Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-06, 01:02 PM   #1
damian2b
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Kayak Fishing...

Hi everyone...
I was curious if anyone out there fishes from a Kayak? There is a resevoir by my place that only allows electric motors or paddle boats/kayaks. I considered the boat with the electric motor but under the circumstances the fishing kayak would be a better suit for me. Does anyone have experience with these? Some pros/cons or recommendations on which are the best?

thanks a ton in advnace!!
Old 08-25-06, 01:07 PM   #2
Fishie1

get one with a motor on it.....also don't let bassintom hear you want to use a kayak...he might kill you...lol. He hates kayakers. One time on Bass tech they made a real sweet kayak set up with a motor on it.....you will be able to enjoy the fishing more...and won't have to work as hard like one without a motor.
Fishie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 01:15 PM   #3
damian2b

HaHa I know better than to go inbetween a fisherman and shore and inbetween a fisherman and where he has been casting...Im a fisherman I know the rules and am courteous this would be kayaking to fish. not to get exercise ;-)
Old 08-25-06, 01:43 PM   #4
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Don't put a motor on a kayak. The advantage of kayaks are that they are quiet and fast. They are easy to paddle and you can cover water fairly quickly. Because of the slim profile of a kayak its not like paddling a jon boat, you slice through the water.

Just make sure you keep away from other anglers. But you knew that.

Better yet, steal a kayak from one of those hippies...convert it for a good use, fishing and not being a hippie jerk.
Old 08-25-06, 02:09 PM   #5
Vabass22
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I whitewater kayak, as my bro-n-law is a guide, and if you have'nt done it, yoiu should. After 6 hours of paddling, though, your arms are a wee bit tired.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 02:15 PM   #6
mack
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

you can get a canoe also..youd probably have more room for gear..and you can also put a small trolling motor on it...but if you want a kayak, hes a link to a good cheap one... http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...tegoryId=42016
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 02:19 PM   #7
Vabass22

I would go with a good plastic one like an Arrow, make sure you do not get one that requires a skirt, because you probably do not know how to roll, and if you flip, (which you will, there is no getting around it) you will most like ly drown.
Old 08-25-06, 02:40 PM   #8
damian2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vabass22 View Post
I would go with a good plastic one like an Arrow, make sure you do not get one that requires a skirt, because you probably do not know how to roll, and if you flip, (which you will, there is no getting around it) you will most like ly drown.
Riigghhttt....probably not gonna get the white water kind. Looking at the open top type. Thanks for the Advice!!!
Old 08-25-06, 06:39 PM   #9
Vabass22

Yeah, people have died doing stupid stuff like buying those with no experience. I would go out for a total of at least 10 hours before I fished out of one though.
Old 08-25-06, 08:24 PM   #10
pig n jig

Unless Tommy gets his way, its illegal to fish for Kayaks. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 10:00 PM   #11
Christopherkeene9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vabass22 View Post
Or you can go Southern Salt way and get a sit on top. Let me find some pics of some rigged out ones!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 10:11 PM   #12
Christopherkeene9

Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 11:19 PM   #13
tournyfisher508
BassFishin.Com Member

i like the cock pit personaly me and flamez aka the fag boy lol we go out in ours on a regular of course ive got big fish on a kyake 8 plus lbs but thats besides the point it takes a little gettin use to but once u get it u can fish in up to 4 inches of water and go over any vegitashion like nothing and also go places no bass boat could ever see
tournyfisher508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 02:53 PM   #14
doverdog
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Kayak fishing

