Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-10, 10:51 AM   #26
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac View Post
My two girls only know 2 pro's....."Ike, the guy that screams when he catches a big fish"....and "that guy with the pink boat" lol.
Don't forget Byron Velvick!
Old 02-25-10, 11:01 AM   #27
basstastic
BassFishin.Com Member

I like to watch Ike. He is a spaz and entertaining to me. I loved the fact that in the classic when he caught that 6.5lb bass he yelled at the bass then proceeded to chew on the fish's face before putting it in the livewell.
basstastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 11:14 AM   #28
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It's hard not to root for a guy that shows genuine excitement for his sport, he lives and dies with fishing. He definitely goes over board sometimes but you can't say he isn't passionate. With Ike, you know he isn't just out there to cash a paycheck. It's his fire and determination that make him so good. To me, anyone with that kind of passion and love for fishing can't be bad for the sport. He isn't my favorite pro angler but he is up at the top.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 11:28 AM   #29
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Frankly, I found myself actually rooting for him a little at this Classic. It's amazing what behaving yourself and acting like a professional can do for a guy. I didn't like the camera head butt, but a few fist pumps and what not is certainly acceptable and expected. He probably did less than what I would have done for a 6.5 lb'er.

Oh yeah, and also shaving off your ridiculous "look at me! I can grow facial hair!" nanny-goat beard helps.

Lol definitely!
Old 02-25-10, 12:09 PM   #30
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

He is like the Billy Madison of the fishing world. But he was smoothed and polished for this year's Classic. Maybe it was that big Abu patch across his back. Who knows, the man is a money making machine on the marketing side of the fence too. I think he finished college with a marketing degree and it has helped further his career. His antics could be for show, but it is hard to be that way all the time so I am going with raw emotion. I enjoying watching the good side though, and I like laughing at the tantrum side.
Old 02-25-10, 12:16 PM   #31
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
He is like the Billy Madison of the fishing world. But he was smoothed and polished for this year's Classic. Maybe it was that big Abu patch across his back. Who knows, the man is a money making machine on the marketing side of the fence too. I think he finished college with a marketing degree and it has helped further his career. His antics could be for show, but it is hard to be that way all the time so I am going with raw emotion. I enjoying watching the good side though, and I like laughing at the tantrum side.

Happy Gilmore
Old 02-25-10, 12:58 PM   #32
BlueDaksi
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The one time I met him with my son during a fan encounter - "Hey Mike, mind if I take a picture of you with my son?", he seemed very friendly and approachable.

[IMG]http://api.ning.com/files/kD7lNjdpJqZaprUVcHD5wVtfjr6kB*s745iZA1CA7rM_/DSCF4548.JPG?width=737&height=554[/IMG]

I'm glad to see that he got rid of his "nanny-goat" beard - in this case, it appeared to be glowing. LOL!

It's hard to deny that he can fish. He can and he has staying power. I think that he has brought more positive attention to bass fishing as a sport than negative. If you are one of the folks who can't stand or are put-off by his over-the-top passionate personality, chances are, you were already involved with the sport. I think that he has attracted more people to the sport who would have otherwise not paid much attention to it.

Here's a great recent article that addresses some of this notion...

http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...s-fishing-tour

That said, I was disappointed by his seeming glorification of his rock-star like drinking and sexual exploits in the last few chapters of his book "Fishing on the Edge", that I gave to my 13 year-old-son to read have the above photo was taken. I read a couple of chapters beforehand to make sure it was appropriate and thought it to be a very empowering and motivational book about fishing and overcoming odds. I guess I should have read the entire book because he reveled in debauchery at the end of the book. Too bad. We all have our skeletons, and I guess you could credit him for his honesty, but I think that he could have taken the higher road and inspired younger anglers to better.

