that is gin clear as well as water that is very muddy, just adjust your colors and you will be fine. Fish that live in muddy water have to eat too, so they are still able to find food by other means than just sight (sound, vibrations, and smell). As a general rule the muddier the water is the more bulky of a profile I want. This includes more full skirts (like our 80 strand skirts at ThunderStruck Jigs), and trailers that are more bulky and move more water.

On our website we have a few videos that cover a lot of different aspects of jig fishing, they might help you some so if you get a chance drop by and check them out. www.thunderstruckjigs.com
Old 08-09-10, 11:04 PM   #4
bamabassman

this is covered very well. i too throw worms and jigs (IF i ever get out again,lol) in every type of water. muddier the water though...the darker the lure.
Old 08-09-10, 11:10 PM   #5
rescue.tech
BassFishin.Com Member

Well that settles it and thanks for the replys, I am throwing the worms and jigs. I will be using some this weekend then.

again thanks for the replys.

I do love this site I have been lurking a long time and I thought I might as well get out there and be part of the action.

thanks
Clint
Old 08-10-10, 01:13 AM   #6
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue.tech View Post
Well that settles it and thanks for the replys, I am throwing the worms and jigs. I will be using some this weekend then.

again thanks for the replys.

I do love this site I have been lurking a long time and I thought I might as well get out there and be part of the action.

thanks
Clint
Glad to have ya!
Old 08-10-10, 07:25 AM   #7
Mac2

In addition to natural colors in clear waters, you can also use translucent and nearly transparent colors such as grasshopper which has a neon chartreuse and amber which are both nearly transparent. Also smoke with red glitter, etc.etc.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 09:38 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've fished jigs and worms in water from 12'+ visibility and down to about 8" of visibility. And they work in both and everywhere in between. However, when I fish in the 8" of vis lake, I tend to use jigs with thicker skirts and bulkier trailers. Same goes for worms. I'll use a bigger worm, like a 10".

BB
Old 08-10-10, 12:37 PM   #9
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Also consdier the use of rattles or glass beads/sinker combos to give a little more noise in muddy water...makes it easier for the fish to find if they can feel vibrations
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 07:23 PM   #10
bamabassman

VERY good point walker, forgot about that. thanks man!
anthony that is also a VERY good point, forgot that too.

mannnnnnnn................... i have GOT to go fishing soon. lmao!
Old 08-10-10, 07:27 PM   #11
Ground Pounder

Here's an article on TackleMaking.com that talks quite a bit about color selection, color filtration in water depths, and matching water color.
Ground Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 09:51 PM   #12
rescue.tech
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground Pounder View Post
Here's an article on TackleMaking.com that talks quite a bit about color selection, color filtration in water depths, and matching water color.

Ground pounder, thanks for the link, that thing looks detailed. I havent read it yet but I will I want to take my time and read it when I know I will understand it.

everyone else thanks for the welcome and the tips. I will be looking for anymore that you might have.

thanks again
Clint
Old 08-13-10, 01:07 AM   #13
Rebbasser

Here is my rule of thumb:

Clear water-natural colors such as green pumpkin, watermelo red, and watermelon candy.

Stained water-I add some chartreuse, either lures with chartreuse in in or dip the tail like with chartreuse Spike-It.

Muddy-dark colors when it is cloudy, bright colors when it is sunny.

That said, don;t be afraid to experiment with different colors in different colors and out of the norm colors.
Old 08-14-10, 01:43 PM   #14
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

http://www.texastacklefactory.com/in...d=5&Itemid=111

Yes it is a saltwater swimbait chart but it pretty much nails color selection when targeting bass as well...

rebbassser has probably seen this on TKF, but his selections are exactly what this chart calls for...

I especially like the statement that says use the most natural color present conditions will allow...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 02:54 PM   #15
BrownHL
BassFishin.Com Member

On the Tidal Potomac, the average visibility is 1-2" and I consistantly catch bass of a #213 Senko, emerald/purple flake and green pumpkin/gold flake, or just green pumpkin.
BrownHL is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.