Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 01-08-10, 03:25 AM   #1
MO3N
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Rods For Christmas. (what to use them for?)

For Christmas i got two rod and reel setups. i wanted to check what you guys think i should use them for, and what line to spool on them.

first is a 6'6" fenwick HMG graphite Medium Heavy power and the tip is not listed but i would say moderately fast to fast tip. the number is GT66MH. and an Abu Garcia Revo SX 6.4:1. my plan was to use this for kind of an all around rod but mustly senko's or shallow cranks or even spinnerbaits.

second is a 7' ST Croix Medium Heavy with a fast tip. The model is AVC70MHF. I would use a shimano curado in 7:1 gear ratio. My plan was to use this one for frogs and jigs.

These are my fist casting rods. I decided to switch from spinning reels. So all slots are open. In the long run i would like to get two or three more casting setups and upgrade my spinning set up for drop shoting.

Thanks for all the help.
MO3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 08:15 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3N View Post
For Christmas i got two rod and reel setups. i wanted to check what you guys think i should use them for, and what line to spool on them.

first is a 6'6" fenwick HMG graphite Medium Heavy power and the tip is not listed but i would say moderately fast to fast tip. the number is GT66MH. and an Abu Garcia Revo SX 6.4:1. my plan was to use this for kind of an all around rod but mustly senko's or shallow cranks or even spinnerbaits.

second is a 7' ST Croix Medium Heavy with a fast tip. The model is AVC70MHF. I would use a shimano curado in 7:1 gear ratio. My plan was to use this one for frogs and jigs.

These are my fist casting rods. I decided to switch from spinning reels. So all slots are open. In the long run i would like to get two or three more casting setups and upgrade my spinning set up for drop shoting.

Thanks for all the help.
Those are some sweet setups. And you usage plan sounds good to me. Maybe later on, a 7 foot heavy rod with a fast tip would become my frog rod. Sounds like you had a great christmas!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 09:13 AM   #3
Bassboss

Quote:

first is a 6'6" fenwick HMG graphite Medium Heavy power and the tip is not listed but i would say moderately fast to fast tip. the number is GT66MH. and an Abu Garcia Revo SX 6.4:1. my plan was to use this for kind of an all around rod but mostly senko's or shallow cranks or even spinnerbaits.

Thanks for all the help.
Ya, sounds really good.

For the fenwick Garcia combo, I'd put on 15lb mono trilene XT to start. Than once you get better, I'd spool it up with some 10lb P-line CXX mono, it has the breaking strength of about 17 pounds, and it's low stretch and sensitive, so you'll be able to feel the bites with the senkos better.

On the Curado Croix set up. I'd put on 17lb Trilene XT. But once you get better, you HAVE to switch to 30lb braid.

Reason being is mono is pretty stretchy, and not very sensitive. So you'll be at a disadvantaged using frogs and jigs with mono.

So once you get go with that, switch to 30lb sufix braid, or if that's to expensive, than get Power Pro.

Hope this helps you out some!
Old 01-08-10, 02:54 PM   #4
MO3N

Thanks for the help. Now I just need to get some practice casts in before spring comes around. About 8 years ago I used some of my dads old steelhead baitcasters but only for about 3 casts so I need some practice.
Old 01-08-10, 04:05 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Congrats on the new rods, sounds like a good Christmas. It sounds like you are on the right track as far as what to do with each rod. The 7'mh is a little light for a jig in my opinion but if that's what you have then that's what you are going to use. Alot of people get by with a MH rod for jigs but heavy power rods are pretty much the norm.
Old 01-08-10, 05:47 PM   #6
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

The HMGs tend to run a little conservative on their power ratings. The MH you got is closer to a heavy than most MHs are.
I picked up 2 7'ers in MH. I'm gonna use one for frogs and 1 for spinnerbaits.
Sounds like you're gonna have a couple sweet set-ups
Old 01-08-10, 06:02 PM   #7
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Don't listen to anyone else, those combo's are terrible. I will PM you my address so that I can destroy them for you.

I think both combos are farily general purpose. To me, your cover will determine what they can be used for just as much as the rating.
Old 01-08-10, 08:27 PM   #8
BeaverIslander

I was thinking the same thing as cassidya, fairly general purpose rods. A good place to start fishing with baitcasting tackle.

I actually have the same combo, the Avid/Curado. I use it as my spinnerbait setup for baits 3/8 oz and up, which are pretty much my go-to lures. It has 17 lb Suffix Elite mono on it because I want the stretch to allow fish to engulf the bait. If I were to use the rod for jigs and frogs, I would use 30 lb braid on it.
Ideally, it is a little light for jigs if you're fishing heavy cover, but it's a very solid multi purpose rod for jigs and worms, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, chatterbaits, heavy cranks, etc around light to moderate cover. If you're going to be fishing frogs with it, just dabble around the edges of cover and you'll be fine. Don't go tossing the frog as far as you can into the slop as you would with a 7-8' heavy action frogging rod.

Congrats on the nice gifts and good luck.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-10, 02:28 PM   #9
MO3N

Thanks for the help. Ill just kinda use them for awhile and see were they fit into my fishing style and then buy other rods to fill in the holes. But sounds like i was pretty close with the st croix being frog/topwater type setup. and the HMG for basically anything else.

Thanks again
Old 02-06-10, 06:36 PM   #10
Backwater Charlie

Quote:

Thanks for all the help.
Your Fenwick/ABU combo is about as good of an "all-around" combo as you could get. It would be an awesome jig, plastic worm, & spinnerbait rod/reel combo.

The St. Croix/Shimano combo would be a great combo to use for buzzbaits.
Old 02-06-10, 11:43 PM   #11
MN Bass Man
BassFishin.Com Member

You must have been a very good boy last year!! Wow, I'm jealous.
MN Bass Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.