Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-08, 02:42 PM   #1
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing
Default The Distance Debate

For the past couple of weeks, I've really been noticing my casting distance on most of my rods. The past few trips out, I've really noticed I can't top 20-25 yards with anything on my Crankin' Stick and I think it might be the reel.

My Crankin' Stick, a 7' Med-Hvy, Moderate Action rod, matched with a Shimano Citica 201D, (left hand), seems to get the worst distance of any of my rods/reels. Even when I casted a Bomber Fat Free Shad, 3/4 ounce, I couldn't top 30-35 yards on a great cast. Even with one brake on, I couldn't top 30 yards with a DT-10! Then I switch to no brakes and it's an all out backlash. Does anyone have any tips for me? Zook, you fish cranks a lot, what reel/rod do you use for shallow/deep cranks and what should a good cast get me?

Also, on my Daiwa Fuego L, (left hand), does it have magnetic brakes such as the Citica's and Pflueger Supreme's have? You know, those little caps you pop in and out. Does this reel have that? Just wondering because I don't see a door or a button like my other reels have.

Thanks...
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08, 03:01 PM   #2
mariner
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

buzz on some on the reels the switch is below the line guide and some of them u just have to unscrew
Old 06-29-08, 03:52 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Buzzie, the brakes on the pfluegers (not the ones with dual brakes) are centrifugal. As are shimanos. The daiwa reels on the other hand have magnetic brakes (the dial on the side.)

By the way, you are always supposed to have centrigual brakes set symmetrically. not just one. You can also have three if you set them in a triangle shape.

BB
Old 06-29-08, 05:11 PM   #4
Buzz Wing

Big,

I do that, but I still can't seem to get any distance. I think I might save up money from working with my dad and buy either the TD SOL or the new Abu Garcia Winch.

Old 06-29-08, 05:37 PM   #5
weaverml34
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Wing View Post
Big,

I do that, but I still can't seem to get any distance. I think I might save up money from working with my dad and buy either the TD SOL or the new Abu Garcia Winch.

That should solve all of your problems.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08, 06:29 PM   #6
Bender

How loose do you have the spool tension knob? I have a 200DSV Citica on a MH Fenwick TechnaAV and can cast a 3/4 oz. War Eagle spinnerbait farther than any of my other combos. Not sure how far it goes, but it is plenty far even when in search mode looking for stuff on the bottom. I think I have 2 brakes on and 4 off and set the spool knob just under the point of overrunning at the beginning of the cast.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08, 06:30 PM   #7
vagabond

35 yards is ok. I've been fishing more bass this year than the rest of my life combined and most of the fish I've been catching this year are 15 yards or closer. I'd rather put it right where I want it than be able to cast a mile.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08, 06:33 PM   #8
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
35 yards is ok. I've been fishing more bass this year than the rest of my life combined and most of the fish I've been catching this year are 15 yards or closer. I'd rather put it right where I want it than be able to cast a mile.
Do you bank fish? Sometimes I wish I could cast farther because of my limitations from the bank. There are some spots that I know the bass are hiding up in and I am barely out of reach from the bank.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08, 06:38 PM   #9
fishin' fool

It sounds to me that your crankin stick is alittle to heavy. A medium heavy may be alright for throwing bubba cranks, but its about impossible to throw little square billed baits. I like a medium or even a medium light for the little guys, this way the rod really loads up when I cast and it launches the lure. Another little tip, when you want to make really longs cast, and not real worried about accuracy, leave about six to eight inches of line out from the tip, this will increase casting distance a few feet.
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08, 07:44 PM   #10
zooker

the one thing you have yet to tell me buzz. what line you casting with? pound test? likely it is not so much the brakes as tension control and drag..BELIVE IT. a drag sytem set tight will affect your cast..

shallow you want a decent accuate cast 30-45 yards with fairly light baits.note when fishing shallow accuracy is a must.

medium and deep cranking longer cast are the norm from the heavier crank baits.
i get a dt 10 -which is about as good a flyer as you can buy- out about 65-70 yards or 1/2 the spool..

i refuse to buy a shimano reel. -i have my reasons- but abu's,quatum mag gears,fritts reels are what gets used the most.. best distance comes from the fritts reels.. the brakes are set roughly medium, the tension is sloppy loose,drag is barely more than needed for a hook set...

zooker
Old 06-29-08, 07:47 PM   #11
zooker

Quote:
Big,

since when did garica put out a new winch??

zooker
Old 06-29-08, 08:07 PM   #12
Buzz Wing

Been out about a month now, Zook.
Old 06-29-08, 08:12 PM   #13
Buzz Wing

Ok, here's what I've found.

