Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-02-05, 09:06 PM   #1

Default Best Big Bass Bait/Retrieve

I Live in Central Florida just outside of the Ocala National Forest and about half an hour from Rodman Reservoir. The ONF is known for hundreds of small lakes and ponds that are extremely underfished. The ONF is also bordered on the North End by Rodman Reservoir, one of the top ten trophy bass lakes in the state and probably country as well. Usually when I go, I'll have one rod with a large shiner and another rod throwing whatever lure I think would work for the conditions. If yall had to pick one or two lures to use to TARGET BIG BASS, which would it be and with what type of retrieve. So far I've caught the most big fish with a buzz bait using a slow medium retrieve occasionally stopping it to twitch it just enough to keep the blades spinning. So lets here what's worked for you.
Old 05-02-05, 10:28 PM   #2
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva
Default Re: Best Big Bass Bait/Retrieve

there is no one bait,,sorry..the conditions will always determine what bait,retrieve ,etc..one must use to hang a biggun' :-/and to figure that out one must put in lots of time on the water.i've been doing this for 20+ years and i still have trouble figuring these bass out.
just keep fishing and paying attention to what the fish are telling you.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 10:31 PM   #3
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Not even Sand Minnows or the famous Whiz- Bang lure is fool proof.P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 10:41 PM   #4
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

One or two to target big bass-

A jig-n-pig and a spinnerbait. But as Tom said, there is no telling what the big ones want.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 11:02 PM   #5
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

once again, my posts was just harmless fun and it gets deleted off ??? :P
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-05, 05:37 PM   #6

thanks for the replies so far. I know a large portion of it is conditions, however, there are some lures that are better producers than others, and other lures that are better big bass producers than others. Just asking what one or two baits you have along with what type of retrieve that you've caught the most big fish on.

Bassfisher, email it to me.
Old 05-03-05, 05:45 PM   #7
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

ahhh, i was just messin around. no need to email it to ya. i think the biggest producer of bass for me would be a tiki dipstik, rigged weightless/weedless in redbug/chartruese tail. and another good way is to peg a bullet weight(size depends on you) about 6 '' above the worm and reel it in then stop. do this all the way to the boat, let the worm hit the bottom before reeeling again. this worm has almost produced the biggest bass of my life, untill she threw the hook :P and has produced many in the range of 7- almost 10lbs. i as well live in florida, central florid to be exact. in winter park if you are familiar with that area. when i get a boat in a few years i hope to fish the ONF. there are many baits out there that will produce big bass. it just has to do with where you put the lure, and if they want your lure. try just about every type of bait out there. eventually you will catch a big bass. or you may not, but atleast you tried ;D
Old 05-03-05, 05:54 PM   #8
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

I know most of us wouldn't dare use live bait, but if you want that trophy bass in fla, I'd do what Roland Martin made his fortune on, and that is to take a shiner of good size, hook it through the lips and use a small ballon for a bobber and let that suckah swim around, and before you know it some monster mega bass is on your line!
Roland had a TV show for years and years and most every season they would show the shiner / bass connection
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-05, 05:54 PM   #9

Well, I'd invite you to go with me sometime, but after loading my fat azz (250 lbs) into the boat along with my gear, my little 9 foot john boat can't handle much more. Let me know what type and size of boat you're getting and I'll be able to make some suggestions on where to fish. Plenty of honey holes that hasn't seen fisherman in years, of course you're gonna need 4wd and still not mind hiking a ways to get to some of them holes. I know most of the forest and its lakes like the back of my hand so if you need a suggestion, let me know, ramp or carry in.
Old 05-03-05, 05:58 PM   #10
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

well, if you are still around here in lets say.......2 years then i give you a holler. im 14 now, when im 16 thats when im gunna get a small jon boat. PM me with your email address so that if you do stray from this place then i can still get a hold of you in 2 years.
Old 05-03-05, 05:59 PM   #11

