Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 01-13-07, 01:27 PM   #1
InEccess
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess
Default Professions, what's yours?

I'm 26 years old and I'm working at a job I hate. It pays the bills (I rent), but it's just keeping me stuck in a rut. I'm looking for a career change but I don't know what I want other then something 9-5, Monday-Friday, and something that would be leenient towards my tournament schedule. Oh, and something that will let me afford a truck, boat, and a house.

What do you fellow fishermen do for a living that puts gas in the tank, food on the table, and a boat to cast off of?
Old 01-13-07, 01:37 PM   #2
revrat
BassFishin.Com Member

I work in a powerplant right now. It pays pretty good and it gives a lot of time off, but much of it is during the week. My tournament schedule suffers a bit due to work schedule, but fishing during the week a lot is nice. If I were going to start out a new career while making fishing time a priority, I would become a fireman. They get paid pretty well, usually with good state bennies, and have tons of time off. The work can be very rewarding too, and we all know that chicks dig firemen. It may take a while before one would gain a lot of flexibilty in scheduling to make every tournament, but it is definitely a good path to that goal.

Another way to ensure plenty of fishing time for touraments is to build your own business. It will take away from fishing time until you are up and running, but once you get a successful business underway, you should be able to make your own hours. That can be very hard work to get it going and may take several years to get you where you want to be.

Yet another plan, and the plan I'm on is this: Try to win the Lotto! Problem solved!
revrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 01:58 PM   #3
smallmouthaddict
BassFishin.Com Member

I drive a truck in the lower pininsula of Mich. for a company that distributes Merillat cabinets,dupont corian and zodiaq solid surfaces.
smallmouthaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 02:08 PM   #4
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i am a part time landscaper at the moment.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 02:15 PM   #5
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

I walk my neighbors dog every day for 15 minutes and get 5 bucks a day.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 02:50 PM   #6
Vabass22

I dont think 5 bucks a day will put food on the table, letalone a house over your head.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 02:53 PM   #7
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

He asked what my profession was, so i gave it to him.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 03:24 PM   #8
pig n jig

Thats funny, I have worked at the same sheet metal fabrication shop for 24 years and counting.I hate every day I have to go to work, but I still get up and go to work.They currently have had 2 layoffs there, the first 160 people lost their job , the second which was this last friday left another 54 people without a job. I still have to go to work Monday, so all in all, I might not hate it as bad as I might think, as I can keep going to work to pay my bills. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 03:57 PM   #9
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have never heard of a job or profession that didn't suck at some point or another. Even professional fisherman have crappy jobs at one point or another.

There are days that my job is terrible. I hate having to do what I do sometimes. But, it is the profession I wanted and I won't change it either. I work hard to support my family and my addiction (fishing). That is just the way it is.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 04:05 PM   #10
mont_lunker_hunter

I'm a forester in Arkansas. My truck, gas, truck insurance, and pretty much everything having to do with the truck is paid for (also an ATV is provided). So, that pretty much leaves me to waste money on...oh, i mean "experiment with"...new gadgets for my boat! But, i guess my college tuition payments kinda take the place of your truck payment!
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 04:12 PM   #11
Big Mac
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't think you want my profession right now, Ineccess. I'm retired. I was a sergeant in the local Sheriff's Department, senior sergeant, all that meant was I got the days and vacation dates that I wanted before anyone else got to pick theirs. Yes the benefits are very good.

In every large town or city there are job centers, all local and state offices that are hiring have to post there. Give them a call and see if one of the workers can help you. There are also appitude tests that can point you in a direction that will follow your natural abilities, more likely to be a job you will like. Such offices also have knowlege of trends in businesses, which ones are growing and which ones are not.

.....mac
Big Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 05:31 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i work for owens corning making vinyl siding. we work 12 hour shifts which can be tough but the days off are great. this week i was off monday and tuesday, worked wednesday and thursday, and off friday, saturday, and sunday. next week i will only be off wednesday and thursday. it alternates every week and the three day weekends are great. plus it pays pretty well.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 08:35 PM   #13
zooker

i work outside year round. i am a saw boss/forklift driver/whipping boy.. but i have been at it for 10+ years. it is the reason i am going grey..

zooker
Old 01-14-07, 10:13 AM   #14
JRL

I make composite test equipment for the U.S. and Canadian airforce. Mostly radome covers for testing signals pre flight.

Before I got this job composites was a hobby. I brought my lap top in to the interview, showed them my picture files of all the crap I make. They hired me on the spot.

The cool part of this job is the material/product knowledge Im learning. So basically its a trade that can lead to self employment. Eventually I plan on doing my own non-military stuff. My side project right now is a silicone mold for a carbon fiber herring lure Im trying to make before snook season starts.
Old 01-14-07, 10:37 AM   #15
JB

