Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-12, 12:28 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default What WAS I thinking?

Tomorrow 3 of us are taking our kayaks on a one hour trip north (above Reading, PA) to fish the large reservoir known officially as Blue Marsh, unofficially as the Dead Sea. We are suffering through a 10 day heatwave, with tomorrow's ACTUAL high predicted at 103, with the heat index factoring in the humidity it will feel like 110! We'll be on the water at dawn and I'm pretty darn sure headed home by 11:00. It should be a totally miserable day - and yes that's my OPTOMISTIC assessment. I think I may be swimming by 09:00.

I am an idiot, I know, but the reason I will go through with this is to get my nephew accustomed to a kayak. We want to go down to the Potomac (kayak fishing) in a couple weeks and he's never been in one. Yeah, it's a practice and acclamation day, and it's the only day I could get him out.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-12, 12:52 PM   #2
WaffleJaw

....Not gay at all.
But seriously though dawn till eleven is my exact summertime slot!

Old 07-06-12, 03:55 PM   #3
3dkicker

Bring plenty of water/gatorade and take a swim when needed. Water temps on the lake here hit 93 yesterday and 99 on the "hot" side. I'm sure the river is in the mid 80's if not pushing 90 now. Cold front coming through should drop things into more reasonable temps.
Old 07-06-12, 04:17 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Lots of water on ice, and a towell dipped into the ice water for your occation head cool down would help. Good luck man. I was out there yesterday in the full sun till noon fishing and it got brutal.
Old 07-06-12, 04:18 PM   #5
WTL

Why not try fishing at night? Rig up some lights and give it a shot.

Bass gotta eat sometime, and they damn sure arent gonna wanna eat at midday....
Old 07-06-12, 06:57 PM   #6
bamabassman

uuummmm pancake.....yeah......GAY. bwahahahaha!! kidding really. that is nice for real.

and i agreew ith billy, why not start round midNIGHT and fish till say....9 am?
Old 07-07-12, 02:25 PM   #7
bassboogieman

Well it was HOT. Got started right at daylight, water temp was 85 and fishing was sloooooow. No takers on poppers early so as the sun came up I went to a Senko, always catches fish. We caught a few bass, nothing to really brag about other than my nephew enjoyed his first time fishing from a kayak. He also landed his first pure strain muskie, on a crankbait, a nice 30" fish that pulled him around a little in the yak. I was on the other side of the lake so I didn't get a picture - really sorry I didn't, as it was a nice one, especially for a first time. We caught about 30 bass between the 3 of us, only 2 keepers (15"). Got off the water at 11:30, air temp was up to 98, and that's HOT. I think I need a nap...................
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-12, 10:19 PM   #8
bamabassman

bruce, i went to the mudhole (weiss) friday morning. same as oyu pal...HOT. lol.

air temp was round 75, water temp was 85. i too tried a pop-r, spro frog to no avail. grabbed the lizzie rod and got 2 . 1 real dink and 1 nice keeper. i stayed till 10:30 am. started at 5 am. when i started seeing and feeling the waves of the jet fleas and party boaters i headed in. had one fella on a jet flea come RIGHT up to me. full speed and about 50 feet away turned and shot a massive wave on me. then had the nerve to ask me how the fishing was. by that time he had floated to about 10 feet from me. i calmly turned to him and said, "it was ok till oyu bout knocked off my boat with that @#$% thing. now if you don't get the #$%^ away from me, oyu're gonna know how a bass feels with a set of treble in his mouth!" needless to say he left in a hurry. i then cranked up and followed him, when he got to where he was staying, yes..... i bout flipped him over with da rajun cajun. full speed and a wake that shot a 4 foot wave on him. i think he got the message.

at least ya'll got to try out the yak. glad the nephew enjoyed his trip. and that oyu were there to help him out.
Old 07-08-12, 08:20 AM   #9
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
bruce, i went to the mudhole (weiss) friday morning. same as oyu pal...HOT. lol.

air temp was round 75, water temp was 85. i too tried a pop-r, spro frog to no avail. grabbed the lizzie rod and got 2 . 1 real dink and 1 nice keeper. i stayed till 10:30 am. started at 5 am. when i started seeing and feeling the waves of the jet fleas and party boaters i headed in. had one fella on a jet flea come RIGHT up to me. full speed and about 50 feet away turned and shot a massive wave on me. then had the nerve to ask me how the fishing was. by that time he had floated to about 10 feet from me. i calmly turned to him and said, "it was ok till oyu bout knocked off my boat with that @#$% thing. now if you don't get the #$%^ away from me, oyu're gonna know how a bass feels with a set of treble in his mouth!" needless to say he left in a hurry. i then cranked up and followed him, when he got to where he was staying, yes..... i bout flipped him over with da rajun cajun. full speed and a wake that shot a 4 foot wave on him. i think he got the message.

at least ya'll got to try out the yak. glad the nephew enjoyed his trip. and that oyu were there to help him out.
Wish I'd been there to see you chasing that guy with the peddle to the metal, hat turned backwards, red bloodshot buldging eyes, teeth clamped tighter than a snapper clamped down on Bruces Senko!!!
Old 07-08-12, 05:12 PM   #10
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The Nock is the unofficial "Dead Sea"! I keep telling people around here that if you're not on the water before the sun is up, you're too late! I am usually off the water by 9. I like Blue Marsh, but don't get to fish it much, might have chosen smaller water for a first run, Middle Creek, Struble, or Marsh Creek(or come down my way to the real dead sea or Peace Valley). At least fish were caught. My last trip to the Nock on the fourth was a unproductive death march!
Waffle, does that umbrella interfere with casting?
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-12, 09:47 PM   #11
Rebbasser

1. Water

2. Sunscreen-I recommend Bullfrog

3. Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Be sure to have him tie everything down-it is REAL easy to drop something overboard from a small boat like that.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.