Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 06-17-09, 09:11 PM   #1
MagsH2
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Newbie here. Color selection

Hey guys/gals

I just recently bought a nice cabin across from a lake in Maine for a weekend getaway place. Just last week I bought I nice used 1986 Spectrum Bass boat. So I'm really excited to get back in the fishing game. I used to love fishing years ago and Now I'm getting back into it. I have some basic knowledge and have been cruising the internet and this forum for a few weeks. There are lots of things I'm learning and lots that still confuse me a bit. I've been doing some searches to find some answers. I'm sure I;ll be around here for a while asking lots of questions.
First off is there a basic rule of thumb for color selection of your bait for time of day and water clarity. From what I have been reading, I'm getting that dark water= darker color bait and clear water= light colored bait, and Darker colored bait at night. Is this right? fill me in.
MagsH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 09:25 PM   #2
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

um usually natural colors are the way to go in clearer water, go a little more bright in darker/muddy water, but your best bet at first is just goin with a basic green pumpkin... most pros say this is the one color they would pick if they could only have one color..... its a good natural color and catches fish
Old 06-18-09, 10:20 AM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Clear water = natural colors, green pumpkins, watermelon

muddy water = bright colored hard baits, dark colored soft baits with bright tails (such as power worms)

Hope this helps!
Old 06-18-09, 06:45 PM   #4
MagsH2
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Clear water = natural colors, green pumpkins, watermelon

muddy water = bright colored hard baits, dark colored soft baits with bright tails (such as power worms)

Hope this helps!
Great, yup, a simple answer I was looking for.
MagsH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 07:44 PM   #5
Jim80

color wise the above help fine but a big part of it is going to be finding the fish , for me a junebug colored worm or a blue fleck worm is killer in clear water just find your areas of structure and cover and fish them and your baits completely try not to fall into the cast a couple times get frustrated and switch baits . By the way welcome to the forums man .

jim
Old 06-18-09, 08:37 PM   #6
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Welcome! Yep, jim is right, not all bass react the same, so fish a bait thoroughly before switching. The clearer the water the more "natural you should go" This means stuff that looks like baitfish. Shad colors in hard baits and as above stated watermelon or green pumpkin for plastics, and transition into brighter or more contrasting colors, as well as bigger baits in dark stained or muddy water.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 11:32 PM   #7
Rebbasser

Welcome to the forum!

Agree with bassboss-natural colors like green pumpkin, watermelon and watermelon red for clear water(soft plastics), and shad and crawfish for hard baits.

Add some color for stained water like chartreuse.

Up in your neck of the woods you have a lot of smallmouth bass so keep the chartreuse handy even in clear water-they really like that color.

One other thing-please don't hesitate to ask if you have a question even if you think it is dumb-it isn't. The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.
Old 06-19-09, 06:52 AM   #8
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cakalaki_girl

Woah, I just had deja vu. The screen showed BassinID and Rebbasser and I thought like "Woah, I've done this before" . Im not joking. Real Deja Vu.
Old 06-19-09, 08:36 PM   #9
keithdog

I have to agree with most of the above comments. Natural colors in clear water, and bright colors in off colored water works often. However don't be afraid to try something different. For example, I do very well with black or black/blue soft plastics and jigs in off colored water. In fact, I turn to the black/blue baits in off colored water first before going to bright colors. I have great success with white spinnerbaits regardless of water clarity, however I have recently had very good luck in clear water using a gold bladed spinnerbait with a bluegill pattern skirt. That would harken back again to natural colors in clear water. I prefer black surface baits at night. It is said that the color black at the surface stands out better against the dark sky of night. I don't understand that but it seems to work. Spinnerbaits after dark are a different story. I catch a TON of bass after dark on white spinnerbaits. I don't think it matters color wise after dark with spinnerbaits. I believe the vibration of the blades is the main draw for bass at night. I'm fairly new using swimbaits, but I think I'll stick with whatever color matches the natural forage in the lake regardless of water conditions. I believe bass become accustomed to the color of their natural pray regardless of water clarity. Their lives depend on it.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-09, 01:43 AM   #10
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Haha, good call Cgirl. Great advice Kdog as well.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-09, 03:06 PM   #11
Charles Slone
BassFishin.Com Member

Clear water - Silvers/whites/blues

Part stained - Watermelon/greens/dark blues

Muddy - Black with chartreuse tail/darker colors blacks/browns/dark reds

That's my rule of thumb for soft plastic baits, mostly plastic worms.
Old 07-01-09, 04:06 PM   #12
Cavs1123

anything with green in it works great
Cavs1123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.