Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 05-08-08, 11:58 AM   #1
fishinrookie
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 1972 evenrude 25 h.p elec. start problems

its got a bad hicup or backfire i tryed to adjust the carb that dint help its getting good spark .it runs good for about 5 sec.then it gets that hicup not to sure what to do next. should i rebuild the carb. or just clean it out
i pulled the top spark plug wire off then started it and did the same on the bottom and it ran the same both times
hope some one can help me im itching to take it out on the water
fishinrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 04:09 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Remember the golden rule of outboards first,

To run you need spark, compression and fuel.

Now did I read that right? did you say you tried disconnecting the plug wire from the top, ran it, then put that one back on and disconnected the bottom and it ran exactly the same both times? Huh. Cause both times you would be running obviously on 1 cylinder. Wouldn't even think you could start it like that.

How does it respond to throttle? Does it hiccup when you give it gas or just let it idle? Sure the timing is correct? Inspect the fuel hoses because if they are original they should prolly be dry rotted. Any leak of air would make it run lean. Does it have an adjustable slow speed needle on the carb?
Old 05-08-08, 07:33 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

she is suckin air check you hose, the bulb,tank and moter connections..

zooker
Old 05-08-08, 10:26 PM   #4
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That motor hiccups or sneezes.........you got one of 2 things that need attention quickly before she really gives ya problems. One either the low speed jets are clogged and only way to remedy is a good carb rebuild after soaking the carb in a cleaning vat overnight. The other and hope its not that is the reed valves are shot. If the carb rebuild doesnt do the trick gonna have to pull the front half off and install new reed valves. Not hard to do but time consuming. If ya need more info give a holler.
Old 05-09-08, 02:10 AM   #5
fishinrookie
BassFishin.Com Member

she will start right up and run great for about 5 sec. then the hicup starts i adjusted the slow speed jet but that dint help. when i get the r.p.m up it still hicups. its getting good spark and compesion and gas. after running it the plugs come out wet and black with carbon .i put 3 oz. of oil per gallon of gas a 50/1 mixture
would it hicup if its sucking air?
thanks for any info
Old 05-11-08, 04:15 AM   #6
fishinrookie
BassFishin.Com Member

i got the problem fixed i took off the carb and tor it down and cleaned it out now she runs pretty smooth she still smokes alot thinkin i got to much oil in the gas. but all in all i think im ready for my 2nd trip on the boat hope it dont turn out like the first one getting towed in by the sheriff
thanks for all the info you guys gave me

I WONT BE A ROOKIE FOR LONG IM GETTING IT
Old 05-11-08, 08:22 AM   #7
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

No problem rookie. I wanna sugest that you give that motor a good SEAFOAM treament. Do a search on the site and you will find LOTS of posts on the subject. Most likely will clear that motor up at least some from smoking. The correct oil mixture is a Pint to a 6gallon tank of gas.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.