Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-06, 11:27 AM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Got Horny This Morning

Horny toad that is.......man first time using this frog type bait, its AWESOME!

Got about a dozen 14-16 inch fish, also liked the way it turns and spirals as you let it descend in pockets..
First time with powerpro froggin, I've been missin out rofl..its great..
some of the fish looked like torpedos comming out of the reeds, trees, and scummymoss on the sides, non of the ones I caught would go through the mat, but were eager to bust is as it cruised by..
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-06, 12:11 PM   #2
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i seen them at the fishin show they are a neat bait
Old 05-05-06, 01:23 PM   #3
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

man, fish them if you haven't!!!!! They are a lot of fun....actually, any frog is a LOT of fun to fish. I'm partial to the horny toad but ...wow, its hard to take one off and switch to another lure I like them so much.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-06, 01:41 PM   #4
JB

Thumbs up

I got about 3 fish on each toad till the plastic got so ripped near the eyelet the frog start turning on me, so I got a new one and can see now I need to purchase more...Some characteristics I liked were the downward slow descent, in a spiral, also you can work it on its back or belly on the mat, but once it hits water, it turns every time so that the hook is under the belly and the frog is performing correctly...Another feature I noticed was its almost like a finnese top water bait, in order for me to keep the legs kickin', I had to slow reel it plus keep my rod tip at 45 degrees...
Other than that only missed one, got her half way back to the boat and she came off, but most hit it hard and shot
the toad up the powerpro line, I got great hooksets, and had many hits as I was swimming it a few inches below the surface..I found the key today was to swim it but objects , I think the bass were sitting ready to ambush any critter that comes by.
Old 05-05-06, 03:34 PM   #5
flfireman

Love them things. Use black or white. Haven't had a need for any other color. Only problem Ive experienced is you need a wider hook. Most worm hooks dont seem to penetrate enough on hookset. A lot of the guys here have been using small zip ties and keeping the hook exposed above the back between the legs.
Old 05-05-06, 04:38 PM   #6
DelawareBass-R
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to DelawareBass-R Send a message via MSN to DelawareBass-R

I too have some horny toads, but they are white. I haven't had much success around here lately on them, but during the hotter months when more frogs are around i will give them a better try. I will say this for them baits, you can cast them a hell of a way with no problem, and you can work them really slow and the tails will still move. I'm thinking of taking some lure paint, and painting the tops of the frogs green, leave the belly white....i think the natural color should help me bring more bass in on them...but i can't wait to give them a shot when bass are really biting.

PS...for you spinnerbait lovers out there, this frog is like a soft spinner, i mean they can be worked almost exactly like one, i would suggest this bait if your looking for something new.
DelawareBass-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-06, 06:17 PM   #7
bass kicker

how do you fish the horny taod
Old 05-05-06, 07:00 PM   #8
Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass kicker
how do you fish the horny taod
Just about any way that works. You can burn it in as a top water like a buzz bait with the legs spinning around or like a forg and "hop" it across lilly pads or weed beds or fish it like a worm or any way you like! That is one of the reasons I like them so much. I usually cast it into a heavily covered area, hop it across the top, then let if fall when it gets to the edge.
My favorite colors are the all white and the dark blue with chartruse legs.
Edit: I usually use a 5/0 hook with these. I have never tried them with weights but i might try them with some of the "butt dragger" hooks I just got.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-06, 07:17 PM   #9
JB

I was using the 5/0 offset gammy, and threw into the heaviest of cover I could find, I had one cast that landed over a willow limb, the hornytoad hit the water and a bass inhaled it.
Old 05-05-06, 08:49 PM   #10
Rebbasser

You might be a bass fisherman #147:

You see a thread with the word "horny" and the first thing you think of is a fishing lure .
Old 05-05-06, 08:50 PM   #11
zooker

jb
try twitchin it like a short stroked soft jerk bait and do it weightless.. thru over just under the surface it kicks..

zooker
Old 05-05-06, 09:24 PM   #12
JB

zooker,
I thought you was on the road
Old 05-06-06, 02:59 AM   #13
zooker

now now jb notice the time i post this..

