Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-10, 11:50 AM   #1
muddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Question for Nofear

Hey : Good post on the spiral wrap. I have one, a gift from a rod building friend , I like it, it keeps the line away from the blank when cranking, that said, I agree with your post

If you have time : Can you apply physics to see if with a
STANDARD 8 inch ( lets say Jelly) Worm
That an old school offset worm hook or a EWG hook is more efficient?

I went back to the old off sets, I want to know if I just am confident from using them of if in fact they have a better angle to hook up, through a worm
Thanks
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 12:41 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thanks for the comment.

Hmmm...I'll have to give this one some thought, but I have all weekend of no fishing and no playing with my fishfinder (another reason to hate snow....it delays even UPS) to think about it.

Good idea.
Old 02-12-10, 12:49 PM   #3
muddy

Thanks, what I am trying to understand< I have it in my head, with no proff mind you, that the old school offsets have a better hooking angle as the narrower gap might allow. I hope that does not sound too goffy. We are frozen solid here also, with another foot or snow coming Mon to Tues. I am off to Brooklyn will be on later tonight or tomorrow, Thanks for considering this
Old 02-12-10, 01:04 PM   #4
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

On a conventional round bend hook, the point is not in line with the eye, but the point on an EWG hook is. I've heard (no science here, just word-of-mouth) that the hook point being out of line with the eye will/has/should give a better chance of a solid hookset. On the flip side, and probably the reason EWG's are designed the way they are, if your bait is big and bulky, it might ball up in the gap on a conventional hook, and the point won't penetrate. The EWG's have a lot more space between the point and the shank (shaft? Whatever the terminology is) to allow room for the bulkier lures.
Old 02-12-10, 03:58 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Nofear, while you're sitting applying physics to fish hook and not playing with your fish finder, why don't you add regular straight shank hooks in there too, like the ones they use for flipping (like the BMF hook).

BB
Old 02-12-10, 07:37 PM   #6
JB

I've heard more than one pro talk about using a straight shank hook for better hooksets than a offset or an old Aberdeen hook.I have always used the Gammy offset for bigger worms and used to use straight hooks when I fished the four inch worm.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 08:23 PM   #7
muddy

Hey , not to insult here, I don't trust Pros. other than winning they make their money as corporate shills.You know: Megastrike,Power Bait, Red Hooks because the fish can see them, Red line, because the fish cant see it.Sexy Shad, Because a pro called a shad colored bait sexy, now the will soon have sexy shad sun glasses. Nope I cant trust walking bill boards.
Old 02-13-10, 06:03 PM   #8
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

There is a specific reason for using the straight shank with a snell knot over an offset with a palomar. Especially when flipping grass mats. And it was based on physics but not being a engineer I looked at it and continued doing the way I've been doing it.

So does it make that big of a difference? Is it worth making a change?
Old 02-13-10, 08:46 PM   #9
muddy

I found when fishing plastic worms in coon tail and milfoil, the EWG , picked up a lot of these weeds as well as snot weed, the Old School offsets didnt so i went back to them. If I am fishing Hollow Swim Bait type mnnows of Plastic hard frogs than EWG is the way to go. I have noticed more and better hooksup with the offset type on regular plastic worms.
Old 02-13-10, 08:59 PM   #10
Kevin
Administrator

I have found quite significant differences in hookups between straight shank flipping hooks and EWG Superline-type hooks.

The most noticeable difference is how many more "roof-of-the-mouth" hookups you get with straight shank hooks. With EWG's, you can hook the fish's mouth in many different areas and angles... but more often than not, with a straight-shank flipping hook, it is going to be a roof-of-the-mouth hooking.

For most smaller plastics or worms, I almost always use EWG Offsets. With any kind of flipping plastic bait, I will try to use a straight-shank flipping hook (I like the Punch Hook) if at all possible, for the better hookups.

As to 3dkicker's mention of snelling straight-shanks... it does make the hook rotate upward when under a strong pull. You can test this by grasping the tied on hook in your hand as if it were a fish's mouth and pulling on it. You'll see what happens as compared to a hook tied with a Palomar.

That being said, I've experimented with snelling flipping hooks and saw no advantage of any noticeable amount... and have gone back to my most-trusted Palomar knot. I use the Palomar for absolutely everything.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 11:05 PM   #11
dave

If you use EWG's, take plyers and twist the point out of alignment with the line tie.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-10, 10:36 AM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Great info Kevin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
If you use EWG's, take plyers and twist the point out of alignment with the line tie.
While this is supposed to help your hook up ratio, I've found a few problems with it that makes stick with unbent EWGs.

First, bending the hook like this weakens it. Now it may not be as big of a deal with a "superline" EWG, but I rarely use those in favor of the regular wire hooks.

So, with bending them myself out of the question, I picked up a pack of Youvella OWG hooks. (Offset Wide Gap, it's an EWG with the offset point.) Anyways, I fished them for a few weeks this summer with weightless t-rigged senkos, normal t-rigs, and a small bit of pitching chigger craws.

While I did notice a slight increase in hook ups, my one complaint (aside from them not being as sharp as Gammys or Owners) was line twist. I reel my bait in and watch it just spin around and around. It was really bad with the senkos.

I've since gone back to Gammys and Owners.

BB
Old 02-14-10, 12:14 PM   #13
muddy

Thanks to all thats a whole lot of input

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.