Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 07-01-09, 04:24 AM   #1
catch2288
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Yooper Needs Bass Tips

Howdy All,

It's been approximately 30 years since I last fished. I recently got the itch to start fishing again and purchased a 12 foot jon boat with a trolling motor. I live in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan and there are 222 lakes in the county that I live in. I launched the boat for the first time last week at a relatively small lake and everything went great. It was a sunny hot humid day (90 degrees) which is unusual for the U.P. where the average summer temp is more like 70 degrees. Anyway, the lake has approximately 30 feet of thick lilly pads that surround the entire shoreline of the lake. There were smallmouths and largemouths jumping out of the water along the edges of the lilly pads like mad. My daughter and I were on the lake for approximately 3 hours during the late evening hours. We were casting jointed rapalas (J7) along the edges of the lilly pads and caught a total of 15 bass. It was an absolute blast. My only beef would be that all the bass were small in the 10-12 inch range. The little fishing experience I had as a youngster was primarily walleye fishing which is completely different than bass fishing. Needless to say the action was great enough to where I'm hooked on bass fishing now. The only cover on this particular lake are the lilly pads. There are no stumps or logs in the water. My question is what types of lures/baits and methods should I be using to entice some of the bigger bass that I'm certain are in the lake? Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by catch2288; 07-01-09 at 04:33 AM.
catch2288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 06:48 AM   #2
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome to the site of vast knowledge of bass fishing But really if it were me I'd trow a frog on top of the lily pads. The big bass lay under those pads. In just a little while more people will come on here with more suggestions.
Old 07-01-09, 08:42 AM   #3
bonsaibp
BassFishin.Com Member

Frogs are probably # 1 you could also use a heavy 1-1 1/2 oz weight and a plastic bait and punch right through the pads and get a bait where the fish don't often see one
bonsaibp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 08:51 AM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thick pads eh? Like this kinda thick:

1:

or this kinda thick?

(Never mind the text)

If it's the kinda think in picture number one, that I would throw a frog (such as a ribbit, rage tail toad, horny toad, manns frog, scum frog, or a spro frog) or a weight less 5" paddle tail worm (like a zoom speed worm) right along the top, making it so the tail kicks up water.

But if it's the thick like is picture number two, than I would get about 10 - 15 feet from the edge of the pads and pitch a worm (like a Culprit, or zoom g tail with a 3/16 - 3/8 oz bullet weight pegged to the worm. on the out side edge. Keep the troll motor on a low speed and keep pitching right along the edge!

Are you using spinning or casting tackle? If you're using spinning tackle, than I would try yo switch to casting. Get your self an Abu Garcia Pro Max casting reel in LEFT HAND! And get a Shimano Clarus Casting Rod it's a good starter set up! Up some 15-17lb sufix mono on there.. and if money is not an problem than put 30lb sufix braid, or power pro braid on it. Braid is super thin, strong, and sensitive. It also has no stretch, so it's good to use when fishing pads like you are! It will also cut through the pads when a bass wraps you up! Make sure you use a polamar knot to with it too!

Good luck! And welcome to the forum!

Last edited by Bassboss; 07-01-09 at 09:13 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 02:13 PM   #5
Wags
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Wags Send a message via Yahoo to Wags

Bassboss....it would take me 3 weeks to figure out how to put all those "click on links" on the post. That being said, I can't tell you how much of a help it is to be able to click on one of the items or techniques mentioned in your post and be able to better understand exactly what you are describing. WELL DONE and much appreciated!!!!!

Last edited by Wags; 07-01-09 at 02:26 PM.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 03:09 PM   #6
catch2288
BassFishin.Com Member

Aye caramba Bass Boss. Picture #2 looks more like a tobacco plantation than lilly pads. Picture #1 represents the lilly pads I was referring to and it sounds like frogs are the popular consensus. I'm heading to the local tackle shop as soon as I send this to pick up some frogs and I'll pick up a package or two of worms. It will be a few days before I'm back on the water, but will report back afterwards to let you know how it went. Thanks for all the responses. This is a great forum and I look forward to learning from all you bassmasters. Thank you!!!!!!
Old 07-01-09, 03:49 PM   #7
Cavs1123

a spinnerbait in a shiner or bluegill color works good. give it little twitches or let it fall and then pull hard back up and repeat. another thing that works great is a weightless stockbait suck as a Yum Dinger in any color thats green. Teaxas rig it without the weight and let it fall. Then twitch it back up and repeat. this works great for me. a frog such as a spro poppin frog gets the big ones too!
Cavs1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-09, 03:58 PM   #8
Bassboss

Thanks fellers! I kinda get annoyed what people tell about something I've never heard of without posting a link... so I though I do it for you!

Keep catching catch2!
Old 07-05-09, 01:09 PM   #9
aikenyounggun

um yeah if they aint comin up top, i would just flip or throw to the edge or into the wholes with basically any soft plastic you want...... texas rig
Old 07-05-09, 03:24 PM   #10
bassFishingWNY
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My favorite top water.

I tried frogs, all brands, all colors. I pick up a few bass. I tried plastic worms, beavers, soft bait, hard bait, spinner bait, buzz bait, same, pick up a few bass.
My favorite is the “moss mouse“. see picture below. It’s weedless, I get hit, after hit, and some big bass with them.
Color, black, then gray. White is good, not much luck with brown, and off colors.
I just got my new camera, and will show you the slop I fish in, also I bought the “hat cam”, don’t have it yet.
Also, I use “high seas, black widow” line, 25#. No memory, and thin, great casting, no stretch, color fish can’t see, and the guts to pull the big fish out of weeds.
I may not be working the frogs right? I see they bring them back (100 miles a hour) Ha, HA. I work them slow, like I do the moss mouse. Twitch them, and let it sit, twitch, let it sit till I have it back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black_lg.jpg moss mouse.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	3831  
Old 07-06-09, 01:45 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

When it comes to hollow body frogs, you can't beat Spro Bronze eye frogs. As for soft plastic ones, Rage Tail Toads or Horny Toads. I would also try a spinnerbait or pitching into the weeds. I pitch with 3/8-3/4 weight (I like the Tru Tungsten flippin' weights) and the Rage Tail Craw and Chigger Craw are a couple of my favorites.

BB
Old 07-19-09, 03:03 AM   #12
catch2288
BassFishin.Com Member

Hello again all...........

I've only been out twice since my original post. The first time out I tried plastic worms (texas rigged and wacky rigged) as well as topwater frogs with no luck. I'm sure most of the problem was my presentation and technique which I will continue to work on. I did get out the other day and went back to casting Rapalas. I caught a 19" 3 1/4 pound largemouth on a Rapala DT6. I know it doesn't "measure up" with some of the monsters I've seen on this site, but it was the biggest bass of my short bass fishing career and I'm pumped. Hoping to get back out in the next few days. I just went to attach the picture and realized I don't have the picture on my laptop. I'll get it posted tomorrow.
Old 07-19-09, 03:54 AM   #13
catch2288
BassFishin.Com Member

Here it is.............
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.25 pounder.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	514.4 KB
ID:	3895  
Old 07-19-09, 05:19 PM   #14
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
When it comes to hollow body frogs, you can't beat Spro Bronze eye frogs. As for soft plastic ones, Rage Tail Toads or Horny Toads. I would also try a spinnerbait or pitching into the weeds. I pitch with 3/8-3/4 weight (I like the Tru Tungsten flippin' weights) and the Rage Tail Craw and Chigger Craw are a couple of my favorites.

BB
I'm actually starting to prefer Bobby's Perfect Frog. Cast further, pick up less water and either they make for better hook sets, or I'm gettin better lol

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.