thats 3am eastern

zooker
Old 05-06-06, 03:08 AM   #14
flippin4it
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It is 3 A.M. eastern time!!!!!!!! I must be trippin'.
Old 05-06-06, 06:16 AM   #15
1FASTLASER

Been doing some experimenting with these newer frogs and love em. Has anyone used the Gambler Cane toad. Supposedly you can fish em slower. I have been using the ribbits by netbait and really had good success. There are times I definatley see the need to fish em slower.
Old 05-06-06, 01:39 PM   #16
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Laser I'm almost ALWAYS fishing them slower. Its rare that I actually use them as a buzzbait like they are intended. Most of the time I am swimming them anywhere under the surface or hopping them along on the bottom or fishing it like a jerkbait. Those have been by FAR my best producers and why I always go back to doing those things with the frog.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-06, 08:17 AM   #17
zooker

after i posted that i went to finish the second day of a 2 day federation tourny. i hung a big bass on a horny toad around 7 am that got under a steel dock. after 1 mintue or 2 -it felt like 8-10- he came out from under the dock and ran under the nose of the boat to a brush pile. i could not stop or turn this fish with a 7'6'' x-heavy rod using 30 pound braid. he actually was pulling drag which was almost locked down. he broke the 30 pound power pro when he got to the brush pile. after several mintues of uncontroled hand tremblins i went to retie the power pro 10-12 feet of it was shredded i was guessin that fish to be 6-7 pounds my partner who was up front got the best look said it looked 8+pounds.. i did pull it togather enough to FIANALLY weighin 2 keepers

zooker
Old 05-08-06, 05:52 AM   #18
1FASTLASER

ctually watched a show saturday eveing where they had a small tourney on High Rock. Gotta tell ya that lake has some potential for some excellant fish. I assume you where fishing High Rock zook????? What water they did show looked PERFECT for my style fishing. Up in the nose of the boat soaking the water with a PNJ. One thing that caught me off guard is the fella made almost the exact staement you did zook to me several months ago. All my fish came off 1 tree. Ifn my memory serves me right you said this is the norm more than an exception when fishing this lake.
Old 05-08-06, 06:04 PM   #19
zooker

no laser we were NOT fishing high rock.-probly would have weighed in more fish there- but we were fishin lake tillery. a cp&l controled lake. not an alcoa controled lake like high rock. cp&l draws during the day light times. a 24" fluctuation is the norm. high rock being the upper most dam on the yadkin chain means it's flow vary's according to rain fall more then the power watt output.

umm yes and no on my statement a lower water level -5 feet below full pond will set up this type of fish stacking -10 feet is even better. if the lake is -2or above the fish scatter out to he!! and gone..mind you -1.28 below is about the no pass level for many of the bridges on this lake cutting off major creeks-flat swamp,abbotts,and i believe swearing-to boat access..

zooker
Old 05-08-06, 06:08 PM   #20
pig n jig

JB,the girls at the factory make ya brownies with horny goat weed in them again ? P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-06, 06:11 PM   #21
zooker

that what they are calling left handed rabbit baccy now adays??

zooker
Old 05-08-06, 08:03 PM   #22
JB

Talking

pnj,
i am told by mrs. J that I am hornery 'nuff without any goat weed, but
feel free to whip up a batch and send to oHIo.......mkay?

The Bad thing about work zooker, is those vending machine rat
'waterheaded-tards keep stockin up that dern goat whacky

Old 05-09-06, 05:29 AM   #23
1FASTLASER

LMAO!! Damn JB you got a pic for EVERYTHING dont ya. Got any redheaded women wearin cowboys hats??????????? Preferably in there birthday suit.ROTFLMAO!!!!!!
Old 05-09-06, 06:21 PM   #24
zooker

sure he does laser he knows me.... and i ask you. who else has a collection as big as mine??

zooker
Old 05-09-06, 07:52 PM   #25
JB

laser, due to the peeps being underage, i had to dress her.....rofl
Click image for larger version

Name:	cowgirl copy.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	387

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.