[quote author=JB link=board=news;num=1115078811;start=0#7 date=05/03/05 at 16:54:51]I know most of us wouldn't dare use live bait, but if you want that trophy bass in fla, I'd do what Roland Martin made his fortune on, and that is to take a shiner of good size, hook it through the lips and use a small ballon for a bobber and let that suckah swim around, and before you know it some monster mega bass is on your line!
Roland had a TV show for years and years Â*and most every season they would show the shiner / bass connection[/quote]

oh yeah, ain't nothing like BIG SHINERS for BIGGER BASS! I usually have one rod with a shiner and another rod working a lure. Last time I went shiner fishing I had 3 shiners OVER 12 inches! 2 of them were stolen by OSPREY! Unfortunately throwing rocks at the birds didn't help to get my shiners back.
Old 05-03-05, 06:01 PM   #12

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1115078811;start=0#9 date=05/03/05 at 16:58:31]well, if you are still around here in lets say.......2 years then i give you a holler. im 14 now, when im 16 thats when im gunna get a small jon boat. PM me with your email address so that if you do stray from this place then i can still get a hold of you in 2 years. [/quote]

I need to register before I can send a pm, but it is rbgfmort@yahoo.com.
Old 05-03-05, 06:03 PM   #13
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

i dont have the patience for live bait :-/ the only time i use live bait is for catfishing. and when im trout or redfishing. and even then im still throwing a lure out. believe it or not, i have caught more trout on a lure then i have on live bait.
Old 05-03-05, 06:14 PM   #14

you must have really good presentation to have caught more trout on artificial than live bait.
Old 05-03-05, 06:21 PM   #15
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

what can i say....im the man ;D ;D it really has to do with where you put the lure, the retrieve and how you present it. i have had trout hit the artificials, but i tend to just pick the rod and reel up and set the hook before reeling in slack :-/ i need to wiork on that.
Old 05-03-05, 06:26 PM   #16
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Getting back to live minnow fishing ,
Theres nothing easier to fool a smallmouth than to put
live bait (minnow) on a jig, no skirt , and bounce of the bottom ...man they will hit that quicker than any plastic out there.
Try it sometime for sh*ts n giggles.. they are a ball to catch! 8)
Old 05-03-05, 06:28 PM   #17

It also HEAVILY depends on the type of trout you are refering to. I can understand if you are refering to sea trout how you could catch more fish, however rainbow trout is EXTREMELY hard to catch on a lure, and EXTREMELY hard to catch on live bait........errr corn niblets.
Old 05-03-05, 06:30 PM   #18

[quote author=JB link=board=news;num=1115078811;start=0#15 date=05/03/05 at 17:26:29]Getting back to live minnow fishing ,
Â*Theres nothing easier to fool a smallmouth than to put
Â* Â*live bait (minnow) on a jig, no skirt , and Â*bounce of the bottom ...man they will hit that quicker than any plastic out there.
Try it sometime for sh*ts n giggles.. they are a ball to catch! 8)[/quote]

I've heard of people using this technique with crappie fishing but never bass fishing. What end of the minnow are you hooking, mouth or tail? I'll have to give this a try sometime.
Old 05-03-05, 06:41 PM   #19
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

I never ever hook them in the back, it kills them , plus the tail is ok but i always use a thin wire 1/8th or 1/16
or 1/4 , depending on the currant, and go through the eye it keeps them alive, plus you can do the same through the lips, they are a tad more easy to get off but generally the eyes have it hands down for me.
We use this application in april up at the feeder streams to lake erie (maumee, freemont , sandusky ) creeks, and then later out about 1/2 mile on erie before they all go deep after their spawning
Old 05-03-05, 10:14 PM   #20
mikee051
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mikee051

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1115078811;start=0#14 date=05/03/05 at 17:21:03]what can i say....im the man ;D ;D it really has to do with where you put the lure, the retrieve and how you present it. i have had trout hit the artificials, but i tend to just pick the rod and reel up and set the hook before reeling in slack :-/ i need to wiork on that. [/quote]

probably more like you hardly ever use live bait. fish will go for live bait most of the time just because its real and it always will be.
mikee051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-05, 10:20 PM   #21
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

no, every time i go for trout i have live bait out on one pole as you would have known if you read my post. and i still catch more on artificials. IME, artificials out fish live bait.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.