Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 11-09-12, 02:08 PM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Mono backing on braid....

As probably like some of you all I took advantage of TW's Sunline sale and have stripped that horrible P-Line floroclear off of my DS rig. Now it's time to re-spool it.

With that said I've been contemplating putting a 10lb braid on my DS with a nice leader of flouro.

Is there a need to put a mono backing behind braid on spinning gear? For the amount of line used I understand that concept and I understand the concept of it on a bait caster, just not sure if it worthwhile on spinning gear.

Shoot is it even worthwhile to put braid on my DS set up? I use it for shaky heads and light swimbaits too.

I like the sensitivity I get out of my braid.

My only major concern is it seems like when you have 3 different types of line spliced together it give you one more point of failure.

Thoughts, suggestions

Am I over thinking this?

Thanks guys and Gal
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-12, 02:47 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think you are overthinking on it

IMO it is personal preference. I don't use a mono backing on most rods. I do on my flipping rod because 1) it was on the reel I use-that is the main reason-and 2) this is a short line technique so you do not need a whole lot of line.

You can tie the line directly to the spool or even tape it on. Remember, no bass will spool you so how you attach the line to the spool is not near as important as the knot you use to tie on the rig.

Sorry you don't like the fluoroclear. I absolutely love it.
Old 11-09-12, 02:51 PM   #3
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

P-Line Fluoroclear is not the best choice for spinning gear, as you have witnessed, but to call it horrible line is unfair. It is just too stiff for that application, as most FC lines tend to be.
I don't use much spinning equipment, but I did work at a large retail sporting goods store, we always back braid with a small amount of mono. It not only reduces the amount of braided line needed but also keeps the line from spinning on the spool.

If you back your braid with a small amount of mono, chances are that you will never reach that knot during normal fishing. A good quality knot like an Alberto or Albright, when tied correctly have great strength and retention, chances are the line will fail before the knot, due to abrasion or kinks.

In my opinion low test braided line with a leader is almost the perfect solution for spinning gear.
Old 11-09-12, 02:54 PM   #4
joedog

First, on most older model spinning reels you must/should use mono backing otherwise the whole spool of line slips on the reel. Some anglers will use tape to attach to reel and braid but braid usually comes in like 125yd spools and any spinning reel other than ultra lights will hold 220 or more. Solution, backing.
Some newer braid ready spools it's not necessary any more but I still do.
Knot failure at that knot, will probably never see the light of day cause it's buried under 125 feet of braid, so no worries there! Once you do see the backing on like a long cast, it's time to re-spool.
Next I use fluoro leaders on 'most' set ups with braid so that challenge doesn't worry me either.
I actually have 2 spinning drop shot set ups, set up the EXACT way your thinking of!
Next, if you don't want the braid leader knot breakage worry, take a black Sharpie and mask like 3 feet of the braid closest to the lure. If your waters have any color at all, you'll be flat out amazed the stealthiness of the blackened braid. It almost seems to disappear. I do this on any setup with braid and no leader.

Finally the over thinking. I really can't comment because I don't think I EVER have experienced that feeling!

Actual in my book, 'to much information is just not quite enough information'!
Old 11-09-12, 05:11 PM   #5
USMCbassman

If I offended anyone by calling floroclear horrible, I apologize...not my intent. I have more insight to back up my feelings for the line and the experience I've had using it. That what this thread isn't about though so I'll save it for another time or a separate discussion.

I appreciate the input guys and see each one of your points. I was also under the impression that a mono backing for braid on a bait caster was to help the braid come off the spool quicker/easier too, no?

I spooled up my frog and jig rod with some 40lb Sufix here a while back, went and did some fishing (multiple times) and noticed the line was rough coming off the spool, distance was bad, etc. Then I realized the only I thing did different spooling up the reel this go around was I'd forgot to put a mono backing on it. Every time prior to that I used a mono backing and things seemed normal.

For my DS rig reel it came with a spool specifically for braid. I definitely don't want to spool it up with all flouro as the capacity of the reel is ginormous. When stripping the P-line off I didn't think I was ever going to get to the end of it...LOL.

I do think that I'll go with braid and flouro leader.