Hey Damien,
I am a kayak fisherman. I agree with VaBass. A rotomold (plastic) kayak is best. They're cheaper, and easy to modify. I would get a sit-on-top. A lot of guys like the Wilderness Systems Prowler, or an Ocean Kayak (Christopher's pics), both both seem to be pretty popular in the yakfishin' community. I have a sit-in style (2 seat tendem) since my wife and I use it for day trips, also. If you plan on using in for saltwater trips, you definitely want a sit-on-top. They are a more stable platform, and if you capsize, they won't fill with water.
If you would like to see pictures of rigged kayaks, try here .
Fishing from a kayak has both good points, and bad points. Pesonally, I love fishing from mine. I can get to into places that no power boat can go, but I spend a LOT more time getting there.
Right now, though, I'm looking to get my first powered fishing boat.
And on a final note, as to BassinTom's yakker issues....I too have had problems with others while fishing. Some were powerboaters, some were shorefisherman, and yes, some were fellow kayakers. I don't think the problem is with any one group. I think you have some people out the who "get it", and you have some that just don't.
doverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-06, 11:12 AM   #15
PowerBass

Hobbie Cat, they have the pedal models, Perfect for shallow water bassin, Hank parker did a show using them exclusivley.
Old 08-29-06, 11:14 AM   #16
Vabass22

Pedals, make more noise, have more moving parts, and displace more water than paddling. If you are fishing a big lake, 300+ acres, then you should have pedals, to get close, then paddle to where you want. If fishing a smaller place, paddles, are the only way to go IMO.
Old 08-29-06, 12:04 PM   #17
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

kayaks would make nice bottom structure(along with their braindead owners).that's all they're good for.don't get me started.
Old 08-29-06, 12:18 PM   #18
crankybait

damian, where do you live... i know of a reservoir theat only allows electric motors. Are you in NJ? and why do you want a kayak?? If its price i saw a nice jon boat type thing at dicks for 400.
Old 08-29-06, 12:26 PM   #19
Vabass22

No, I don't think its price, its the stealth, and the sixe, and maneuverability sp? of the boats. No noisy motors, and you can go places powerboats can't. It's also really peaceful and pretty out there in a kayak.
Old 08-29-06, 12:29 PM   #20
crankybait

yes, but the boat i saw was a decent size, not too big not too small, and could be rowed. I think he just wants a boa without a loud motor. I'd think the boat i saaw would be easier to fish from.
Old 08-29-06, 04:02 PM   #21
Snake2715

Well now is the time anyway as the season is amolst over in the northern states. There are quite a few labor days sales on kayaks right now. Also you can check paddling.net for reviews.

Another place to check would be any local kayak rental areas as they normally sell off their old stock at seasons end... Then theres eBay as well as Craigslist.

Good luck.
Old 08-29-06, 06:29 PM   #22
flamez

ive had times with tournyfisher where i get snagged and i roll right up on my spot unsnag my lure and i wasnt gonna give this spot up over something like that so i drop my t rigged super hog down and pull up a fish as i talk to tournyfisher he drop his line right down the side of the boat in about 3-4 foot of water when he finished lightin up he lifted up his rod with a fish on it

"swifty 9.5 for the win" < only tournyfisher will get that
Old 08-29-06, 07:52 PM   #23
crankybait

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack View Post
thats the point..he wants a kayak..somebody who asks for a good spinnerbait doesnt want to hear about crankbaits...if he wants a kayak, talk about kayaks...thats how threads go off topic..
Totally unrelated. a crankbait and a spinnerbait are almost comletely different things, other than the purpose to catch fish. Why does he want a kayak, i would like to know, because if i knew then i could see if the boat would be good. Its a suggestion. They are both watercraft, not too big, rowable, with motors. I just think it could be better for fishing with a boat. If i was looking for a spinning reel, i wouldn't mind sombody informing me of a baitcasting reel that would better suit my needs
Old 08-29-06, 08:53 PM   #24
crankybait

Yes but how does he know for sure a kayak is what would be best for him? I know he wants one, but why? If i wanted a deep diver hadbait when under the conditions a spinnerbait would do the trick, would you just reccomend a hardbait? For the record, it's spelt analogy, Mr. Cranky lacks common sense. And i gave you reasons right there why they are related, read it again. The part where i said they are both watercraft, not too big, rowable, and could be used with motors.
Old 08-29-06, 11:18 PM   #25
mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamez View Post
get back on to the topic of helpin this guy with his kayak questions
that was my intention...i posted a link for a kayak, and another member is questioning him for wanting a kayak and talking about boats...
mack is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.