Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 01-22-10, 12:54 PM   #1
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser
Default High Stickin'

What is this term actually? I know what it means in hockey. But I saw it on a warranty on a rod about being careful not to do it. Any takers on an explanation...

Last edited by Bubba_Bruiser; 01-22-10 at 01:12 PM.
Bubba_Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 01:15 PM   #2
Jrob78

Quote:
One thing to always remember when fishing with a high-end (or any rod, for that matter) rod is to avoid “high-sticking” When you have a snag or very large fish, resist the temptation to point the rod to the sky and horse it. That is just asking for a broken rod. Always point the rod directly at a snag. Put the stress on the line, not the rod!
I can see where this applies to a hang up but how are you supposed to fight a fish without raising your rod tip?

http://www.dwfonline.com/Articles/an...ishing_rod.htm

Last edited by Jrob78; 01-22-10 at 01:22 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 02:16 PM   #3
WaffleJaw

I would assume alot of people mishandle thier rods when snagged up..(I know I use to and it cost me 2''
They put stress points where they shouldnt and can cause the rod to break.High sticking isnt recommended becuase your not evenly distributing the flex across the rod.

Heres a really good article by Tom Kirkman on rod bending do & donts

http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/rodusage.pdf
Old 01-22-10, 03:19 PM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I can see where this applies to a hang up but how are you supposed to fight a fish without raising your rod tip?
You obviously have to raise your rod tip to fight a fish, or move it to the left, right, etc.

The point is...once your rod butt passes 90 degrees from the rod tip, you are actually decreasing the power applied to the fish, while stressing the rod more. I always laugh when I see some guy who thinks they have to set the hook so hard they nearly pull the fish's spine out. They sometimes have the rod pointing far, far past 90 degrees.

In essence, the fish would have to be 6 feet above the fisherman's head to justify a rod being vertical. If that's the case, either the guy is scuba diving, or he's just hooked a trout out of a waterfall.
Old 01-22-10, 03:27 PM   #5
Jrob78

Quote:
The point is...once your rod butt passes 90 degrees from the rod tip, you are actually decreasing the power applied to the fish, while stressing the rod more. I always laugh when I see some guy who thinks they have to set the hook so hard they nearly pull the fish's spine out. They sometimes have the rod pointing far, far past 90 degrees.
Yeah I guess the article did say "resist the temptation to point the rod tip to the sky," not actually raising it. I would think that between 45 and 60 degrees would be ideal for fighting a fish.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 04:56 PM   #6
bassinbob

nofear-trout out of a waterfall, funny.
Old 01-22-10, 05:35 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

High sticking refers to raising the rod higher than a certain point. When you swing a fish into the boat, you're high sticking, and most people do it when they are snagged.

It isn't good for the rods, and should be avoided if possible. I know Tackle Tour sometimes states that they highstick their tests rods on purpose to test them. But hey, when a company is giving you rods to test, do whatever the heck you want with them.

BB
Old 01-22-10, 05:40 PM   #8
nofearengineer

Yes, I can see someone testing the rod to prove a point, because all of us will be guilty of it at some point in the rod's life. It is nice to know the rod has some additional abuse factored into the design.

As far as swinging fish, man, it just sort of comes off as showboating to me. Like the extra 10 seconds it saves you is worth the risk of breaking your line off, losing the fish and an expensive lure. Personally, when I see a pro (or a wannabe, for that matter) break off while swinging, I love it. They get what they deserve for hurrying.
Old 01-22-10, 06:04 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Most of the time, I swing the fish onto the shore or into the boat. But I've never caught a fish big enough to worry about swinging them, lol.

BB
Old 01-22-10, 06:14 PM   #10
nofearengineer

With the few big bass I've caught, I've been a nervous wreck praying they don't break off. I figure if you're already getting down on your knees to lip it, prayer is coming naturally.
Old 01-22-10, 06:29 PM   #11
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
With the few big bass I've caught, I've been a nervous wreck praying they don't break off. I figure if you're already getting down on your knees to lip it, prayer is coming naturally.
Its amazing how quickly things can go wrong in that last 1.5 ft of landing a fish.
Old 01-22-10, 07:17 PM   #12
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I for one must say I have been guilty of this acting like I am pumping a marlin to pull my little boat to a snag. But I will stop. Thanks for the run down.
Old 01-22-10, 07:48 PM   #13
chopsticktown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to chopsticktown

I usually try and swing my rod to my side at about a 45 or less degree angle when i set the hook. Works for me so far lol. And I use more of a sweeping motion rather than a jerk.
chopsticktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 08:54 PM   #14
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Most of the time, I swing the fish onto the shore or into the boat. But I've never caught a fish big enough to worry about swinging them, lol.

BB

The way I do it is any fish over two pounds is going to get netted, and any fish under two I will swing in the boat, but if I'm in a tourney, every fish gets netted anyways unless it's a dink. I haven't ever had a rod break on me that wasn't caused by some external factor like slamming compartment doors on it or being stepped on. Although my rods worst nemisis is the boat cleat, I stick the rod under it, when I am netting a partners fish, so it doesn't go anywhere, but occasionally I will accidentley pick the rod up too quick and snap it in two.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.