Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-18-06, 09:57 PM   #51
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If you are buying a spinning reel, the most important thing is the drag. The drag must be smooth, and line should pull out smooth when the drag is set fairly tight. If you are going to buy a cheap spinning reel, just make sure the drag is smooth. if it isn't, then you might as well buy a zebco spincast, and save a little more money.
Old 01-18-06, 10:37 PM   #52
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

well, 1 i have a mitchell 300X, but its silver series and 4 bearings. any good? and no i dont pour my own plastics, i read somewhere that plastics only save mney if you make in bulk. ill check lucky craft out.
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-06, 10:38 PM   #53
crankybait

and basstech, this drag is pretty smooth. it easily wore out a 3 pound white carp in india.
Old 01-19-06, 12:20 AM   #54
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

That's what counts. I don't quite buy into the bearing business about more being better. I've still got two bait casters from the early 50's or late 40's with no bearings and they still work. not nearly as good as a modern one, but the point is, they haven't worn out either. These were used for carp fishing...and 30lb carp are a heck-of-a-lot harder on fishing gear than any bass anywhere ever thought about being, as much as I love bass fishing.
Old 01-19-06, 07:18 AM   #55
PowerBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait
well, 1 i have a mitchell 300X, but its silver series and 4 bearings. any good? and no i dont pour my own plastics, i read somewhere that plastics only save mney if you make in bulk. ill check lucky craft out.
i thought you had a avocet?

About bearings- they make it smoother. When you reel it will be glassy if it has alot of bearings. It also helps the drag i beleive too. Another thing to do if the drag isnt smooth is to back reel. Turn of the anti reverse. and reel out when the fihs fights back.
Old 01-19-06, 04:21 PM   #56
crankybait

i do have an advocaet. the mitchell advocet 300X silver series to be exact. and wait, i dont relally understand the backing thing and anti reverse... whats the point of antireverse? and how would i set the hook?
Old 01-19-06, 04:24 PM   #57
PowerBass

hold the handle. You have the mitchell avocet s2000, otherwise you just have the 300x wich is not and advocet.
Old 01-19-06, 06:57 PM   #58
crankybait

i dont no the difference in reels, your right. my bad, i was never argueing or anything. now anyways, i just checked it, its a s2000. and still, and yea ok now i think i understand wat youd mean. so reeling backwards instead of using the drag? ive got an abugarcia 103t, and so it goes back a bit too. it has good drag tho, so i thinkk itd be better because even though it backreels, so wuold the advocet
Old 01-19-06, 07:06 PM   #59
PowerBass

Either reel is fine. I personally use a Mitchell Avocet s2000 and love it. I also use a more expensive reel, the Cabelas Tournament ZX 2000 and love it more.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.