Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 05-27-09, 08:01 AM   #1
bass fishin kid SML
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Dock fishing......FROM docks

Hi all, im a13 year old kid with out a boat so i have to stick to only my dock at SML. it is frustrating at times because the lack of fish sometimes get me down. i went there this past weekend and only caught two bass sight fishing. i wish to catch them more in the open areas so i can assure my self that im not half bad at fishing. I use baitcasters, spinning reels, and all the newest lures and techniques but im still struggling. any tips or help when it comes to fishing from docks?
bass fishin kid SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 08:21 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

From docks???

How about you find your self a good shore line!

I'm 15, and with out a boat too. I am forced to fish from shore, And I think that it much better than fishing from a dock. On a dock, you're limited to fishing only one area, and the area could have crummy structure and cover, and not hold a lot of fish. But 200 yards away, there could a great bit of structured and cover that holds lots of bass, in sizes, and numbers!

When I shore fish, I try to move a long the bank at a slow steady pace, and when you're walking, walk softly, and slowly about 10' or more from the water. One the to remember is to NEVER run if you see a fish a long the shore. Fist make casts to from where you are, and than slow approach the fish, trying not to spook him. When you walking, the sound of your foot steps goes from the ground to the water. So the fish can here your foot steps a long ways away if you're walking normally. When the sun is to your back, and casting a shadow in the water, crouch down, make it so that your shadow does not hit the water, or much of it. One mistake I see a lot of people do when I shore fish, is cast straight out as far as they can, and this is not always a bad thing, but 9 out of 10 times, the fish will be hold in an area know as the strike zone. It's normally where the bottom changes color. For example, there may be some lightly colored sand at the bottom of the water from 0 - 8 feet from the bank, but after the water reaches 9 feet of the bank, the bottom changes to a darker color. This area is where you'll get most you hits. Of you cast parallel to this change in bottom color, you'll get most of your hits there!

Lemme know if you need some more help! I'll be glade to give it!

Welcome to the forum btw!
Old 05-27-09, 08:38 AM   #3
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
From docks???

How about you find your self a good shore line!

I'm 15, and with out a boat too. I am forced to fish from shore, And I think that it much better than fishing from a dock. On a dock, you're limited to fishing only one area, and the area could have crummy structure and cover, and not hold a lot of fish. But 200 yards away, there could a great bit of structured and cover that holds lots of bass, in sizes, and numbers!

When I shore fish, I try to move a long the bank at a slow steady pace, and when you're walking, walk softly, and slowly about 10' or more from the water. One the to remember is to NEVER run if you see a fish a long the shore. Fist make casts to from where you are, and than slow approach the fish, trying not to spook him. When you walking, the sound of your foot steps goes from the ground to the water. So the fish can here your foot steps a long ways away if you're walking normally. When the sun is to your back, and casting a shadow in the water, crouch down, make it so that your shadow does not hit the water, or much of it. One mistake I see a lot of people do when I shore fish, is cast straight out as far as they can, and this is not always a bad thing, but 9 out of 10 times, the fish will be hold in an area know as the strike zone. It's normally where the bottom changes color. For example, there may be some lightly colored sand at the bottom of the water from 0 - 8 feet from the bank, but after the water reaches 9 feet of the bank, the bottom changes to a darker color. This area is where you'll get most you hits. Of you cast parallel to this change in bottom color, you'll get most of your hits there!

Lemme know if you need some more help! I'll be glade to give it!

Welcome to the forum btw!
Science brought to you by Bassboss.Very good tips.
Old 05-27-09, 11:01 AM   #4
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassintom View Post
Thanks tom!
Old 05-27-09, 01:41 PM   #5
bamabassman

very good indeed bassboss. good job pal.
Old 05-27-09, 01:48 PM   #6
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

i agree with bassboss on all his stuff.

I fish from shore, and my canoe and jonboat. sunday i tore the transom almost off of my lake boat, so i'm back in my little boats for now.

I promise that big fish can be produced from shore, and by sight fishing. I'm 16 and was in your shoes not too long ago.

theres my 13 year old brother holding the one i caught on the shore.
Old 05-27-09, 01:55 PM   #7
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassintom View Post

Beats L Ron Hubbard any day
Old 05-27-09, 02:14 PM   #8
nofearengineer

Here's a little story to cheer you up. When I was 20 or so, I was visiting with one of my cousins, who had a pond and a tiny rowboat. Now my brothers and I, well, we could be kind of like a wolfpack. Always giving each other a hard time (but pray for the outsider who crossed one of us). My two younger brothers got to the rowboat first, and since they're actually normal-sized humans, they could use it, while I probably would have capsized 5 seconds after shoving off.

Well, while I was envying them paddling around on the other side of the pond where all the cat-tails, and other "good" fishing spots were, I was pretty much stuck on the small dock. My brothers were even talking smack to me.

Well, you should have seen their faces when I caught a 4-1/2 lb'er on a big size Beetle-spin not 5 feet off the dock. To this day, that fish is my personal best. (It ticked em off even more when I released it before they could paddle back to the dock to see it up close ).

