Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-13-06, 06:09 PM   #1
Hef
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef
Default P-line braid

Anyone got the scoop on this "round" braid. Had any problems with it? I love Power Pro, but I'm having problems with it casting and a buddy had the same problem and said he started using Stren Braid, but thats a little expensive for me.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 06:41 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i have been using calcutta ultra braid it is a round braid with little to NO problems with it..

zooker
Old 07-13-06, 10:25 PM   #3
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I bought lots of the P-line braid, "Spectrex". Tough, durable, and all that but tends to dig into itself and that causes "Shortstopping" and other aggravations when throwing light stuff.
I needed some higher-vis braid so I bought some yellow TUF-Line, a flatter type braid and the dig-in problem has disappeared...Whoopee!
I'll still use the Spectrex when tossing heavier stuff since that will pull free from sheer force when casting.

FR.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-06, 02:11 AM   #4
islandbass

What #test are you using? That could be the culprit. Going less than 30# test braid for me invites line dig problems.

Other things that cause line dig is freeing snags using your rod and reel. The pressure exerted by the user holding his rod and reel makes the line dig into itself and it will not be noticed until the next cast is made.

The best choices are to:

1) Use at least 30# and even better, a higher # line (like 50#)
2) Free snags removing the rod and reel from the equation.

I use 30# p-pro and no longer encounter line dig. Good luck!
Old 07-14-06, 09:21 AM   #5
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass
What #test are you using? That could be the culprit. Going less than 30# test braid for me invites line dig problems.

Other things that cause line dig is freeing snags using your rod and reel. The pressure exerted by the user holding his rod and reel makes the line dig into itself and it will not be noticed until the next cast is made.

The best choices are to:

1) Use at least 30# and even better, a higher # line (like 50#)
2) Free snags removing the rod and reel from the equation.

I use 30# p-pro and no longer encounter line dig. Good luck!
I DID use the 15 and 20 test Spectrex, but that's part of my "quest for finesse". With the 20 test TUF the problem disappears.
I find that by lubing the line frequently the problem is much alleviated.
Note, if you will, that I have no probs with the lighter Spectrex in spinning application, or very few at most.

FR

Last edited by FlyRod; 07-14-06 at 09:36 AM.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-06, 09:27 AM   #6
Hef
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

I have been using the 50lb Power Pro. It for some reason doesn't want to cast that well with my new Quantum Energy. I have had no problem with the rest of my Quantums, just my new one. It was real upsetting cause I really like the Power Pro. I put the P-line on there and it does cast well.........so far. I'll give it a try tonite on the water and see what I think. Thanks for the info guys.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.