Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-09, 02:29 PM   #51
muddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

First off Mississippi: been fishing for 42 years on Crowded lakes in the north east, lived in New Orleans for several years, fished Poncatrain, several tidal waters and a few Resiviors, and have fished The Fork in Texas, many lakes and rivers in Florida, and on the NY/Canadian border, nothing ever happened remotley close to the scenario you put up. Could it happen, probablly on the same day the martians attack my boat, so if it ever happens I will let you know how I react

Nofear engineer: I really dont care what your views are and who you are, thats not inflamatory, thats just plain old flat line.,I have no opionions about you, dont seem like the kind of fella I would hang with, nothing personal , doubt you would inivite me over for tea either. I am not looking for an argument I disagree strongly with your point, and you are going to see with me you aint changing me, now I am going to get my boat off the lake and spend time with some friends, thats the stuff that really matters.
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-09, 03:22 PM   #52
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Okay then...so we're all agreed - the appropriate distance to another fisherman on the water is just out of range of his firearm.

LOL - (sorry, just couldn't resist)
Old 10-16-09, 03:37 PM   #53
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ROFL, Abbey. Now you know why I prefer very large lakes.
Old 10-16-09, 04:26 PM   #54
Forums Admin
Super Moderator

Let's stay on topic guys.
Forums Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-09, 05:35 PM   #55
TnTom

The rules of the road say that 5 blast on your horn mean "Danger, I do not understand your intention and it may not be adequate to avoid a collision".
How loudly could that be expressed every 30 seconds?
or
Maybe we could all mount cannons on our boats and we can just put one across his bow when he gets too close.
or
maybe we need to just go fishin and have a good time.

This is a situation I don't think can be resolved until the human element is removed from of the equation.

If NofearEngineer did a root cause analysis I'm guessing his findings would boil down to the presence of a process with no defined spec, no controls, and the root cause would be found to be human. (NFE: P95 it would probably ftc lol)
or
Impose another law or rule? Even if a rule or spec were imposed there would be the need to police it and still there would be encroachment.
(and I've see many more almost go to blow incidents around the ramps, tempers flairing etc). More regulation??

Simplest solution is still common sense and if you've ever said "that guy ain't got no common sense" maybe it isn't so hard to define & we really don't need a hard number. When a guy gets too close he obviously ain't got no common sense, get over it.

If a guy pulls up on you just say "hey Stupid ain't you got no common sense????" If he shoots you just call it a bad day on the lake cause __it happens.

Unless you want the govt to take care of it.

Last edited by TnTom; 10-16-09 at 06:12 PM.
TnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-09, 06:14 PM   #56
nofearengineer

TnTom...it has certainly been a while since I heard someone mention probability and failure of convergence. I hardly expected it on a bass fishing website. Thanks for the blast from the past.

You're right...we humans are pretty screwed up. We don't communicate well, and fishermen are probably statistically worse than average, being, on the whole, a bunch of outdoors guys who don't dig crowded city life.

I think I might just have to get a dog...a 120lb, child-devouring, muscles-rippling, hulk of a Rottweiler, and keep him on my boat. He's legal anywhere, and he will have no problem whatsoever communicating non-verbally with other boaters who come too close. My only worry is, he'll eat my fish before I get them into the livewell.
Old 10-16-09, 06:21 PM   #57
TnTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
TnTom...it has certainly been a while since I heard someone mention probability and failure of convergence. I hardly expected it on a bass fishing website. Thanks for the blast from the past.

You're right...we humans are pretty screwed up. We don't communicate well, and fishermen are probably statistically worse than average, being, on the whole, a bunch of outdoors guys who don't dig crowded city life.

I think I might just have to get a dog...a 120lb, child-devouring, muscles-rippling, hulk of a Rottweiler, and keep him on my boat. He's legal anywhere, and he will have no problem whatsoever communicating non-verbally with other boaters who come too close. My only worry is, he'll eat my fish before I get them into the livewell.
And you'd have to feed him once in a while so you could kill two birds with one stone and have one more great excuse for the Ms. to go fishing. "Hey Honey I'm going to feed the dog, back in a while."

Problem with that is it wouldn't be long and everyone would have a dog out there and the next thing we see on the news is Mike V. telling us how much he loves fishing and what a diverse sport it has become.

