Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-17-06, 07:56 AM   #1
m cress
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Have topwaters gone the way of the Dodo?

After browsing for a couple of days now, I notice that very few of you guys discuss or endorse topwater fishing. Has it fallen out of fashion and I didn't notice? That has always been my go-to presentation and I am usually successful. Nothin like a topwater strike.
m cress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-06, 10:24 AM   #2
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i still use topwaters. i tie on topwaters quite often. I'm often fishing them when the conditions aren't right, I'm just always looking for that explosive topwater strike. catching fish can be fun, catching fish on topwaters IS A BLAST!
Old 06-17-06, 12:02 PM   #3
pig n jig

There isn't a day on the water without a top water lure tied on in the boat, sometimes 3 different types until I figure out which they prefer.Its easier than taking the time to rerig the same rod.With that being said, you need a sub surface bait tied on as well. p n j
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-06, 12:53 PM   #4
crankybait

i=are topwaters easier? ive been thinking, topwaters wont get all the gllen slimey stuff stuck on my lures, plus id hear it when i get a bite. that way i know when im bit
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-06, 01:40 PM   #5
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Interesting topic.

I think topwaters are discussed less because they are less predictable production wise. Sometimes you can clean house on them, but they are not like jigs or spinnerbaits in which you can feel comfortable with them every time out (or at least for most people).

My opinion is that with topwaters you never know until you try them. I've seen them outproduce other baits many times when I couldn't explain why they were the ticket, they just were. Thats why its good to have one tied on if you can accomodate a few different rods that are prerigged.
Old 06-17-06, 06:52 PM   #6
Marty

Topwaters are alive and well. They're very effective and I use them all the time, maybe more than I should, but I love using them and have a lot of confidence in them.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-06, 07:58 PM   #7
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

it wouldn't be fishing for me if i didn't have a top
water lure tied on and threw it, anytime of day
I remember years ago all the top water classic baits came out
in a rubber weedless imitation of the actual lure (popR, zara spook, etc)
and they were made and designed to go through the gunk of top water snot moss with the single hook buried in the plastic.
Throwing any top water like buzzbait in a weedy pond is going to snag a few veggies, but its all worth it, the bass are close by
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-06, 08:59 PM   #8
m cress
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait
i=are topwaters easier? ive been thinking, topwaters wont get all the gllen slimey stuff stuck on my lures, plus id hear it when i get a bite. that way i know when im bit
To briefly answer your question; no. I don't believe topwaters are "easier" than other baits. To work the presentation of a topwater correctly requires alot of rod tip manipulation combined with stop/start retrieve. There are a hundred different ways to use them ie: cast, sit, three jerks, pause, two jerks, pause etc. Steady "walk the dog type retrieve" and many others depending on what the fish are responding to. As far as the strike goes, you'll definately know when you have been hit. "you can see it" setting the hook on a topwater strike can sometimes be more difficult than you may think.
m cress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-06, 09:04 PM   #9
crankybait

i see... well i think i should start practicing that. if not fishing i can practice my technique at my neighbors pool... he lets me use it for my lure tests lol. i can work on the hooksets... dont really care, as long as i know the bass has bitten, id be so incredibly happy itd feel like 100 christmasses in a row
Old 06-17-06, 10:28 PM   #10
flamez
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL
Interesting topic.

I think topwaters are discussed less because they are less predictable production wise. Sometimes you can clean house on them, but they are not like jigs or spinnerbaits in which you can feel comfortable with them every time out (or at least for most people).

My opinion is that with topwaters you never know until you try them. I've seen them outproduce other baits many times when I couldn't explain why they were the ticket, they just were. Thats why its good to have one tied on if you can accomodate a few different rods that are prerigged.
o im one of those few theres nothing like casting a buzzbait b4 the sun drops and at night they just tear it up
Old 06-18-06, 02:50 AM   #11
islandbass

Topwater fishing, especially poppers, is one of my favorite ways to fish. You are right when you say that there is nothing like the explosion of a fish on a topwater. That sensation is addicting and heart stopping.

With that said, and as much as I love topwater fishing, there will be days where no matter how much fun I have working one, it will be something that the fish will not want.

Topwater rocks!
Old 06-18-06, 06:52 AM   #12
pig n jig

How many of you fish a baby torpedo ? I gotta find a hook to replace the originals on this bait. P N J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	torpedo.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	480  
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-06, 06:54 AM   #13
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL
Interesting topic.

Words of wisdom there bud. Yes the topwater bite is less predictable to an extent. Of course we all know low light or a cloudy day was made for topwaters but even with that being said alot of the times we opt for a faster bait such as a spinnerbait. As far as me topwaters or a form of a topwater is a staple in my arsenal. I ALWAYS have a frog tied on no matter where what or when. There are times though out comes the spook jr. or the ole chugger spook, and speaking of the ole chugger spook if anyone has any of these they wanna part with give me a holler. Dont matter what color. Summer fishing in the wee hours of the morn and the last 30 mins of the day are great topwater times. Alot of people forget that a bass is a cold bloode creture meaning that the warmer it gets the higher there metabolism is therefore those times are great for a spook scooting across the water. I have seen the cloudy day that you could take a chugger or a spook and just annialate them.
Old 06-18-06, 08:48 AM   #14
crankybait

pnj- i have a baby torpedo! its really cool because it makes nice lil splashes. i have it in bass color. its got little scale patterns and a short black line donw the sidefor that reason a friend of mine on another board wants me to replicate some old school propellor lures. im doing 2 heddon 152s, and 2 dogiwiacs. the blanks are done but my airbrush isnt here yet. i did good on the blanks, theyre perfectly shaped and extremely smooth this time. ill show pics when theyre done.
Old 06-19-06, 07:54 AM   #15
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
How many of you fish a baby torpedo ? I gotta find a hook to replace the originals on this bait. P N J
Are you sure that isn't a Tiny Torp? On mine, I replace the factory hook with red trebles in #6.
I'd like to find some #5 size trebles (SOMEBODY makes 'em!) to see if the added weight might still allow the lure to float and operate properly, or at least place a #5 on the rear of the lure.
BTW, "Clear" is my favorite "lack-of-color" for clear-water lakes. I painted the prop red on one, and it seems to do no harm, at least, LOL!

I own a Baby Torp or two, but can't remember the last time I used one.
For a prop bait larger than a Tiny Torp, I prefer a Devil Horse or one of the rare and discontinued PICO Slashers or a (also discontinued, I think,) Heddon Dying Flutter.
The PICO...http://blog.so-net.ne.jp/_images/blo...on/2076430.jpg
The Flutter...http://www.ifish.net/sfdtyflutt.jpg

I always removed the front prop.

FlyRod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-06, 12:46 AM   #16
flamez
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

man i use to have a nice baby torpedo in a bone pattern was the only bait that was catching fish this one night
Old 06-20-06, 10:19 PM   #17
Nitesk8r12
BassFishin.Com Member

I use wahts called a skitter walk, by rapala! Just type them in by google, and you'll know why the bass go crazy over them!
Old 06-20-06, 11:36 PM   #18
bassinbob

This past weekend I had ready to go 9 rods. One with a horny toad, one with a buzzbait, one with a Spro frog, one with a jitterbug, one with a torpedo, one with a ribbit frog. The others with a spinnerbait, one with a senko and one with a Mann's baby 1 minus. That's about 80% or so of my fishing for topwater. I just love that topwater exploision.

Bob

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.