Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-09, 09:54 PM   #1
bassackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Talking look twice at walmart

went to walmart just to get out of the house
started looken at fishing stuf you know how it is got a few spiners and other stuf then said to myself , self i need a new spinen rod and reel so i looked did not want to spend to mutch (the wife was with me) i was looken at reels and saw the pflueger president it said 23.86 so i got one the lady rang it up it said 59.98 so i told her what the price said we went and looked and they had to give it to me at that price 23.86 she said if theres two or more on the rack they have to stand by the price marked even if its wrong so just keep your eyes open when you go there
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-09, 09:56 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

that is great to hear man. that is a good reel too. gonna have to make a trip to ol wally world now, lol.
Old 02-22-09, 10:19 PM   #3
BassBandit

I don't know about "your" walmart but I will NEVER, EVER buy a reel from walmart. Bad quality coming from walmart, IMO. About 80% or least of products sold in walmart were imported from China. I'll pass.
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-09, 10:54 PM   #4
MrPhotographer06
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

haha.. yeah.. true.. but if your ever in a bind.. then it works great for a quick fix..
Old 02-22-09, 11:00 PM   #5
Tennessee

Default Just my opinion

Wally world has a great selection for the not so deep pockets...as for the reels being bad I own 4 reels from wally world and I haven't had but one go bad..and that reel was used hard for almost a year and they took it back gave me credit and I bought a upgraded Quantum..

Later Will
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-09, 11:07 PM   #6
bamabassman

got 6 reels from wally world, only 1 gave me trouble. got credit and a newer reel as well.
Old 02-22-09, 11:08 PM   #7
MrPhotographer06

thats how i'm gunna stock the boat with reels...
Old 02-22-09, 11:13 PM   #8
bassackwards

iv never had a prod with them for the price
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-09, 11:31 PM   #9
BassBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
got 6 reels from wally world, only 1 gave me trouble..
You serious? Do think you are though.
Old 02-23-09, 01:53 AM   #10
Nitro 640

Just like buying from any other store. The ones buy me are kinda small compared to the super ones I've been to, but I have been getting some soft bait here and there 50% off.
Nitro 640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 07:51 AM   #11
WTL

I actually take a bigger chance and sometimes buy tackle from ebay. I have to get everything cheap, which means there will be an element to chance that something could be a lemon. For the most part I have done better though.

At least if you do get a lemon, it was a lemon at an everyday low price I guess.
Old 02-23-09, 10:57 AM   #12
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBandit View Post
I don't know about "your" walmart but I will NEVER, EVER buy a reel from walmart. Bad quality coming from walmart, IMO. About 80% or least of products sold in walmart were imported from China. I'll pass.
Take a look at the product lines in all mass merchandisers including drug stores, $1 stores, etc. Nearly everything is imported and mostly from China. If you don't put in on your body as a cream, lotion, gel, or ingest it, it's more then likely imported.

Now if you're inferring that they're buying 2nds at a discounted price, that's news to me. They already force the importer/distributor to sell at a rock bottom price, or they just don't buy from them.
Old 02-23-09, 11:30 AM   #13
Bob Smith

As far as buying new reels, I seldom do anymore. I have been lucky to live close to some premium rod and reel repair places for the last 18 years (Southwest Parts and Service, Irving, TX. and Nutter's Rod and Reel Repair, White, GA). I usually find premium reels that have been repaired or restored on sale at a fraction of the new reel price.
Now when it comes to Wally World, if it a brand name product then it is the same product regardless of where you buy it. If you get a better price at Wally World then more power to ya!
Old 02-23-09, 11:46 AM   #14
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBandit View Post
Guess what other than a few items. Everthing that wally world has BPS has also.
Old 02-23-09, 03:11 PM   #15
aikenyounggun

yeah i got three bionixs from walmart last year for 20 bucks.... havent had an issue with them yet.... they are a rod made by berkeley if you guys didnt know
Old 02-23-09, 06:16 PM   #16
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
As far as buying new reels, I seldom do anymore. I have been lucky to live close to some premium rod and reel repair places for the last 18 years (Southwest Parts and Service, Irving, TX. and Nutter's Rod and Reel Repair, White, GA). I usually find premium reels that have been repaired or restored on sale at a fraction of the new reel price.
Now when it comes to Wally World, if it a brand name product then it is the same product regardless of where you buy it. If you get a better price at Wally World then more power to ya!
Bob , I like ya and all...BUT , I used to own a car audio business , and I sold Pioneer as an authorized dealer. I had to sell their products at a set price called a MAP price. I told them walmart didnt sell pioneer cd players at that price , and the rep said look at the model # , it will be differant. Apparantly wally world doesnt want to sell at the map price , so pioneer made them a model they could sell for a cheaper price. And yes it lacked alot of features , but most people wouldnt notice the features it was lacking anyway.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 10:17 PM   #17
bamabassman

bassbandit, yes i am serious. each and every one of my reels came from wally world. i have 2 old ones. the FIRST mag force reel abu garcia cam out with, and the second generation as well. have 2 pro max's, one silver max, one pinnacle finesse. all bait casters. the other reel i have from wally world is an abu garcia open face. have one other open face reel i got at the huntsvlle boat show. i ain't able to buy the revos...YET. i plan on getting them, one at a time. but i am happy with these reels.
Old 02-23-09, 11:16 PM   #18
The Doc

I got a Spro frog from Wal mart for $4. I had a Quantum BC reel from walmart I used for over 2 years before the dang things gears stripped out. I can find decent stuff at walmart for ok prices. They sell Sufix and PowerPro line, Strike King lures, Bomber cb's, for about a buck cheaper than BPS
Old 02-23-09, 11:21 PM   #19
bassinbob

Funny, do you remember when they were selling the curado's for cheap? I got 4 of them, two for the low price of $25.00. I've had them for 3 or 4 years now and not a problem with any of them.
Old 02-23-09, 11:22 PM   #20
bamabassman

they have the more expensive reels too now. well, here they do. and most ALL my lures come from there.
Old 02-24-09, 11:12 AM   #21
jcw1503

now if walmart started making fishing reels, that would be a different story, but when you buy the brand name stuff, then its the same as bps and other places....I bought an abu garcia rod and reel combo for 63 dollars, at bps the reel along is 59.99. THe exact same reel but i got a 40 dollar rod for 3 dollars....Walmart can sell cheaper beacuse they buy in bulk and they have a big sway in the retail business...just my 2 cents...
Old 02-24-09, 02:31 PM   #22
MrPhotographer06

walmart has the rhino series now..
Old 02-24-09, 02:58 PM   #23
lowrider

you won't find the same model # abu reels at wal-mart as you do in bass pro. NOT the same quality reels at all. cmorg hit it on the head with his explanation.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-09, 02:59 PM   #24
jcw1503

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh...no...the same model number at bps i got at walmart....
Old 02-24-09, 03:34 PM   #25
BassBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Now if you're inferring that they're buying 2nds at a discounted price, that's news to me. They already force the importer/distributor to sell at a rock bottom price, or they just don't buy from them.
Joel, CMorg and lowrider said it better in their post. Guess I should have explain my reason in previous post. Here goes.

In the past I've bought 2 reels from WalMart. If my recollection serve me correct it was Quantum Accurist. When I took it home and discovered that the quality was in poor grade. Wasn't pleased with the reels. Closer inspection I found there was 1 or 2 additional letters at the end of model digits unlike the one you buy from pro tackle shops. I returned them and bought the same brand from BPS and was pleased with it. Walmart does not buy from the same manfacuter in China as BPS or Cabelas. It black market.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.