That
Old 02-25-10, 12:59 PM   #33
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasspider View Post
What sponsor did he loose? He is intense for real and the passion is real I think he can’t help it when it comes over him. I think most people are open minded enough to be entertained by him. I do find myself muting it when I know its coming. I wonder how many times he has fallen in the water over one of his fits? That would be a hoot to see. I took a swim this last weekend. Thank God we were docking. My son left the trolling motor dialed up and yep I did it, I stepped on the pedal with my back to the water and boom. 50 degree water gets your attention really fast…

Ranger...it was the boats fault that his fish died. It must have been the American Flag's fault to, as he broke the pole and through it overboard.

Again, I'm sure that it happens more than we know out there, but like I said before, I mostly blame ESPN. They'd rather show the bad over the good simply
for THEIR promotion, not the sport's.

I appreciate the comments fellas. Like I said, I really want to like the guy. I think he does mostly good things for fishing, and I don't mind his excitement and passion for the game. Just wish he would try to contain some of the negatives.

I hope what I saw in the Classic is where he is headed this year.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 01:07 PM   #34
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
Ranger...it was the boats fault that his fish died. It must have been the American Flag's fault to, as he broke the pole and through it overboard.

Again, I'm sure that it happens more than we know out there, but like I said before, I mostly blame ESPN. They'd rather show the bad over the good simply

I appreciate the comments fellas. Like I said, I really want to like the guy. I think he does mostly good things for fishing, and I don't mind his excitement and passion for the game. Just wish he would try to contain some of the negatives.

I can't blame ESPN. They're catering to the audience
Old 02-25-10, 01:08 PM   #35
BlueDaksi

The one time I met him with my son during a fan encounter - "Hey Mike, mind if I take a picture of you with my son?", he seemed very friendly and approachable.

I'm glad to see that he got rid of his "nanny-goat" beard - in this case, it appeared to be glowing. LOL! This was taken last year at the FLW College Bass Series tournament on the Potomac River. Mike was one of the boaters taking college students out on the water.

It's hard to deny that he can fish. He can and he has staying power. I think that he has brought more positive attention to bass fishing as a sport than negative. If you are one of the folks who can't stand or are put-off by his over-the-top passionate personality, chances are, you were already involved with the sport. I think that he has attracted more people to the sport who would have otherwise not paid much attention to it.

Here's a great recent article that addresses some of this notion...

http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...s-fishing-tour

That said, I was disappointed by his seeming glorification of his rock-star like drinking and sexual exploits in the last few chapters of his book "Fishing on the Edge", that I gave to my 13 year-old-son to read have the above photo was taken. I read a couple of chapters beforehand to make sure it was appropriate and thought it to be a very empowering and motivational book about fishing and overcoming odds. I guess I should have read the entire book because he reveled in debauchery at the end of the book. Too bad. We all have our skeletons, and I guess you could credit him for his honesty, but I think that he could have taken the higher road and inspired younger anglers to better.

That
Old 02-25-10, 01:13 PM   #36
MallenManson

Haha. Your boy seems mesmerized by that chin fur
Old 02-25-10, 01:38 PM   #37
NTW
BassFishin.Com Member

Ike is the man!
Old 02-25-10, 02:02 PM   #38
swimbaitkid

I'v gone fishing with mike and hes one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet,he is actually really quiet when you are just hanging out with him,its just when he catches fish he gets excited

(or loses them)haha
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 02:03 PM   #39
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTW View Post
Ike is the man!

Welcome to the site, NTDub
Old 02-25-10, 02:34 PM   #40
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
I can't blame ESPN. They're catering to the audience
They are catering to a certain audience that would rather see the soap opera side of fishing - not so much to the audience who is there to watch bass fishing.
Old 02-25-10, 02:38 PM   #41
MallenManson

Quote:
They are catering to a certain audience that would rather see the soap opera side of fishing - not so much to the audience who is there to watch bass fishing.

That's true, but obviously the greater population of watchers want to see the drama. Otherwise, ESPN wouldn't work so hard to get those outbursts
Old 02-25-10, 02:51 PM   #42
Jrob78

Quote:
They are catering to the part of the population that only has a passing interest in fishing. The hard core fisherman are going to watch, or not watch regardless.
Old 02-25-10, 02:52 PM   #43
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
They are catering to the part of the population that only has a passing interest in fishing. The hard core fisherman are going to watch, or not watch regardless.

