Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 06-20-09, 07:44 AM   #1
vabeachbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default A few questions for a new setup.

I plan on getting my first big boy setup and leaving behind a ultralight deal I used for many years.

I know little of rods and even less of reels.
Let me say first that practically all my fishing is from shore with soft plastics. I like to fish the banks around bushes and trees and the occasional sunken shopping cart.

In looking and doing some research, I had my eye first on a Diawa TD-pro. But reading reviews and around sites they mentioned saving a few bucks and going with the exceler series. I've never used a Diawa. Any complaints on their products? I was planning on pairing this up with a 7' rod (or maybe a little shorter) and am not sure if I should go with a 2500 or 3000.

In reading up on rods and not wanting to lose the sensitivity I origionally planned on a fast tip. But reading around, some sites say going with a moderate tip for fishing soft baits. So now I'm left with that dilemma. To add to it I planned on going with a medium rod. My dad recomends medium heavy. Some places I fish are really tight without alot of swinging room.

I was planning on buying the reel online, and my dad made the excellent suggestion of actually handling a rod before buying, even if I still plan on buying a rod online as well. Blinded by wanting to save $$$ by going with an online deal it was common sense that hadn't occured to me until he said it. Next week, I'm heading to BPS to check out a rod.
vabeachbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-09, 09:23 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I agree with your dad about wanting to see the rod and reel in person.

Because of the tight quarters you fish sometimes, I'd go with a 6'6" rod. I never use anything less than that, except my topwater rod. I use two different rods for plastics, one is a 6'6" MH and the other is 7' M. But for a spinning rod, I think you'd be find going with a 6'6" M for almost all your applications. But, if you fish lots of weeds and stuff, then you probably should get the a MH.

As for a reel, it depends on what kind of line you'll be putting on it. If you're going to stick with 20-30lb braid for a mainline, then you'll be find with a 2000-2500 size reel. If you're going to use mono or especially fluorocarbon, in 10-12lb test, you'll definately want the 3000. If you're gonna use either of those in under 10lb, you should be fine with the 2500.. I wouldn't go over 12lb test unless it was braid, and then, I wouldn't go over 30lb.

Daiwa makes great reels, but so do most companies now days. I'm going to look at spinning reels today too (in the 100-130 price range) and I'm including Daiwa, Abu Garcia, Pflueger, and Shimano reels in what I'm gonna look at. If you're looking to spend about 100 bucks on a reel,, look at the Daiwa Exceler or maybe even the Tierra (130). I've also heard some not so good things about the Daiwa TD Pro reels. I'm beginning to wonder if they cut down on quality for those reels since they're BPS exclusives. Anyways, in other brands, Shimano Symetre, Pflueger President or President XT (I think it's XT), Abu Garcia Cardinal 500 or 700 series.

As for a rod, you've got a lot more choices here. BPS rods you can get on sale for some good prices, but I'm not a big fan of BPS rods. I think they're a bit heavier than they need to be and not balanced very well. I'm going to assume you want to spend the same on a rod (about 100 bucks). I'd highly recommend Shimano rods: Clarus or Compre. Falcon's Original series. The new St. Croix Mojo Bass rods. Fenwick HMG ( I think the HMG is in that price range.

OH, and check out www.Tackletour.com and try to find some reviews on the rods and reels you're looking at, but you will have to pick through lots of high end rod and reel reviews.

BB
Old 06-20-09, 03:03 PM   #3
Bassboss

I've got a buddy that fishes from shore too! (he's in his 60's ) he uses soft plastic baits a lot too! He's got a Shimano Sahara 2000 reel (I think that's the size, it could be a 25 though) and loves it! He can cast far with 1/32oz beavers (caught a 7lber on one too) he uses a 6' and 6'6" shimano clarus, MH fast tip rod. He really like the set up! He uses 10-20lb braid on it.
Old 06-21-09, 06:50 AM   #4
vabeachbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the tips guys. Between your suggestions and my dad's I think the rod, regardless of type, will be a 6'6" MH. I think I'll go for a fast tip. I think even if its soft it cant be any worse than the tip on my ultralight.

My dad said he tried a few Diawa reels over time and had some problems with more than one. He's a shimano man. He tried to give me an old shimano 2000, I'm not sure of the model, but I wanted him to keep it and get my own. He abandoned freshwater years ago after he retired and went saltwater. This year I've been twisting his arm and so far I've gotten him out in the mornings and we've been spot shotting lakes around the house. A few years ago he gave me his freshwater tackle box. It's an old pal 2500. Ever heard of it? This thing is ancient - I love it. I tried to find pics online but havent had any luck.
Old 06-21-09, 07:53 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Good choice, on the rod length and power. I think the fast action rod will be perfect, it's much better for fishing plastics than a Moderate power in my opinion.

Check out my post on my trip to BPS and the reels I looked at.

BB
Old 06-21-09, 08:02 AM   #6
vabeachbass
BassFishin.Com Member

will do - off topic the old man is currently restoring a 69 camaro ss in his free time. btw.
Old 06-21-09, 10:33 PM   #7
BigBassin144

As long as it's a good topic like that, it's never off.

It's a lot work, but also a lot of fun and definately worth it. My dad and I did a complete ground up to ours (in my avatar). it's a 69 RS convertible. 350, 400 hp (well, maybe closer to 375...) Great cars, I love the first generation Camaros, especially the 69's.

BB
Old 07-01-09, 04:04 PM   #8
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

the bass pro shops pro qualifier baitcast reel on a berkley bionix rod. thats what i have and it works great
Cavs1123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.