Setup A: 7'6'' Medium-Heavy, Fast Action; Daiwa Fuego L with 40-lb. Power Pro: Casting a SPRO Bronzeye Frog, 5/8 ounce, I averaged somewhere around 45-50 yards.

Setup B (The Bad Caster): 7' Medium-Heavy, Moderate Action; Shimano Citica 201D with 10-lb. Spiderwire Supre Mono: Casting a SPRO Bronzeye Frog, 5/8 ounce, I averaged around 30 yards before I'd backlash.

Explain that...

I mainly want to use this rod for cranking from 1-12'. Is this rod, (Setup B), too heavy for the baits I'm wantin' to fling?

Old 06-29-08, 08:20 PM   #14
mariner

Quote:
Been out about a month now, Zook.
put a link on here for it cause i sure cant find it
Old 06-29-08, 08:27 PM   #15
Buzz Wing

Go to Tackle Warehouse's website and click on "Abu Garcia" under the casting reels category.
Old 06-29-08, 08:32 PM   #16
Jim80

buzz try switching to a 12lb mono for the cranks the big braid is great for a lot of stuff but sometimes the mono just works I usually hit 45 to 50 yards on my abu and about 55 to 60 yards on my pinnacle with a bomber crank . The only other thing i could think with you still being young is how tall are you ? with a little bit of a shorter rod your casting distance might go up a bit , just a thought but it worked for my kids might work for you .
Old 06-29-08, 08:44 PM   #17
mariner

ok buzz i found it
Old 06-30-08, 12:21 AM   #18
Rebbasser

Buzz, since you are fishing a lot, when was the last time you added a little oil to your bearings on the reel? When my distance starts to decrease that is usually the culprit.
Old 06-30-08, 03:06 AM   #19
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Buzz, since you are fishing a lot, when was the last time you added a little oil to your bearings on the reel? When my distance starts to decrease that is usually the culprit.
I was about to ask the same thing. If we wish to expect 100% output from our reels and other gear, then we must also by obligation give 100% to maintain said gear to ensure maximum performance.

With those two setups, the comparison is apples to oranges. If you really want to see which reel casts farther than the other, you will have to:

1) Use the same rod
2) Use the same line on both and have them filled to optimum capacity
3) Use the same lure.

30 yards is not too shabby for tossing a crankbait, even a DT type for a Citica. Perhaps some minor maintennce will be help eke out say another 10 yds.

Also, keep in mind:

a) A reel's castibility diminishes when its spool is not filled to capacity.

b) Lures, even if the weigh the same will usually not yield the same casting distances. The lure's aerodynamics greatly influence how far the cast will go. For example, a 5" senko which weighs 3/8 oz all by itself (yes, it's that heavy), will probably be cast farther than a 3/8 oz spinnerbait.

c) Lines with thinner diameters also cast farther. I believe the 10# Spideewire Super mono you are using, while it is an excellent mono, IMHO opinion is probably on the thicker side of 10# monos. If your cover allows it, you might want to try something like Stren's Magna Thin or 10-12# SeaGuar Invisx FC line. This should get you to a thinner diameter and that should enhance your casting distance.

So the next time you're out buying line, take a look at the line diamters on of the lines. If the makers are telling the truth, you will see that even the lines of the same strength will very in their diameters.

-ib
Old 06-30-08, 10:59 AM   #20
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
buzz try switching to a 12lb mono for the cranks the big braid is great for a lot of stuff but sometimes the mono just works I usually hit 45 to 50 yards on my abu and about 55 to 60 yards on my pinnacle with a bomber crank . The only other thing i could think with you still being young is how tall are you ? with a little bit of a shorter rod your casting distance might go up a bit , just a thought but it worked for my kids might work for you .
Actually shorter rods are better for accuracy, while longer rods help you get more distance. Buzzie, your 7'6" with 30lb braid (8lb dia) will cast farther because one: the rod is longer and two: the line is thinner than your other test subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
I was about to ask the same thing. If we wish to expect 100% output from our reels and other gear, then we must also by obligation give 100% to maintain said gear to ensure maximum performance.