Agreed. Look at the Nascar highlights that get shown. The win, and the crashes. The crashes are all some people wanna see.
Old 02-25-10, 02:57 PM   #44
Jrob78

Quote:
Agreed. Look at the Nascar highlights that get shown. The win, and the crashes. The crashes are all some people wanna see.
Yep, same with bull riding, motorcross, x-games, they show either the really crazy stunts or the really catastrophic crashes.
Old 02-25-10, 03:47 PM   #45
carolina-rig-01

Quote:

True that he lost the Ranger sponsorship but it wasn't a Ranger boat he was using when the livewell didn't work, it was a Triton. It was during the Classic back before B.A.S.S. allowed them to use their own boats for the Classic, back then they had to use Triton boats for the Classic because Triton was the official sponsor of B.A.S.S., which Skeeter is the official boat sponsor now but they are allowed to use their own boats for the Classic so it is a non issue for the most part. By the way, as it turns out the livewell didn't malfunction he just wasn't familiar with the boat and thought he had turned them on when in reality he didn't.

And I too hated the nanny goat thing he had growing on his chin, I kept expecting a bird dog to go on point and flush a covey of quail out of that thing. But he cut it off and auctioned it off for charity, and the winner was none other than Skeet Reese for $500. It's funny to me to think that Skeet Reese probably has Ikes goatee hanging from his rear view mirror.
Old 02-25-10, 03:55 PM   #46
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
True that he lost the Ranger sponsorship but it wasn't a Ranger boat he was using when the livewell didn't work, it was a Triton. It was during the Classic back before B.A.S.S. allowed them to use their own boats for the Classic, back then they had to use Triton boats for the Classic because Triton was the official sponsor of B.A.S.S., which Skeeter is the official boat sponsor now but they are allowed to use their own boats for the Classic so it is a non issue for the most part. By the way, as it turns out the livewell didn't malfunction he just wasn't familiar with the boat and thought he had turned them on when in reality he didn't.
Yes, you are correct.
Old 02-25-10, 04:08 PM   #47
nofearengineer

I think almost everybody agrees that Ike is a nice guy, who is helpful to beginners and others in general. I could even tolerate his outbursts, which may or may not have been toned down a little...we will see.

I am just concerned about the type of people he attracts to the sport. Most of the boaters I run into out on the lake are respectful, seem to follow the unwritten rules of courtesy, and are just generally pleasant.

Just close your eyes and picture a bunch bass boats full of ignorant, loud, reckless, disrespectful jet-ski types. Except for less jet-skis on the water, I can't think there's anything good down that road.

Anyways, that's the way I see it.
Old 02-25-10, 04:17 PM   #48
rodnreel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Just close your eyes and picture a bunch bass boats full of ignorant, loud, reckless, disrespectful jet-ski types. Except for less jet-skis on the water, I can't think there's anything good down that road.

Anyways, that's the way I see it.
Isn't Swindle the one who promotes that?
Old 02-25-10, 05:11 PM   #49
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnreel View Post
Hey lay off Swindle .

Nofear I agree that we don't need the lakes crowded with a bunch a idiots in bass boats, we have plenty of them in play boats already (not calling Ike and idiot). But if we start to see an incline in the number of loudmouth obnoxious jerks I don't know that we can hang all of that on one guy. I mean I see what you are saying but at the same time people still know right from wrong and if they act like that I don't think we can hold another guy responsible. If that were the case we could also thank Iaconelli if we started seeing a lot more anglers spending time with kids and doing charity work.
Old 02-25-10, 05:56 PM   #50
everettvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnreel View Post

I agree that Swindle made a very bad choice that day on the lake and I think he would agree also. However, I don't think that we would ever do anything to put someone else in danger. I come to that conclusion after hearing him talking about some boat wrecks that happened (not invovling him) and the event when he got the dq at the classic.

To be honest, I think our kids have a great group of people that they can look up to in the fishing industry!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.