Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-25-06, 12:42 PM   #26
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

im guessing triton is the best brand? i dont really see any other kind of boats on commercials, except for mercury, but i think those are only engines
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 12:54 PM   #27
InEccess
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

All the boats are owned by Bassmasters. They are the only boats the pro's are allowed to use during the tournaments. While Yamaha may sponcer some of the anglers, they're still required to drive a Triton boat.
Old 02-25-06, 01:17 PM   #28
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

bender-Triton is one of the Classic sponsors, so all the contestants fish out of identical boats. For a long time Ranger was the Classic sponsor. After the Classic is over the tournament boats are offered to the public for sale-at least they used to be.

For most tournaments they can fish out of their own boats.
Old 02-25-06, 01:54 PM   #29
lizardsrule

OK, I saw the whole incident(at least what the coverage showed on it) I agree he's a complete idiot, and can't control his emotions. His fault for the livewell incident, so he gets mad and tears up his boat, with the flag to boot. It was definately unsportsmanlike, and should've dq'd him for the WHOLE tourney, not just the day. Like I said before, never cared for him, but I wasn't going to condenm him before I saw what happened. It was his fault for the dead/dying fish, so hit yourself in the face, that would have better for me anyways LOL. I agree, it's the stupid expsression I dislike, that any publicity is good, even if it's bad, thinking that sometimes creates these problems. I for one don't agree. Now this is the second time he's been dq'd, does anyone other than me see a pattern here OK, done with the soap box, anyone else want a turn

Lizards
Old 02-25-06, 02:15 PM   #30
WTL

BASS tried to ride this guy as their spokesman, they may have even told him to act in this way - so for me his actions still tend to say something about BASS.

I still think its good he was DQed and thats a step forward in amerliorating the situation that BASS has found itself in.

I'm still somewhat young and while I agree that Ike is a great fishermen, if I had to fish with that guy and he pulled that type of crap while I was there he'd have to swim back.
Old 02-25-06, 02:16 PM   #31
Rebbasser

I was wondering about the second DQ myself. One of the other pros said he thought Ike got DQ'd last year on purpose.
Old 02-25-06, 02:17 PM   #32
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I just think what Ike does is a bunch of BS. Theres no need for it..theres no sportsmanship in most of what he does. Get real excited, love catching every fish you catch, but act like a professional, not some psychotic loon with a fishing pole. I think he's forgotten that thats what his job is..professional fisherman. He's definitely not good for the sport as people say because I hear more people saying that they don't want any kids to be like Ike than those that say they don't mind it. You have to draw the line somewhere and all that screaming and yelling and acting a fool, thats just overboard. He's a freaking classic champion for Gods sake, he should act like it. Anyway, to me, everything he does just seems so contrived and for the camera that theres absolutely no way I can believe its "just his emotion". You think none of these other guys who catch fish have blood rushing through their veins like that when they hook a good one? Look at Rick Clunn...how did he act? Did he let out a minute long yelp and let the world know he caught a fish? No...he was excited to be blessed with the situation. Thats the way a REAL PROFESSIONAL fisherman should act.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 02:24 PM   #33
Rebbasser

Clunn said something that I agree with 100% after he caught that toad: He said the day his hands stop shaking when he catches a big fish like that is the day he stops fishing. Anybody who has ever caught a big fish knows exactly what he means. Right Lizards ?
Old 02-25-06, 04:26 PM   #34
JB

I know when I got my biggest one to date last july, for me it was a overwhelming sense of accomplishment..I wasn't fishing for money that time, so I never got the jitters to bad, however I didn't sleep for 2 days afterwards heh.....too excited reliving the catch!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 04:31 PM   #35
va_basser

Send a message via AIM to va_basser Send a message via Yahoo to va_basser

I almost puked when I caught my 10 pounder I was so excited.And stayed that way for days.I was gonna bring that up about RC,glad someone else saw that too..Iaconelli may have lost himself a sponsor or two from that little fit he threw..
Old 02-25-06, 04:52 PM   #36
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

every time i hook into a big one i get that rush......come to think of it,i get that rush with any bass.it's just bigger with a bigger fish..and yeah the shaking is awesome.

but i don't yell..lol
Old 02-25-06, 05:20 PM   #37
va_basser

Send a message via AIM to va_basser Send a message via Yahoo to va_basser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassintom
every time i hook into a big one i get that rush......come to think of it,i get that rush with any bass.it's just bigger with a bigger fish..and yeah the shaking is awesome.

but i don't yell..lol
does the music go offf in your head too??That might just be me,I'm not right anyhow
Old 02-25-06, 05:45 PM   #38
JB

I know those first couple lunker lips ya get in the spring can sure take the edge of these winter blues.
Old 02-25-06, 09:13 PM   #39
zooker

hey a good fish will make your hands shake. if it don't stop fishin. as i told lizard i only had one very bad shake last year that is when a 4+ pounder fell thru the net during a tourny. as the fish swallowed the hook he stayed on. it took me 15 mintues to get my hands to stop shaking enough to tie up a hook. not the biggest fish i have caught but the biggest rush...

zooker
Old 02-26-06, 06:15 AM   #40
1FASTLASER

Yes he is good. I will not take that from him. Beleive it or not have met him several years ago in N.J. when fishing Lake Hopatcong. He used to not be so vocal shall I say. Dont know if the tackle shop his parents had is still open or not but thats another story. Still bugs me as ya'll know by now bout what the money has done to the sport but they call that evolution.