With those two setups, the comparison is apples to oranges. If you really want to see which reel casts farther than the other, you will have to:

1) Use the same rod
2) Use the same line on both and have them filled to optimum capacity
3) Use the same lure.

30 yards is not too shabby for tossing a crankbait, even a DT type for a Citica. Perhaps some minor maintennce will be help eke out say another 10 yds.

Also, keep in mind:

a) A reel's castibility diminishes when its spool is not filled to capacity.

b) Lures, even if the weigh the same will usually not yield the same casting distances. The lure's aerodynamics greatly influence how far the cast will go. For example, a 5" senko which weighs 3/8 oz all by itself (yes, it's that heavy), will probably be cast farther than a 3/8 oz spinnerbait.

c) Lines with thinner diameters also cast farther. I believe the 10# Spideewire Super mono you are using, while it is an excellent mono, IMHO opinion is probably on the thicker side of 10# monos. If your cover allows it, you might want to try something like Stren's Magna Thin or 10-12# SeaGuar Invisx FC line. This should get you to a thinner diameter and that should enhance your casting distance.

So the next time you're out buying line, take a look at the line diamters on of the lines. If the makers are telling the truth, you will see that even the lines of the same strength will very in their diameters.

-ib
Good idea, get the two reels you want to test, put some cheap 8lb mono on them both. I'd sugggest cabela's mono on the big spools as it can be used for backing later. Then put one of rod A and tie on a lure. Cast, measure distance. Then put the other reel on rod A and tie on same lure. Cast, an measure distance.

also as ib said, B) some baits are more aerodynamic than other. Which can you cast farther: a 1/2oz spoon or a 1/2oz spinnerbait. spinnerbaits not very aerodynamic while spoons are. C) you could also use 10lb braid, although some say braid is not good for cranking. I've been using Stren Super Knot in 8lb test lately and love it. I'll be getting me more of that line.

BB
Old 06-30-08, 12:51 PM   #21
Raul

Quote:
Ok, here's what I've found.

Setup A: 7'6'' Medium-Heavy, Fast Action; Daiwa Fuego L with 40-lb. Power Pro: Casting a SPRO Bronzeye Frog, 5/8 ounce, I averaged somewhere around 45-50 yards.

Setup B (The Bad Caster): 7' Medium-Heavy, Moderate Action; Shimano Citica 201D with 10-lb. Spiderwire Supre Mono: Casting a SPRO Bronzeye Frog, 5/8 ounce, I averaged around 30 yards before I'd backlash.

Explain that...

I mainly want to use this rod for cranking from 1-12'. Is this rod, (Setup B), too heavy for the baits I'm wantin' to fling?

6 inch longer rod, fast action, 40 lb braid vs 6 inches less, moderate action and completely different line material ( braided vs nylon ). Can´t make a comparison when you have so many differences in the setup.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 03:22 PM   #22
Lilmoosecountry

Back Lash should'nt occur with the brake off if you know how to thumb a spool properly. The best way to learn casting this way. Is find a ol winch like a JC Higgens reel. Put some braid on it then Practice, Practice!!! This is what's wrong with these new fangled sissies these days. They don't know how to act with out there modern reels. Go fish with a reel like that for a month. It'll make a man out of yeahh. This is how i mastered feathoring a spool. Touch is every thing. You can find these old reels at garage sales,antique stores pretty cheap. There is no room for error with these things. But you'll improve your casting skills drastically.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 03:51 PM   #23
Buzz Wing

Thanks guys, but I'm starting to feel like the rod is too heavy power as well. I was thinking about a new setup for small cranks and topwaters, like the CBR783C from G Loomis. It's six inches shorter than my current rod, and is a Medium power instead of Medium-Heavy. With most of the cranks I fish, 1/4-1/2 ounce, my rod is just a bit too heavy, so this would be perfect.

Would reels, baitcasting, do you guys like for casting small 1.8 ounce plus lures?

Old 06-30-08, 03:55 PM   #24
Jim80

honestly buzz i chuck almost everything from an abu ambassuduer , and a pinnacle lp100
they both do well with around a 1/4 oz .
Old 06-30-08, 04:03 PM   #25
Buzz Wing

Oh...

When a bait labels a crankbait or spinnerbait "1/4 Ounce", does that include hooks, clip ring, etc?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.