Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-20-07, 05:13 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Let's Compare

I know this was a thread last year but I just now got back from the baitmonkeys store and decided to compare 3 types of frogs.
I was only going after some 4/0 hooks, but decided to get a few bags of the Manns Hardnose frog, and some ribbits.
I like the idea of the ribbit making a topwater sound similiar to a buzzbait when running it fast over open water.......Denny was using them last night and it was my first time to see them in action, so of course I had to add a couple dozen to my arsenal.
I got all 3 dif types out and they are very close in size and length. The ribbit advertises its a HIGH FLOATER, big deal huh? but I was more interested in the slot size they give you and how the hook will penetrate.
The Manns Hard Nose frog is almost the same size, dif feet, but advertises the hardnose keeps the hook in place...no big whoop, if I have problems of that nature on the water I either glue it in place or use a toothpick.
All three have dif feet, will come in handy for open water, however most of my fishing will be on the mat.
The zoom horny toad spirals as it falls in the open pockets, this particuliar
Ribbit I got floats, so the combo of all three should make some fun testing.
any comments pros or cons on the three brands?
Manns

zooms

Ribbit
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-07, 09:17 AM   #2
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Sorry JB, I don't use them much, maybe once or twice a year, I have nothing to say good or bad, but felt obligated to post something to let you know someone read the entire article you wrote......
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-07, 09:37 AM   #3
BassAddict

I'd be curious as to what people think of the Ribbit. I've used both the HT and the Hardnose and I like the action of the HT a little better. I seem to get more bites on those. Honestly though... I've switched to the Spro Bronze Eye Jr. frog (Dean Rojas design) and have been having awesome luck with that. The bass have been exploding on it. I will be trying it again this weekend on a different lake.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-07, 09:49 AM   #4
JB

thanks for the input guys, I figure that manns are 1/3 the price, if they work ok I can stock up on them..the horny toads are 4 bucks a bag now.
Old 06-22-07, 10:44 AM   #5
Nitro911

My dad introduced my to the Ribbit last week and we had a great morning on them. I have been throwing a Zoom Buzzfrog and I like them, also.
Old 06-22-07, 11:20 AM   #6
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

i like gamblers cane toad you have to weight the head a little bit though because it rides up out of the water a little bit.
Old 06-22-07, 03:42 PM   #7
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

JB, I have about 20 different brands of toads. Last year I wanted to try them all out but didn't. I tried maybe about 7 or 8 of them. For me the Horny Toad always produced better, a close second is the hard nose. There were days when I started with a different brand and until I threw the Horny Toad they wouldn't touch anything else. This year when I go on vacation I will again try them all out and keep records. One other one that has limited success is the Yum Buzz Frog. Once I try some other and then switch to the Horny Toad I have too much fun throwing it than any other toad. Getting away from the toads the Strike King Rat is a very good producer. It casts far and I like that for back in the pads.

Bob
Old 06-22-07, 03:46 PM   #8
JB

thanks for the info bob,
I think they out perform the scumfrog and tournament frog that I had used for years, in my application the heavier weight makes a dif. on the mat of vegetation. Plus the 4/0 or 5/0 hook IMO gets more hook ups than the old pair of hooks that came with the older frogs, plus the gammys are lot sharper, and usually new.
thanks again
Old 06-29-07, 01:52 PM   #9
basschamp4
BassFishin.Com Active Member

bob do you fish the horny toads with or without weight and what hooks
basschamp4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.