Remember how much time we used to spend solving problems lol

Last edited by TnTom; 10-16-09 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-17-09, 12:01 AM   #58
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
First off Mississippi: been fishing for 42 years on Crowded lakes in the north east, lived in New Orleans for several years, fished Poncatrain, several tidal waters and a few Resiviors, and have fished The Fork in Texas, many lakes and rivers in Florida, and on the NY/Canadian border, nothing ever happened remotley close to the scenario you put up. Could it happen, probablly on the same day the martians attack my boat, so if it ever happens I will let you know how I react.
So by that logic, you're saying that because it's never happened to you, it'll never happen to anybody? That's a big stretch. I've lost track of how many newspaper articles I've read about beatings, shootings, robberies, or whatever where the victim or an innocent bystander says "That's never happened before," or "I never thought that would happen here."

My house has never burned down, but I have fire insurance. My wife has never been in a wreck, but she wears her seatbelt. My house has never caught on fire, but I have smoke alarms and fire extinguishers. How many of the major cruise lines have ever had a ship sink? Everybody on board still has to take part in the emergency drills. I'm 29 years old, in great health, but I have medical and life insurance.

You think it's silly for one of us to go fishing with a gun. I think it's reckless to believe that nothing bad could ever happen. Chances are (and I pray with all my heart that this is true) I'll keep going fishing every chance I get till I'm 90, and I'll never have to deal with anything more dangerous than getting a hook stuck in my finger. But chances are exceedingly remote that any particular person will be attacked by a shark. But guess what...the person who gets their leg bitten off while wading in 3 feet of water had the same almost non-existent chance. If you line up one million people, pick one out and random and punch him, that person had a one in a million chance of getting hit, but he got a bloody nose anyway.

Look, we're not ever going to agree on this. You have your opinion, and I have mine. I don't think I'm going to discuss this anymore. I believe I've made my point, and if I go any farther with this, I think it's going to start raising tempers. So I say we agree to disagree, and go fishing.
Now, I'm going to get my daughter out of her little swing and kiss her, then go to bed. Good night, and good luck.
Old 10-17-09, 01:39 AM   #59
muddy

Huge difference; Protecting one's future and economic well being with health insurance and protecting one 's self from the boogie man.
Old 10-17-09, 09:22 AM   #60
MississippiBoy

I said I wasn't going to say anymore on this subject, but I'm having a hard time keeping my mouth shut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
So by that logic, you're saying that because it's never happened to you, it'll never happen to anybody? That's a big stretch.
You still haven't answered my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
Huge difference; Protecting one's future and economic well being with health insurance and protecting one 's self from the boogie man.
Seriously? The boogie man? He doesn't exist. Idiots that will knife you for the $60 in your wallet do.
What about protecting your physical well being?
Old 10-17-09, 09:46 AM   #61
muddy

Okay you want a straight answer: After thousands of hours on the water, some in some real far away bayous and river arms,and Wilderness lakes in the Adirondacks and Southern Canada ( as well as off shore fishing for Blue Fish and Stipe Bass) and nothing like this has happened to me or any of my friends over a 42 year span of fishing, and in the 58 years I have been on the planet never heard anything close to the scenario you put up : It is not a stretch it is wating for the boogie man' I would feel a certain sense of paranoia ( I DID NOT SAY YOU WERE PARANOID, before we go off on that tangent) I said IF I WENT OUT EACH TIME WITH THE THOUGHT THIS COULD HAPPEN ; IT WOULD BE A PARANOID experience for ME and I fish for enjoyment not more tension.

Last edited by muddy; 10-17-09 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-18-09, 09:56 AM   #62
Baron49
BassFishin.Com Member

Wow...I am really surprised at where this thread has gone. All over a "common sense" question?

I guess I better be more careful when fishing the back bays on the St. Lawence River or the vast expanses of reeds in Florida, cause next I will need to watch out for Pirates?
Old 10-18-09, 05:57 PM   #63
Bassmagician
BassFishin.Com Member

In the areas I fish, there is usually no problem with crowding. Maybe it's because everyone still gives you a little wave when they pass by or when passing a fishing boat, most everyone idles by (out of good home training). 100 feet is a good distance, most of the tounaments I fish in, you can be disquallified for crowding another boats fishing space (100 feet). One other thing, every boat here has a gun in it, all it would take is one hothead ( putting it nice ) to start a big mess. Everyone needs a release for stress don't take your problems on the water, leave them at the boat launch.
Old 10-18-09, 09:37 PM   #64
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron49 View Post
cause next I will need to watch out for Pirates?
Hmmmm...I've got a parrot. My leg is all scraped up, and if I let it get nice and infected, I can get a pegleg. This is giving me ideas......

ARRRRRRRRR......AVAST YE MATEYS!!!!!!

Nope....it just isn't me....I guess everyone is safe.
Old 10-18-09, 10:19 PM   #65
TnTom

Yohoho and a bottle of Bud Light.

Last edited by TnTom; 10-18-09 at 10:32 PM.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.