Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-10, 04:25 AM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Lamiglas Excel Rods – First Impressions

First, let me tell you that I am a Lamiglas fan, but in all honesty, the Excel series didn’t even make a blip on my “Must have it,” radar, nor did it stoke in me the desire to check them out. My initial guess about them was that they might be a series that was probably nothing more than their venerable Competitor series of rods that sported a split grip.

I saw it as Lami’s answer to the $100 price point rods that other makers have done, like the Mojos. You know, just Ho-hum... Whatever...

I attended a local sportsman’s show yesterday and upon visiting the Lamiglas booth, decided to check to see if they had any Excel models on the racks. I wanted to confirm or dispel my preconceived notions on this line of rods.

Fortunately, they had a few models on the rack. But before I even picked one up, I spoke with their rep and ran him through the 20 questions ringer about the blank and the components. The rep mentioned that the blanks in the Excel line were identical to those used in the Certified Pro rods (I hope he wasn’t blowing smoke up my sit down part). Off that bat and out the shoot, that is very impressive. I have a Certified Pro rod in my arsenal and I can say that it is NOT a fair fight for the fish. You can feel the fish burp and fart with a Certified Pro rod.

Because the Certified Pro rods start at about $180.00 and sport Fuji Alconite guides, I suspected that the $100 price point of the Excel rods is probably reached by using a cheaper (cost, not quality) set of guides. The Excel rods possess American Tackle’s Halide guides. I don’t know anything about these guides, but I would like to see and hope that they would be at least on par with Fuji Aluminum Oxide guides or better yet, their Hardloys.

So far, so good, but it wouldn’t be worth a grain of salt if these rods felt terrible in hand. I took a short breath and while on the rack, I turned the blank around to read the specs: XL734C - 8-20 lb, ¼ - ¾ oz. Translated from Lamiglas speak, this means the rod is in the Excel (XL) line, 7’3” in length and is a casting rod (the C) and is a 4 power (medium in the line up) rod.

Given its 7’ plus length and split grip, I presumed that the rod might be more tip heavy than necessary. I was pleasantly surprised that it was not. The rod instantly felt at home in my hand. It didn’t feel heavy in hand either. If this could be judged in terms of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, I’d have to give it the Baby Bear rating of, “Just right.” No… Right on!!!!

Grabbing the MH 7’3” rod yielded the same feel and much to my delight, the spinning rods also felt fantastic.

I was a bit blown away that such a good feel could come from rods at the $100 price point. The only thing that I would have loved to see is how they would fare on the water.

Ironically, despite living only 2 hours from Lamiglas’ HQ, I’d have to actually special order one from local vendors if I wanted one, since no local vendor is going to carry this series of rods.

These are the models that I held in hand:

XL734C, Line Weight: 8-20 lbs. Jigs, Senkos, Small Swimbaits and Carolina-Rigs.

XL735C, Line Weight: 12-25 lbs. Frogs and Small Swimbaits.

XL703S, Line Weight: 6-12 lbs. Drop Shot, Shaky Heads, Tubes & Gitzits.

In conclusion, I can say that the Excel series left a great first impression. I believe Lamiglas really hit it out of the park in terms of value and performance at this price point. I believe that they are also made here in the good US of A. Now that’s practically unheard of today. Wow.

No, I haven’t fished with the Excel rods, BUT I know full well the excellent traits Certified Pro rods possess in feel and sensitivity. I would feel very comfortable recommending an Excel rod as an excellent candidate to a budget minded angler. Getting the rod of Certified Pro performance for about $100 is a steal of a deal any time.

Anyway, just my two cents. I just had to tell everyone because I couldn’t contain my first impressions.

-ib
Old 01-31-10, 04:38 AM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Thanks for the descriptive read IB. I have never had a Lamiglas rod, but like you said, buyer beware, because all the high range boys are spitting out the $100 rods because not many people have been able to throw down $3-400 on just 1 rod. Word of mouth helps out though when we are looking.
Old 01-31-10, 04:53 AM   #3
islandbass

Yeah, I hear you, Bubba. The part that blows my mind is that the Excel is a Cetified Pro rod with Halide guides instead of Alconites (which Cert Pros have) and a split grip. I can't say enough how excellent the Certified Pro series is. I get the impression people's perception of Lamiglas rods is, "Oh, Skeet Reese's former sponsor." Lamiglas rods are understated or is it underrated, or both.
Old 01-31-10, 05:02 AM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Lamiglas was around a lot longer before Skeet Reese was. I doubt they will say the same thing about Diawa loosing Ike. It just isn't a big marketed name, but they have been there a while, 54 years. And favor more to the elite, and elite wallets hahahaha.
Old 01-31-10, 10:37 AM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Thanks for the first impressions IB. I never really gave them much interest because Lamiglass is known for making heavy rods. the other reason is because like you, I can't just run to a tackle shop and pick one up, I'd have to order it online.

BB
Old 01-31-10, 02:30 PM   #6
WTL

Thanks for the post IB. I might be getting a new rod within the not too distant future, and the $100 range is about where I would look.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 03:17 PM   #7
Bassboss

Cool they sound like nice sticks. I heard someone on tackle tour say he was disappointed with them. Maybe just a lemon.

I'll have to check 'em out if I see any of them at gander or something like that.. I just wonder how they compare to the Vendetta and Tessera rods (skeet reese rods).
Old 01-31-10, 04:13 PM   #8
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Good write-up ib. I know nothing about Lamiglas rods.
Nice to be able to file that away.
Old 01-31-10, 10:49 PM   #9
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Cool they sound like nice sticks. I heard someone on tackle tour say he was disappointed with them. Maybe just a lemon.

I'll have to check 'em out if I see any of them at gander or something like that.. I just wonder how they compare to the Vendetta and Tessera rods (skeet reese rods).
BB,

I can't comment on the Tesseras, but I can tell you, hands down, it's not a fair fight. The Vendetta is good and feels good in my hand, but the Excel felt even better.

I am only giving a feel basis diagnosis here, but it is also not a fair comparison because these rods are not at the same price point. It would be like asking which is better, a syncopare spinning reel or a stradic. It just isn't a fair to compare those two. This is no rip against Abu G. I happen to be a good fan of their products too.
Old 02-05-10, 12:03 PM   #10
NTW
BassFishin.Com Member

As part of my search for a pitchin rod, I called a well represented online retailer and asked for a recommendation. I told him that my price range was $150 or less and he responded by saying Lamiglass Excel. He said that line of rods is an incredible value.

I have done some searching online and am very impressed in the company's reputation. Like mentioned earlier, made in the U.S. by a company with a long history of quality.

I don't own one yet but will be ordering the 7' 11" before the ice is off.

For what it is worth, the guy I was talking to said he has used many higher priced rods that he was less impressed with. He compared these to carrot stix e21 and shimano cumaras.
Old 02-05-10, 01:23 PM   #11
WaffleJaw

Nice post IB.
The American Tackle Halide guides are in fact an aluminum oxide material.They should be more than good guides to use.
Old 02-05-10, 10:18 PM   #12
Jrob78

Quote:
The American Tackle Halide guides are in fact an aluminum oxide material.They should be more than good guides to use.
I've got a Team All Star rod that has aluminum oxide guides, I use braid on that rod and have had no problems whatsoever.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.