Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-12-10, 08:14 PM   #26
Krtismo
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I didn't realize that Krtismo. Thanks for the heads up. I've only seen 1/4 oz. size skitterpops.
Ya, I'm not sure how available they are in stores but they do exist according to the website.

http://www.rapala.com/products/lures/skitter_pop/
Krtismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 10:21 PM   #27
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
I was casting with a 7ft MH casting Cabelas XML casting rod with a Revo SX loaded with 17 pound mono. But that probably wouldn't normally be my first choice. I have a 6 1/2 ft medium action casting outfit with 12 pound line that might work better. Also I could go with a 6 1/2 MH action casting outfit. Still at the experimenting stage here.

Experiment and find out what works best for you,in my opinion you could use a medium heavy power rod but I do not think there is really much use for a medium heavy power rod because you are casting on top of the water so you dont really need that much extra power as you would with lets say a jig in heavy cover,crankbaits etc etc and dont worry about casting the lure because medium power rods will definitely handle the lure weight for most topwater lures but unfortuantly it costs alot of money to have a rod for every single kind of lure .

I hear the most immportant thing you want with a topwater lure though is a moderate action or otherwise a slower action so you can give the fish more time to inhale your bait before you set the hook same as crankbaits.
So If you have a crankbait rod it will work just fine no need to spend the extra money on something new when you could be buying more lures
But on the other hand I have heard some people also use fast action rods for topwater as well because its easier to walk the dog and work your lures you just must learn delay your hookset a second or two,so I am still experimenting myself on this topic what does everybody else think what makes more sense fast action or moderate action?

Last edited by thekevster; 08-12-10 at 11:08 PM.
thekevster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 10:43 PM   #28
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Keith...on second thought.....since we're friends, I'll give up my secret weapon.

Old 08-13-10, 12:16 AM   #29
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Keith...on second thought.....since we're friends, I'll give up my secret weapon.

WOw!!! Now THATS a POPPER!!!!!!!!!! hahaha
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 12:22 AM   #30
keithdog

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekevster View Post
Experiment and find out what works best for you,in my opinion you could use a medium heavy power rod but I do not think there is really much use for a medium heavy power rod because you are casting on top of the water so you dont really need that much extra power as you would with lets say a jig in heavy cover,crankbaits etc etc and dont worry about casting the lure because medium power rods will definitely handle the lure weight for most topwater lures but unfortuantly it costs alot of money to have a rod for every single kind of lure .

I hear the most immportant thing you want with a topwater lure though is a moderate action or otherwise a slower action so you can give the fish more time to inhale your bait before you set the hook same as crankbaits.
So If you have a crankbait rod it will work just fine no need to spend the extra money on something new when you could be buying more lures
But on the other hand I have heard some people also use fast action rods for topwater as well because its easier to walk the dog and work your lures you just must learn delay your hookset a second or two,so I am still experimenting myself on this topic what does everybody else think what makes more sense fast action or moderate action?
Lots of good food for thought there Kevster. Actually, the ideal outfit I would think would be a 6 1/2 ft med power rod with MF action, and about a 6.2 - 1 ratio reel. That day I had 8 outfits all rigged up at once as is my norm. I ended up using the rod/reel combo I did simply because that was the only combo that had a lure tied to it I was willing to put back into the tackle bag, hahaha. I need a bigger boat so I can carry more rigs!
Old 08-13-10, 09:00 AM   #31
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Bryce, I see you're getting some practice with your wireless trigger. By the way, what rod do you throw that popper on?

When it comes to topwater rods, it's as versatile as spinnerbaits. I've used a 6' M XF, 6'6" MH F, 7' M F, 7'6" MH F and all have worked fine. The one I haven't tried yet is my crankbait rod (7' M M). I'll give it a try one night in my pond and let everyone know how it works.

BB
Old 08-13-10, 10:04 AM   #32
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I use and like Don Iovino's Splash-It II (Big) and catch fish on it.

But the hooks are incredibly weak and will straighten out every time. I have no idea what brand treble comes stock on it, but it really is amazing how weak they are. So first thing I do is swap in some new trebles.

The Rico and G-Splash are good too.

Don't forget about the Gunfish 95. It's a compact pencil popper that is much more subtle. It works great very close to cover and I tend to power fish with it.
If you use a rod that is too stiff, the hooks on the Splash It's will bend. I occasionally will have a one bend a little on a big fish, but I just straighten it back out and keep on with it. I think the hooks on the Splash It's are the sharpest I've used.

Quote:
Lots of good food for thought there Kevster. Actually, the ideal outfit I would think would be a 6 1/2 ft med power rod with MF action, and about a 6.2 - 1 ratio reel. That day I had 8 outfits all rigged up at once as is my norm. I ended up using the rod/reel combo I did simply because that was the only combo that had a lure tied to it I was willing to put back into the tackle bag, hahaha. I need a bigger boat so I can carry more rigs!
Been using this rod for a couple years now:
LFC-2-169 LR Topwater Special

I still break out my Lew's Poppin' Special quite a bit.

