Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 07-10-09, 06:32 PM   #126
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

cass, well they must be more open minded in CA, cause around here, out from town and in the country, I know many people who hate him just cause he's black. I don't know, I guess there's quite a few racist people around here. A lot of the old farmers are racist and they pass it on to their kids and grandkids, so it never really dies out.

BB
Old 07-10-09, 06:41 PM   #127
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
cass, well they must be more open minded in CA, cause around here, out from town and in the country, I know many people who hate him just cause he's black. I don't know, I guess there's quite a few racist people around here. A lot of the old farmers are racist and they pass it on to their kids and grandkids, so it never really dies out.

BB
That's true and a good point.

However, if they dislike the man because he's black, does that disqualify their dislike of his policies? Just because someone is a racist moron doesn't mean the rest of their positions are automatically flawed. I'd say the chance is greater, but not always.

And to bring this full circle to the original post...just because someone doesn't like Sarah Palin doesn't mean they're a raving Communist either. There are plenty of reasons to dislike Sarah Palin, on a political level. However, when you start disliking her on a personal level, you sound just as dumb as Billy Bob Black-Hater!
Old 07-10-09, 07:09 PM   #128
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

BB,

I am not denying that racism can be one of the reasons people dislike him. I was simply making a statement based on this quote.

[QUOTE=bassFishingWNY;257183]

Most here are from the south, brain washed, with religion! Hate blacks, that’s why they hate Obama!

QUOTE]
I am confident in saying that Obama's race cost him some votes but got him plenty just the same. I do not believe that race is the primary reason individuals on this board are not for him.

NoFear,

I will say that racism is enough for me to dismiss an individual’s political opinion. Meaning that if their race is the primary gripe about who is in office, then they have already set the priorities on which a candidate is judged. By their own admission, policies are not as important and therefore, their opinion of those policies lacks weight in my book.
Old 07-10-09, 07:42 PM   #129
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
You've proven my case, friend.

Wrong! You've yet to, point-by-point, successfully rebut anything.
If I use strong language it's because I am not "PC" and I wear that distinction with pride. The very term reminds me much of the vision of what was then the future as envisioned by long-dead writers such as George Orwell and Ayn Rand.
Make no mistake...I hate or disrespect NO person for the color of his skin. I hate no person for his or her national origins. I hate no man or woman for their religion, so long as they do not hold the belief that their's is the ONLY religion that will be tolerated and that those who do not adhere thereto must be converted or die, The "Religion Of Peace" (See: Fundamentalist Islam) being somewhat suspect in that regard. I do, however, reserve the right to detest a person for his actions.
If I'm a bit hardcore for some people's delicate sensitivities, then so be it. After all, if the bitter invective spewed by prominent Libs and the three rabid creeps on MSNBC is deemed acceptable may I not then follow suit?

Lancer6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09, 08:08 PM   #130
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post

NoFear,

I will say that racism is enough for me to dismiss an individual’s political opinion. Meaning that if their race is the primary gripe about who is in office, then they have already set the priorities on which a candidate is judged. By their own admission, policies are not as important and therefore, their opinion of those policies lacks weight in my book.
Cassidy, I did say the chance of me dismissing them was greater, but not absolute. I would just take their opinion with a grain of salt.

By your standard, many of the founding fathers belief in freedom would be dismissed.

Winston Churchill would be written off as an Anti-Indian bigot.

These men were simply products of their times. We're not going to get from Cro-Magnon to the Ubermensch in one lifetime. I would hate for someone to totally dismiss my ideas in one arena because they didn't like my stance in another.
Old 07-10-09, 09:29 PM   #131
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer6 View Post
Wrong! You've yet to, point-by-point, successfully rebut anything.
If I use strong language it's because I am not "PC" and I wear that distinction with pride. The very term reminds me much of the vision of what was then the future as envisioned by long-dead writers such as George Orwell and Ayn Rand.
Make no mistake...I hate or disrespect NO person for the color of his skin. I hate no person for his or her national origins. I hate no man or woman for their religion, so long as they do not hold the belief that their's is the ONLY religion that will be tolerated and that those who do not adhere thereto must be converted or die, The "Religion Of Peace" (See: Fundamentalist Islam) being somewhat suspect in that regard. I do, however, reserve the right to detest a person for his actions.
If I'm a bit hardcore for some people's delicate sensitivities, then so be it. After all, if the bitter invective spewed by prominent Libs and the three rabid creeps on MSNBC is deemed acceptable may I not then follow suit?

Lancer6
Its funny you mention Ayn Rand and yet made the argument that we must do whatever we can to prevent Obama from being elected in 3 1/2 years.

If you have read Atlas Shrugged, you will know the entire premise concerns withdrawing one's sanction from government goings on in order to let them destroy themselves.

The truth is Obama was enabled by the proliferation of false conservative idols such as GW Bush, Colin Powell, and their mouthpiece, Fox News. Fox News since it came around has done more to destroy conservatism as an intellectual idea than any other thing because it crowds out any real conservative voices in favor of what is mainstream, electable, popular and reactionary.

I keep going back to 2000. How we would have been so much better losing the White House that year. GW Bush was a fraud and most knew it, but we were so tired of the Clintons that we cast lots with the annointed son in a attempt to do anything to win.

Had Gore won, he would have been a 1 termer and we could have then come back with a much stronger candidate in 04. We would not have bastardized our vision of conservatism in favor of the electable Bush.

We have to take care of our own house before we start to change the country. We have tried to force too many hollow candidates such as GW Bush, Sarah Palin or God Help us Mitt Romney on the American public, and they view us with extreme distrust as a result.

Last edited by WTL; 07-10-09 at 09:38 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09, 11:48 PM   #132
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Cassidy, I did say the chance of me dismissing them was greater, but not absolute. I would just take their opinion with a grain of salt.

By your standard, many of the founding fathers belief in freedom would be dismissed.

Winston Churchill would be written off as an Anti-Indian bigot.

These men were simply products of their times. We're not going to get from Cro-Magnon to the Ubermensch in one lifetime. I would hate for someone to totally dismiss my ideas in one arena because they didn't like my stance in another.

Nofear...
As I stated, if the color of his skin is their primary issue and the policies are secondary in their own minds, then it is difficult to consider their view on policies to be that important. I would say that their opinion comes off as dilluted when their stance on pro-life, gun control, or any other hot-button topic is scondary to the color of someone's skin.
I will never not respect the opinion of someone when it differs from mine. As a former student at the University of Virginia, I fully respect the founding Fathers. Even I do not always agree with their decisions.
Old 07-11-09, 01:38 AM   #133
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
We're not going to get from Cro-Magnon to the Ubermensch in one lifetime. I would hate for someone to totally dismiss my ideas in one arena because they didn't like my stance in another.
An extremely strong point, people are so damn afraid of change in any form that they will revert to hatred of one party, race, or fundamentally sound policy to avoid it.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.