Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 11-08-11, 04:03 PM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Buckeye 2 part jig

I ran across an ad for this new jig by Buckeye in the latest Bassmaster magazine or Basstimes I can't remember which. Anyways my first thought when I seen it was that it was a cure to a problem that doesn't exist. Then as I thought more about it I will concede that I have lost a few jig fish over the years that were good fish but I still don't consider losing fish on a jig to be a very common problem because generally once they are stuck they don't come off in my experience. But even if someone was having problems with losing fish on a jig I can't see how this jig would do anything but make the problem worse. The claims to the jig is that once you get a fish on the bigger football shaped head will seperate itself from the smaller head that you actually tie to and slide up the line preventing the fish from getting leverage to throw the hook. Is it just me or does it seem like the heavier weight sliding up the line would actually create more leverage for the fish to throw the hook? I mean with every headshake you would have a heavy piece of lead swinging back and forth which would help pull against the hook, am I right? I remember hearing people not long ago talk about this being one of the reasons to peg the weight on a Texas rig, so the weight wouldn't slide up the line and give the fish leverage to throw the hook. Like a jig, I have never had much of an issue with lost fish on a Texas rig but I do peg my weight most of the time when I flip and pitch, but I do it because I get a better presentation that way and I never have my weight slide over a limb or something while my bait stays on the other side of the limb. Anyways I was curious what everyone else thinks about Buckeyes new jig.

http://www.buckeyelures.com/2-Part_Jig.shtml
Old 11-08-11, 04:42 PM   #2
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Kory, I had the same thought as you when I saw that jig in Bassmaster this month. I am a big jig fisherman, especially football jigs. They are one of my favorite baits to throw for largemouth. I have the same thinking that you did about the big weight sliding up the line and creating leverage on the hook. Another thing that got me was the price of them.... $5.99 for one jig?!? I can get three of my normal football jigs for that price.

Ryan
Old 11-08-11, 04:49 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
Kory, I had the same thought as you when I saw that jig in Bassmaster this month. I am a big jig fisherman, especially football jigs. They are one of my favorite baits to throw for largemouth. I have the same thinking that you did about the big weight sliding up the line and creating leverage on the hook. Another thing that got me was the price of them.... $5.99 for one jig?!? I can get three of my normal football jigs for that price.

Ryan
I agree that $6.00 for a jig is just insane. The only thing that I can see with this jig that I kinda like is the fact that each jig comes with 2 heads and each one being a different size. You get either a 1/2oz and 3/4oz head or a 3/4oz and a 1oz head. So in a sense you are cutting down on the number of jigs you need to carry with you, except if you break it off you still lost a $6.00 jig.
Old 11-08-11, 05:10 PM   #4
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I think it's the opposite guys. I have always heard that the theory is a heavy object like a jig can shake loose when the bass shakes. The weight of the head gives it momentum or leverage to shake it loose. A hook with nothing attatched is the hardest thing for a bass to shake, because there is no weight to it. Thats why the texas rig works so good. The weight slides out of the way. Unless you have to peg it, which i always heard you only do for fishing in brushy cover to keep the weight from sliding down into the cover with the bait and hook staying on other side of branch's etc.
I think this bait might suffer from the same problem as an unpeged T rig though, if it falls away while fishing cover, then it's an exposed hook without it's brush guard.

Personally, I don't lose very many jig fish do to letting them shake off. If I do lose a jig fish, it was due to not getting the hook stuck in a good spot to start with. If a jig or a hook is in a bad spot and it tears a hole, then I doubt that it matters if the weight is sliding or peged, it's just luck then.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 05:30 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
I think it's the opposite guys. I have always heard that the theory is a heavy object like a jig can shake loose when the bass shakes. The weight of the head gives it momentum or leverage to shake it loose. A hook with nothing attatched is the hardest thing for a bass to shake, because there is no weight to it. Thats why the texas rig works so good. The weight slides out of the way. Unless you have to peg it, which i always heard you only do for fishing in brushy cover to keep the weight from sliding down into the cover with the bait and hook staying on other side of branch's etc.
I think this bait might suffer from the same problem as an unpeged T rig though, if it falls away while fishing cover, then it's an exposed hook without it's brush guard.

Personally, I don't lose very many jig fish do to letting them shake off. If I do lose a jig fish, it was due to not getting the hook stuck in a good spot to start with. If a jig or a hook is in a bad spot and it tears a hole, then I doubt that it matters if the weight is sliding or peged, it's just luck then.
I see what you are saying Kevin but I just don't see how a 3/4oz piece of lead a foot or two up the line swinging back and forth wouldn't get the fish more leverage to throw the hook than if the same 3/4oz piece of lead was attached to the hook where it wouldn't be swinging back and forth.
Old 11-08-11, 06:11 PM   #6
joedog

Now maybe I'm confused. That jig has two heads but one is in side the other right? When the bass strikes the larger football head slides up but the smaller jig head is still in it's mouth, right?
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 07:03 PM   #7
keithdog

I think Kevin is on the right track with his comments, but I also agree with Kory in that since we don't loose many bass when hooked with a jig, why bother to pay so much extra for something we really probably don't need in the first place.
Old 11-08-11, 08:35 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Now maybe I'm confused. That jig has two heads but one is in side the other right? When the bass strikes the larger football head slides up but the smaller jig head is still in it's mouth, right?
Yes you are correct.
Old 11-10-11, 02:01 PM   #9
3dkicker

I like the idea. Just wonder if they add anything inside of the weight to prevent cutting or fraying the line. I've had issues with heavy tungsten doing that.
Old 11-10-11, 03:52 PM   #10
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
I like the idea. Just wonder if they add anything inside of the weight to prevent cutting or fraying the line. I've had issues with heavy tungsten doing that.
I got to look at this in the bassmaster mag today. It seems that this might be a good idea for the big football heads in the 1/2 oz and bigger sizes. The add says it works best with the big sizes in deep water where you make long casts. As for the leverage, try this to test the theory. Hold the hook of a 3/4 oz jig in your fingers and shake your hand, you will see that the weight would make it easy to toss and hard to hold between 2 fingers. Now, hold just a hook with a sliding sinker on your line a foot or two away. You will easily be able to hold the hook and just shaking your hand back and forth will not do anything to the sliding sinker. Thats why bass can toss a heavy jig out of there mouth when they shake thier head, the weight trys to keep going and it tears the hook loose.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.