Va Basser
Gotta agree with ya buddy

Zook
You know as well as I do he can be beaten ANY time he goes out. Even some lesser known people like some of us on the board could give him a whoopin on any given day. The only difference between him and some of OUR TALENT is he can spend 200 or so days a year on the water. There is no doubt at all in my mind that some of us given the same opportunity as him could be "Just as good"
Old 02-26-06, 09:05 AM   #41
lizardsrule

You are correct Reb

IMO, most of what Mike I does is a act. I asked a pro who I was fishing with one time if Mike ever caught a fish and wasn't yelling. He said yes everytime the cameras are turned off I also asked him if he thought Mike knew he was out of bounds when DQ'd last year. After rolling his eyes at me, he said there is no way he couldn't have know where the off limits were. So at least half of his crap is staged, I don't believe the temper tantrum was though. He just lost his composure period. And I for one can say I KNOW I wouldn't have acted that way. You can say pressure, money, whatever, but I been in a more intense point in my life than this, and lost a lot more than he did, and I didn't go out tearing up things, and cussing, well at least not cussing in front of people. It's all how you control yourself. Life has it's ups and downs for everyone. To me it tells more about a person about the downs, and how they handle it. So if Bassmaster or his sponsors want to make him the poster child, then they will get what they deserve. He is getting worse now since he thinks that he's the biggest dog on the water. Look at the histroy of many other jerks, such as TO, Ron Artest, etc... etc... They just keep thinking it's all about them. So be it, Mike is a great fisherman, just a horrible team player. Yes it's a individual sport, but not when you have sponsors, who pay the bills and Bassmaster who made him famous. Just my 2 cents, and again I say he should have been DQ'd for the WHOLE tourney, not just the day. Who's he gonna blame next time for his actions, the judges, his Mom and Dad, maybe the guy who installed the light. Well audience of course it shouldn't have broken off, it wasn't installed correctly

Lizards
Old 02-26-06, 12:10 PM   #42
KenDammit

I was just thinking this morning...how good for the sport can what he does really be if the news of his antics far, far, far overshadows what great fishing is actually going on in the classic? Thats a GOOD thing for professional fishing?
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-06, 01:25 PM   #43
Rebbasser

Good point, Ken. The first couple of days Ike's drama overshadowed the fish being caught, but I watched some of it this morning and Ike wasn't mentioned. As I watched the wind and rain pouring down all I could think of was,"That's Zooker's kind of weather !"

The thing I was wondering about was Mark May as a commentator. Mark May? Does he even know HOW to fish? Then again it might have been fun to see him, Corso and Herbstreit doing the play-by-play.
Old 02-26-06, 01:54 PM   #44
JB

may looks like a frog the morphed into a man rofl
Old 02-26-06, 03:47 PM   #45
brobrian
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
The thing I was wondering about was Mark May as a commentator. Mark May
I was wondering the same thing. They never once asked about fishing. Everything was about his Super Bowl appearance and such. He kept talking about how sore he was being out on the water for eight hours. Don't think he has a clue.
I also wondered about Jay Crawford. Haven't been watching long bass fishing long, but he just doesn't seem too comfortable.
Bro. Brian
Psalm 1:1-6
Old 02-26-06, 06:00 PM   #46
pig n jig

Call me sick, but I want to see Kim Bains in just a tee shirt out there this morning. Rebbasser, When I seen the wind and the rain, my first thought was those lucky bass turds.That is my favorite fishing weather of any other except it could have been raining a lot harder. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-06, 06:07 PM   #47
crankybait

was mark may the guy who played for the redskins? jeez, all he did was talk about his aches or comparisons to the redskins
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-06, 06:25 PM   #48
IL.bassin36

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDammit
I was just thinking this morning...how good for the sport can what he does really be if the news of his antics far, far, far overshadows what great fishing is actually going on in the classic? Thats a GOOD thing for professional fishing?
It has nothing to do with the sport it has to do with ratings. When ESPN took over it's all about the ratings. Every sport needs it's badboys. Tony Stewart, Ron Artest, T.O. even pro wrestling has bad boys and it's all scripted* Fact is those personalities draw attention to the sport so people watch.

And honestly they've always been there. Roland Martin is known as a jerk. They say Hank Parker was a handful in his day.

Another thing, and this is just my opinion, FLW was/is well on it's way to catching BASS. As cleancut and wholsome as FLW and Wal-Mart is making their series, maype ESPN thought they would shake things up a bit in hopes to elevate their organization over the other.
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-06, 09:53 PM   #49
Jackl

Default JackL

BENDER,
Triton furnishes the boats for the B.A.S.S. tournaments so that there is no unfair advantage taken by individuals "Hopping up" thier boats to run faster. Ranger used to furnish the boats for all B.A.S.S. tournaments, but after Ray Scott sold out to E.S.P.N. Triton boats got the contract. I think that was a Chicken S..t deal, because Forrest Wood and Ranger boats helped make B.A.S.S. what it is today.

JackL
Old 02-26-06, 10:06 PM   #50
Fish2win

This was one of the best things that I have seen the BASS do since ESPN bought them. I had recently taken a mental poll on who were the biggest fans of Ike. I turns out they are young fishermen for the most part. He has become the champion of the teenage fishing fan. When you set yourself up as he has you have an obligation to your fans. His actions were and have been the worst example that anyone could make for a young person. Public profanity,temper tandrems and detructive actions are not acceptable behavior.He either needs to grow up and clean up his act or ship out.
To show you how things have changed, I know a man who fishes the BASS and FLW. He is a gifted fisherman. When he was very young he went on the BASS trail. One day he came off the lake drunk during a practice day. Ray Scott saw him ,saw the empty cans and his actions and bared him from the BASS for years. A few years ago he made ammends and was accepted back. He told me that Ray Scott stated to him that his behavior was not acceptable for a touring pro of the BASS and that it would not be tolerated.
Ike would not have made it one season with Scott. The tournament trail is not Nascar or the WWF. Fish2win

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.