While I agree that knowing how to stalk fish around a lake is a good skill...it isn't the only game in town.
Old 05-27-09, 02:47 PM   #9
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
very good indeed bassboss. good job pal.
Thanks bama, and Photog!

photog, you look like your bro!

Oh, and when you come to a new body of water, throw a Carolina rig with a tungsten weight. The tungsten weight are expensive, but are worth it on C-rigs when you get to a new body of water. The tungsten weight is more sensitive and will let you get a good feel of the bottom type. Know that bass tend to like harder bottom, but are fine with mucky bottom when there are lilly pads, and lilly pads grow on mucky bottom. So when you're fishing pads, on a new body of water, no need to throw a C-rig! And if you come along reeds, they grow on sandy bottom. So no need for a C-rig either!

Speaking of Reeds, and lilly pads, where reeds turn go pads, the bottom changes, so fish there! Bass love changes in bottom, and cover!

Last edited by Bassboss; 05-27-09 at 03:03 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 05:29 PM   #10
JB

no fear, I guessed ya bout late twenties at the lake, close?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 05:37 PM   #11
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

haha you mean he looks like me?
Old 05-28-09, 07:09 PM   #12
Jim80

Can't really add that much to what bassboss said but , I would try going to the shore around your dock and casting under. One of the only other things I can add for fishing from shore is the harder the area is to get to less people usually fish it from shore . And look for areas that have branches and other stuff hanging into the water or that you can see stumps or the like sticking out of the water, and cast to and around those most times areas like that will be holding fish . And welcome to the site .

Jim
Old 05-28-09, 07:58 PM   #13
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
no fear, I guessed ya bout late twenties at the lake, close?
Oh my God...if only that were true. I am 41, dude.
Old 05-28-09, 08:00 PM   #14
JB

pretty close to woody and dennys age and of course I havent even made it out my teens yet (Mentally) lol
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 08:05 PM   #15
nofearengineer

Oh yeah...I definitely suffer from arrested emotional development!
Old 05-29-09, 11:15 AM   #16
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06 View Post
haha you mean he looks like me?
Oh ya, duh!
Old 05-29-09, 11:42 AM   #17
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cakalaki_girl

I haven't been using docks. I was thinking about doing that today, but maaaybe not.
Old 06-04-09, 07:54 PM   #18
TRUMAN BASSER
BassFishin.Com Member

try a watermellon or a green pumpkin senko and pitch it in the stalls.....This bait is great around the docks because you can make a long skip cast way back under the docks....also work a sweet beaver on the docks...look for brush and make the most of it...

If you fish a set of docks on a consistent basis I would advise you to load it with brush....you will get more fish attracted to your docks. Put the brush in the corners in the back and in the stalls and some out in front. THat way you will have fish on your docks all times of the year...

For winter fish the rock in between and back behind the docks if you got it...fish usually hang about 3 feet off the bank this time of the year cause it warms the quickest.
TRUMAN BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 11:14 AM   #19
bassboy11
BassFishin.Com Member

i hear yu i'm only 11 you should find a open spot on shore and cast to the dock

hope it helps
bassboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 02:23 PM   #20
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The only advise that I could really add to this is to learn how to skip plastics. This is an awesome trick for fishing docks. Use a sidearm cast, preferably with spinning gear to start, and try to get way under that dock. Use a weightless senko or similar bait first time out and fish it slow. This should pick up some fish for you. Also Truman is right, but check local regs before putting structure into a lake. The more places that you can add structure the more consistently producing places you will have.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 04:14 PM   #21
Cavs1123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboy11 View Post
i hear yu i'm only 11 you should find a open spot on shore and cast to the dock

hope it helps
im only 12 and all 99 bass of mine this year have come from shore.

great job bassboss
Cavs1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 10:41 AM   #22
ihnclb22
BassFishin.Com Member

im the same as you.... really hope this helps....
http://bassfishin.com/bassfishingfor...=shore+fishing
Old 07-05-09, 01:01 PM   #23
aikenyounggun

um here is a tip kind of like bassboss said...... take a carolina rig with a big weight (dont even need to be tungsten) and drag it around where you are fishin to find rock,grass, and other cover.... and the transition zones

i was doin this off my uncles dock (when we werent out in his boat) and i found a loan patch of rock and 3 fish came off that in 2 days and that was only like 35 minutes of fishin....... we would basically fish all day, but whenever we did go back to the house, i just cant stand not fishin, so i just kept fishin, haha

but, yeah im a bank beater a lot and i catch a lot of fish off the bank
Old 07-09-09, 02:59 PM   #24
WaffleJaw

great advice so far........a little trick i use to do at lake whitney to catch some fish is i would chum it with some wet dog food.....i did this every morning for three days in a row off the same little float dock (it was all i had).....now the first two days ....i didnt get much action.....the third day,...i caught 13 stripers 1 LM and 2 craps!!....between the hours of 7am to 9am
I just now found a new spot by my house that im about to start chumming!!
good luck,lots of good advice on this page for shore fishing!!

W
Old 07-12-09, 08:13 AM   #25
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Talking

When fishing FROM a dock, be sure to repeatedly cast underneath any bassboat that happens by. It drives 'em nuts.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.