Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-12, 09:27 AM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Not much to brag about this trip.

But a weekend away fishing is still a weekend away on the water.........
Which is about what this weekend amounted to. Few fish but spending 2 1/2 days on the Potomac in my kayak was still a lot of fun. YES, I would have liked catching MORE fish, but the last month has been difficult fishing for most anglers casting lures there. The salt line is almost to the I-95 bridge on the south side of DC, so the largemouth are much lest active. Even the two tournaments held there this past weekend produced only a couple full bags, and weights below 15 pounds - that's poor by Potomac standards. Anyway had a ball, we were limited to the water we could access with the kayaks, but the main river is horrible fishing anyway. Friday was our "best" day, we caught 6 fish combined. Saturday was very windy and much cooler and we both got skunked. Sunday, skunk #2 for me but Doc hooked a big snakehead (lost at boat) and 1 bass.

All but one of my fish came off points at the edge of the lilly pads, like the one on the right/center of this picture. Water was only around a foot deep at the edge of the pads but dropped off pretty quickly to the channel which was 3' - 4'. My homemade chatterbaits accounted for all but one of my small number caught.

I hate when my computer goes into and auto-update, just screws up my whole plan. Ok I'm back and am now going to finish.

Friday was beautiful, warm & calm. The area looks very remote, reminds me of southern waters, but we are within miles of urban areas. Washington DC is only about 15 miles upriver. This is in the back of Mattawoman Cr. which was where we spend this trip.

Ok, a fish pic I know that's what you want to see. Friday my snakehead, these fish are beautifully marked. This one ate one of my homemade chatterbaits and when they clamp their mouth shut it's difficult to get it to open again - unless you get a finger close to it.

Yeah, lousy pic for seeing the color pattern, Doc is half blind, remember. This one shows the color and pattern better. The one Doc had on Sunday was easily twice this size.

Doc will say it was my camera, not his pic taking skill and as this one was from his cell phone - he may be right.

If you like birds - there are plenty around the Potomac. I say a bald eagle, blue herons and egrets abound. That's an egret at the shore line, far away though so it's not a great shot of the bird. Ducks & geese are all over the place now & I saw a pair of wood ducks but spooked them trying to get close for a "good" pic.

I include this bass from Friday to show the coloration which is a golden shade. Reminds me of the Florida bass that come from the tanin stained water there. I'm told it's from the salt and spending much of their time in the pads.

That's all folks. Not much in the fish caught dept. but fun all the less.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 10-01-12 at 10:23 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-12, 11:23 AM   #2
WatterBoy

Thanks for the report and pics, Bruce. All that matters is that you guys had a good time and enjoyed yourselves!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-12, 07:05 PM   #3
nobass

nice report and glad to herar you had a great trip even thou fishing wasn't outstanding
Old 10-01-12, 10:11 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It sounds like you had a great weekend on the Patomic. The fishing may have been slow, but you had fun anyway, and thats what it's all about. I hope to fish that body of water some day. The photos just cry out for some casting! Nice looking snakehead though. Have you ever tried eatting them?
Old 10-01-12, 11:53 PM   #5
bassboogieman

Haven't tried them yet. Seems I catch one the first day and I don't want to keep it on ice several days, hoping rather to catch one the last day and get it home while still fresh. Thought that was going to happen Sunday morning when Doc hooked into a good sized one, but lost it under the boat before I could get to him to help land it. I have heard they are pretty good eating from others that have tried them, including Capt. Mike.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-12, 06:45 AM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I have heard they are pretty good eating from others that have tried them, including Capt. Mike.
I wouldn't use Capt. Mike as a judge of whats good to eat. No offenece, but remember...Let Mikey try it. Mikey will try anything.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.