Actually I like my job and don't mind going, esp. when you factor in 250 women that work in the area and on a good day you can see a handfull that aren't bad lookin'
Much like PNJ's job, I work in the sheetmetal biz, I run a DMAC crane and load lasers with sheet metal, work with riggers to move machinery about every couple of months, order and maintain a 3 million dollar inventory of stainless, aluminum, and coldroll steel, plus I load a FMS turret punching system that holds 12 dif kinds of metals, then I am the one that decides which operator runs which alloy(until a hot job comes down). But 98% of my time is running the crane, I work inside and some outside.
Unload semi's that have coils, sheets, and maintence materials(I beams, and other junk). I order the metal and then a purchasing agent OK's it, gives it a purchase order to www.ryerson.com (ryerson/tull steel giants)
I get to work on my own almost all day, and have been doing it for 28 years. Get 5 weeks vacation, and insurance is 4 bucks a week..2000 buck out of pocket max. ...scripts are 10 and 20 bucks.
The only thing that bugs me at work is workers that want metal right now to look busy, then milk it out all day.
Oh yea, I try not to get killed everyday too.
It could pay more too LOL
thats www.hennypenny.com folks, put your app. in today~! lol
HennyPenny makes restuarant equip and show cases and warming units for fried chicken and store deli stuff...all they made when I started was the chicken fryer..
Our biggest accounts are KFC and mcdonalds.
We just built a plant in china just for KFC asian market..
Guess what the top pay is over there? $2.60 an hour lol
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:42 AM   #16
skeeter944

$2.60 an hour! wow! i guess thew chinese dont care since thats pretty good pay to them.
Old 01-14-07, 10:46 AM   #17
JB

I was telling zooker once when I got a word in edgewise that the china plant has executive parking, they have a bike rack...6 bikes and 2 mopeds...no sh*t! they sent pics of the plant last year when they built it, its a clone of our building..lol
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:51 AM   #18
skeeter944

lol jb! thats pretty funny!
Old 01-14-07, 10:51 AM   #19
Christopherkeene9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL View Post
I make composite test equipment for the U.S. and Canadian airforce. Mostly radome covers for testing signals pre flight.

Before I got this job composites was a hobby. I brought my lap top in to the interview, showed them my picture files of all the crap I make. They hired me on the spot.

The cool part of this job is the material/product knowledge Im learning. So basically its a trade that can lead to self employment. Eventually I plan on doing my own non-military stuff. My side project right now is a silicone mold for a carbon fiber herring lure Im trying to make before snook season starts.
A carbon fiber lure, where do I get one of those
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 11:07 AM   #20
Bender

I have been working in tube bending for 12+ years now. Started off as an operator running a bender in Indiana. Then maintenance, then service technician, dabbled in software for benders, now last fall started a new company with my former boss as a partner. Now we only import benders from Italy and it is going really well. I guess working insane hours and a lot of 7 day weeks pays off. Today I am cleaning my office and working on the new website.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 11:16 AM   #21
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I was telling zooker once when I got a word in edgewise
Thats a classic Roflmao....P N J

Last edited by pig n jig; 01-14-07 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-14-07, 01:05 PM   #22
JRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopherkeene9 View Post
A carbon fiber lure, where do I get one of those
Its wont be 100% carbon. And probably wont be for sale (although I know a few of them Im going to give away for free)

I have the balsa plug built and ready for molding.

Heres my plan so far:

The upper half will be 4x4 carbon twill (looks identical to fish scales). The lower half will be white satin weave s-glass (looks like finer scales). Then Ill airbrush the rest of the detail needed. The lip will be made out of infused S-Glass.

The core material will be balsa in the upper portion, and two part urethane in the lower portion (which is why Im making a silicone mold of the bottom half of the plug). The reason why Im using urethane in the lower half is because Ill be able to control the weight of the lure. Pour more for sinking, or, pour less for suspending/floating. Plus the urethane Im using is machineable. It will allow for removeable SS set screws for added weight when needed. I also plan of running small aluminum tubes through the urethane (just incase a king, or, something bigger hits it).
Old 01-14-07, 06:25 PM   #23
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL View Post
Its wont be 100% carbon. And probably wont be for sale (although I know a few of them Im going to give away for free)

I have the balsa plug built and ready for molding.

Heres my plan so far:

The upper half will be 4x4 carbon twill (looks identical to fish scales). The lower half will be white satin weave s-glass (looks like finer scales). Then Ill airbrush the rest of the detail needed. The lip will be made out of infused S-Glass.

The core material will be balsa in the upper portion, and two part urethane in the lower portion (which is why Im making a silicone mold of the bottom half of the plug). The reason why Im using urethane in the lower half is because Ill be able to control the weight of the lure. Pour more for sinking, or, pour less for suspending/floating. Plus the urethane Im using is machineable. It will allow for removeable SS set screws for added weight when needed. I also plan of running small aluminum tubes through the urethane (just incase a king, or, something bigger hits it).
It sounds like you have been planning this lure for some time, or already have made some protoypes before ?Delrin comes in different rod lengths, machinable and has the tensile strength that is stronger than aluminum. P N J
Old 01-14-07, 07:05 PM   #24
JRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
Delrin comes in different rod lengths, machinable and has the tensile strength that is stronger than aluminum. P N J
We use that stuff extensively seeing as how it wont interfere with the radars signal.....Its really cool stuff. Good idea by the way. Gotta see how much it is vs. aluminum.

Writing about this got me inspired enough to get some work done. Just demolded the silicone lower half. I molded the eye hooks into the silicone. That way Ill be able to lay the eye hooks into the mold and pour urethane around them......so basically making them permanant vs. unscrewable.

I have made some lures back in high school. I coppied the castiac lures. Im 29 now. So its been 10 years since Ive played with this stuff (making lures). No prototype of this lure as of yet though.
Old 01-15-07, 04:23 AM   #25
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'm the good ole "concrete man" I build the world that everyone else gets to put their crap on

Theres no real title for what I am...just what everyone calls us. The concrete guy, man, boy, whatever. Its my dad and I who work together with people who help us. Its a good job to have. Off when I want, great pay, outdoors, no boss, so on and so on....the only bad part is the winter.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.