Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-06, 09:38 PM   #1
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default pics of my pond!!!

finally got these pics in. alright guys, check it out:

top one shows the side that i fish on. it has most of the trees. the guy at my bottom is my neighbor i decided to bring a long... unfortunately all he caught was a tree. see the spot thats light brown? its really shallow with grass growing there. the second pic is just the shallw grassy part, but it came out bad. would polorized glasses over the camera lense work better?
the bottom is a view of most of my pond. there is just another section where the dock is. its pretty small. on the bottom one you can see to the other end. the dock is there but you can barely see it. see the overhang? i usually stick my bait right under that.

and here is another view of it.

any tips how would you guys fish this? next time im taking a whole roll full of pics, i ran out of filmspace this time
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-06, 10:17 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Dang, cranky, you have a great looking spot!

I'd tie on a Tiki or a Zoom fluke, cast it from 0 to about 10 feet out from the bank and parallel it to the bank as much as possible.

Is the side with the rail fish the dam? It looks ike one. If so, stand in the corner and cast parallel to the dam. It will also have the deepest water.

Considering the way it looks and the time of the year I'd work a soft plastic jerkbait all the way arund that pond.
Old 06-24-06, 03:51 AM   #3
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Well, me being me..I'd be fishing it with a horny toad, heh.

And I can say dude, if you aren't catching fish in that place..you're doing something horribly wrong! Slow down, work the edges of that grass with a spinnerbait, a tiki stick, a frog....even a fluke.

During the day, find spots where the trees are hanging over, creating shadows a.k.a. sweet spots for bass and work them over real good with a soft plastic of some kind. Try each bait for at least 30-40 minutes before changing. Better yet, stick with one lure the entire day and work that whole pond over from the bank.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-06, 05:43 AM   #4
pig n jig

Doc, I thought you were fishing some mudpuddle in the city?They gave you good advice,I use the shade areas when its sunny in the pond by my home when I don't have time to fish with the boat.Make multiple casts and try different angles.Culprit makes a color called Tomato that works extremely well in the ponds here.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-06, 07:33 AM   #5
crankybait

yeah reb the dam is on the rail side. never bothere fishing near it, i figured bass didnt like moving water. ok, flukes. any way to make sure the snotgrass doesnt get onto them? now im basically going to be going around the pond 2 times next time i go. once with a sizmic toad once witha fluke
Old 06-24-06, 09:56 AM   #6
Christopherkeene9

Just pick the grass off, its a way of fishing.
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-06, 09:59 AM   #7
crankybait

it happens every time man and when the gradd is on the action of the lure is ruined for the remainder of the cast
Old 06-24-06, 10:08 AM   #8
Christopherkeene9

Like said its a way of fishing!!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-06, 10:13 AM   #9
NJBassDevil

Do you know how deep this pond gets? If so, find the shallow parts around the deep section. Big bass allows hide in thick cover by deep water. If there is a lay down, grassy point, rock pile, or any other structure near that deep water, the big bass should be there. You also want to cast a weightless senko or tiki stick into places that look imposible to get a lure into. The bigg'uns like to sit in there too. Good luck! Have fun!
Old 06-24-06, 10:27 AM   #10
crankybait

any way to make the weightless lures even more weedless? even a weightless rig caught snot moss. im going to try dead stiking more, since the bait wont move much im hoping the bass will hit it before the snot moss does
Old 06-24-06, 10:41 AM   #11
JB

cranky, often times current brings in new forage for the bass, I'd go around that pond and look for shade, and also try that current..
You can bring the top of your plastic worm over the eyelet of the hook to make it weedless, and get used to picking off grass or vegetation off your line/lure, its all part of the game.
Actually from you pics I don't see near as much vegetation as we are used to seeing up here, keep in mind that "snot" can be used to you're advantage, if you find a edge where clean water is next to grass on the top , fish it...
Is that a golf course pond? I ask because it looks like the grass is well mowed.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-06, 11:17 AM   #12
crankybait

yeah i sppose. ill get some more pics next time you cant see much of anything here.
no not a golf course pond, its a public park pond. holmdel park
Old 06-24-06, 05:04 PM   #13
Rebbasser

Cranky, throw where the snot moss ain't. What I mean is it doesn't look like it covers the entire surface, so throw into the spots that don't have the moss. When bringing it back in for another cast raise your rod tip and reel fast-your bait ought to ski in over the moss. If you get it to the surface by fast cranking before you hit the moss bed so much the better.

That said, sometimes you just can't avoid moss/weeds. You just have to deal with it.
Old 06-24-06, 05:55 PM   #14
crankybait

ok. kinda hard, when i go around i always hook onto the moss even when i cant see it. i guess more weedless and quicker will be my answer
Old 06-24-06, 05:58 PM   #15
JB

Ya may have to stick with texas rigs plastic worm, that should be weedless, make sure you penetrate that worms body with the hook
and then recede it back into the body, to make it weedless, yet able to
penetrate quickly on the hookset.
Old 06-24-06, 06:19 PM   #16
crankybait

ill be practicing my texas rigs... its hard for me to make them straight. and then it gets caught up. would it be okay to peg a sinker onto it or should i go weightless?

btw jb im waiting to see your next avatar
Old 06-24-06, 07:13 PM   #17
Fishing4Soup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

if you arent catching fish there dude....you may want to go with a worm and bobber. ANYWAYS, i'd use a zoom trick worm and cast it parallel to the side with all the trees and shade, cast it out, let it sink then twitch it while reeling very slowly back to your position....try some original Floating Rapalas and Jointed Minnows...those are the 3 baits that produce for me the most.
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-06, 08:09 PM   #18
KenDammit

to make a texas rig easily weedless, just rig it like normal and then when the hook point is out and laying on the back of the worm or whatever, take the plastic and just barely hook the point back into the bait. It'll slide through anything now and a fish will still be easily hooked.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-06, 08:34 PM   #19
Rebbasser

Cranky-if you use a sinker let alone peg one all it will do is sink into the moss and foul your lure. I've fished ponds like that in the past and the only bait I have been able to use is a weedless soft plastic with no weight.
Old 06-25-06, 10:29 AM   #20
JB

cranky, have ya seen with your own eyes BASS in that pond?
I know guys will tell ya its loaded, but I didnt see much evidence of trails to the pond or worn out bank spots...ya may have to find somewhere thats got a better fish population than a public park...
If ya have seen bass in there, then stick with it, your day will come soon nuff!
Old 06-25-06, 12:51 PM   #21
crankybait

yep ive seen bass in there. in fact, i cuaght 3. those were all the fish ive ever caught. go to the reservoir too. i saw a bedding bass but at the time i had no clue what to do and i checed a crank at it
Old 06-25-06, 12:52 PM   #22
crankybait

oh and people usually fis on the otehr side or dock... i like to go thru the forest
Old 06-25-06, 03:58 PM   #23
m cress
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Agree with JB on the current bringing forage. One of the smallest ponds I fish has a very small creek that feeds it, and I have had good luck throwing right to the mouth of the creek and then pulling it towards deeper water.
m cress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-06, 05:37 PM   #24
crankybait

ok then here is whati think i should do. cast away from the dam and then go down towards the dam. itll go with the flowing water, and go deeper. sound good?
Old 06-25-06, 08:07 PM   #25
Rebbasser

Only one way to find out .

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.