Another question: On my frog rod do you all think I can take the braid that's on there now off, put a mono backing on it and safely re-use the braid? I think it still has a lot of life left in it?
Old 11-09-12, 05:52 PM   #6
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbassman View Post
Another question: On my frog rod do you all think I can take the braid that's on there now off, put a mono backing on it and safely re-use the braid? I think it still has a lot of life left in it?
The best way to go about that is to get an empty reel and actually spool it up from the first reel. After you get the mono backing on, you can reverse it and respool the backed reel.
Old 11-09-12, 06:19 PM   #7
bassboogieman

I use braid on spinning gear and I use backing, just to reduce the amount of the more costly braid. Joe's suggestion is a good one, using the spare spool. But for me mono is so cheap, and I ofter use older line (not always mono, as I don't use it) as backing material. I wind it on ustil I have the spool loaded to where I want it, then remove about 40 yds. (yeah, I measure it - can't help being anal), splice on the braid, put a wrap of eletrical tape over the backing and fill the spool. I use the tape to keep the braid from digging into the backing, and when you get a loop on the spool, it won't be very deep. If you're fishing deeper than 100' or typically cast farther than the 40 yds, then increase the amount of braid.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-12, 08:28 PM   #8
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbassman View Post
If I offended anyone by calling floroclear horrible, I apologize...not my intent. I have more insight to back up my feelings for the line and the experience I've had using it. That what this thread isn't about though so I'll save it for another time or a separate discussion.

I appreciate the input guys and see each one of your points. I was also under the impression that a mono backing for braid on a bait caster was to help the braid come off the spool quicker/easier too, no?

I spooled up my frog and jig rod with some 40lb Sufix here a while back, went and did some fishing (multiple times) and noticed the line was rough coming off the spool, distance was bad, etc. Then I realized the only I thing did different spooling up the reel this go around was I'd forgot to put a mono backing on it. Every time prior to that I used a mono backing and things seemed normal.

For my DS rig reel it came with a spool specifically for braid. I definitely don't want to spool it up with all flouro as the capacity of the reel is ginormous. When stripping the P-line off I didn't think I was ever going to get to the end of it...LOL.

I do think that I'll go with braid and flouro leader.

Heck, if you offended anyone by stating you don't like P-Line, they might be a little too sensative. I just thought that maybe your experience and comments about P-Line were because of how it performed on your spinning gear. I know at one time there were several guys here that used one version of P-Line or another. Guess that's why there are so many lines out there, so we have choices.
Old 11-09-12, 08:37 PM   #9
Marty

Quote:
My only major concern is it seems like when you have 3 different types of line spliced together it give you one more point of failure.
That is true, but you should never get down to that second knot, so you just have one extra knot. I don't use leaders, so I have no experience, but I would think if you use the right knot and tie it right, then the chances of breakage are small.

As to backing, I use cheap mono and use enough of it such that there's room for 50-60 yards of braid, which I think is more than enough for bass fishing. My thinking is that I can get three spoolings from a 150-yard supply spool.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-12, 09:32 PM   #10
bamabassman

marine...yeah buddy, oyu are over tinking the backing. all i use is the CHEAPEST mono i can find. it doesn' matter what it is. it is jsut filler. strip off the flouro, i never used it myself and see no reaso to for MY type of fishing anyway. get the cheapest mono, that way oyu save a little money in the process. fill it hallf witht he ono, then tie,tape, whatever...to the braid. oyu'll be fine.
Old 11-09-12, 10:29 PM   #11
USMCbassman

Well, I'll tell you this...nothing is cheap in Kalifornia! I went to Sports Authority today to pick up some Sufix and they wanted 26.99 for 150 yards of 40lb test! No BS my fellow fishin' brethren, I almost crapped myself when I seen that!

So the bait monkey got his fix with a R2S S-Waver and a couple of lipless cranks. Trout stockings are getting ready to take place at a lot of local lakes/reservoirs; however, I will be ordering some braid from TW or somewhere else for a more appropriate price.

Thanks again all..mono y mono or I guess I should say mono y braid it is
Old 11-09-12, 11:15 PM   #12
Bassboss

I always add a mono backing in order to conserve the braid. But I certainly don't consider it mandatory!
Old 11-10-12, 01:05 AM   #13
bassboogieman

Those dang crazy Californians and their trout stockings - they's just nutz.

I now return you to the original thread topic..................
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 01:42 AM   #14
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
That one took me a minute, I'm a little slow. Well played
Old 11-10-12, 05:14 AM   #15
joedog

Quote:
those dang crazy californians and their trout stockings - they's just nutz.

i now return you to the original thread topic..................
Bruce,
That certainly is a different 'ankle' to seeing things.

Last edited by joedog; 11-10-12 at 07:03 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 03:56 PM   #16
USMCbassman

LOL! Joe, like you, it took me a minute to get that!
Old 11-11-12, 12:31 AM   #17
bassinbob

Would like those hung by my chimney with care full of baits.
Old 11-11-12, 12:43 AM   #18
Rebbasser

Quote:

I laughed

A different "ankle", Joe? Groan

This thread could go south in a real big hurry

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.