Anything over medium is overkill with a popper. A rod that's too stiff will wear a guy out.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 11:02 AM   #33
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post

When it comes to topwater rods, it's as versatile as spinnerbaits. I've used a 6' M XF, 6'6" MH F, 7' M F, 7'6" MH F and all have worked fine. The one I haven't tried yet is my crankbait rod (7' M M). I'll give it a try one night in my pond and let everyone know how it works.

BB
Yea topwater is very versatile just like spinnerbait rods.The only thing I could see wrong with using your crankbait rod is if your using a MH rod and its glass its going to be heavy.
Old 08-13-10, 08:38 PM   #34
BigBassin144

Quote:
Yea topwater is very versatile just like spinnerbait rods.The only thing I could see wrong with using your crankbait rod is if your using a MH rod and its glass its going to be heavy.
I used my 7' Med Mod graphite crankbait rod tonight for topwaters in my pond. I tried everything from small buzzbaits to poppers to a walk-the-dog bait.

It worked great for the popper and small buzzbait, although I would want something a bit stronger for larger buzzbaits. Also, I like something a bit faster action for walking the dog. I'll have to remember my crankin' stick next time I fish a popper.

BB
Old 08-13-10, 11:29 PM   #35
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm by no means an expert on poppers but I like to use a Powell Max 702c, 7' M XF. It is pretty lightly powered as far as mediums go. It is the same rod I use for hard jerkbaits.
Old 08-13-10, 11:48 PM   #36
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Im going to do some experimenting with this myself and see what feels more natural to me .
Did you try to catch fish in your pond and did you get anything or were you just practicing casting and retrieving? If you got something how was the hook set?

Yea It seems like you would need that fast action for walking the dog style baits so the question is would you really get better hook sets using a moderate action rod or would it be all around the best choice to stick with a medium power fast action rod for poppers,buzzbaits,topwater lures etc etc.It would be weird to have one topwater rod for buzzbaits/poppers and another for lures you walk the dog with.Also It would be kind of hard to get used to two different action topwater rods instead of mastering it with one kind of action.It really is just down to the individual angler and what you feel comfortable with and what works for you.
Old 08-14-10, 08:27 AM   #37
BigBassin144

Quote:
Did you try to catch fish in your pond and did you get anything or were you just practicing casting and retrieving? If you got something how was the hook set?
I got one hit on the popper, but all there is in our pond is small 7-12" bass. I was mostly just checking out retrieves and such.

BB
Old 08-14-10, 08:36 AM   #38
walkeraviator

Sorry I didnt get back to this thread Keith... the reaso i asked teh rod/reel question is because you stated you want larger to throw farther... So I was gonna suggest using a spinning setup. I use a 6'0" medium/fast spinning setup... though as you know a fast action spinning tip is still pretty noodle-ish... i like em short cuz i fish around cluttered banks a lot, and shorter means more accuracy when i need it... but with the buggy whip tip, and spinning reel... i get all teh distance i can stand from even small poppers... another good reason for the whip tip is teh same reason you like em on crank baits... treble hooks come out easy if you dont let teh fish have some room to move so teh medium tip and mono line let it move however it wants without throwin the hooks...

just my $.02
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-10, 09:44 PM   #39
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
Sorry I didnt get back to this thread Keith... the reaso i asked teh rod/reel question is because you stated you want larger to throw farther... So I was gonna suggest using a spinning setup. I use a 6'0" medium/fast spinning setup... though as you know a fast action spinning tip is still pretty noodle-ish... i like em short cuz i fish around cluttered banks a lot, and shorter means more accuracy when i need it... but with the buggy whip tip, and spinning reel... i get all teh distance i can stand from even small poppers... another good reason for the whip tip is teh same reason you like em on crank baits... treble hooks come out easy if you dont let teh fish have some room to move so teh medium tip and mono line let it move however it wants without throwin the hooks...

just my $.02
Very good points. I have a 6 1/2 ft spinning setup I'll try the lighter ones on.
Old 08-15-10, 09:15 AM   #40
rrw4258

Poppers are by far my favorite bait to fish....

My two favorite baits to fish are the Xcalibur Zell Pop and the Strike King Spit-N-King.

Tackle I use is a 6'9" MH Fast action rod with a 6.4:1 reel loaded with 12 lb. P-Line CXX Mono.

Ryan
Old 08-15-10, 11:44 AM   #41
keithdog

Picked up an Excaliber Zell Pop in 3 inch yesterday. Suprisingly, that was the only popper our local BPS store had in a 3 inch version.
Old 08-15-10, 07:02 PM   #42
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Picked up an Excaliber Zell Pop in 3 inch yesterday. Suprisingly, that was the only popper our local BPS store had in a 3 inch version.
Let us know how it goes for ya.
Yea bass pro shops doesnt always have everything in stock thats why I usually order from them online,but then again I kind of have to its a 2 hour drive away from me to my "local" bps lol.
Old 08-15-10, 07:58 PM   #43
walkeraviator

i use a 5'6" Medium/Moderate for all topwater.. walkin the dog, poppin, or prop baitin...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.