Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 08-22-11, 09:37 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Info on Kerr (Buggs Island)?

I'm headed for Kerr on Sat for a week, if anyone has any information they would care to share as to what's going on with the lake and the bass this week, it would be welcome. Will be there until the following Sat, staying outside Clarkesville, but will be fishing a few days down in the Nuttbush section. Never been down there, always stayed up in the Virginia water.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 02:04 PM   #2
3dkicker

Don't know how good the fishing is due to virus. Have heard good and bad. I've fished out of the State park at Clarksville and have some good locations to fish. Bluestone has some nice coves around the bridge. Most main lake coves east and west of Clarksville side of lake can hold fish. Typically they all have key points or brush piles. I spend time also in the coves around the island on the way up to Butchers. Water is down 2.5' or more so you'll need to find those rock or brush piles!!!
ooops got to go....Earthquake!!!
Old 08-23-11, 04:10 PM   #3
Captmikestarrett

Learn to crappie fish..

Capt Mike
Old 08-23-11, 05:12 PM   #4
bassboogieman

Quote:
Learn to crappie fish..
Can't, then I would need a bunch of crappie rods - just ask NFE, I can't put crappie rods on my boat. BUT - I probably should take a couple saltwater trolling rods and go out at night with some cut herring and try to find some of those humungeous (probably NOT spelled right) blue catfish. Now that would be fun.
Old 09-03-11, 08:30 PM   #5
bassboogieman

Kerr is a Bugger's Island now. What a difference between Spring, what I was a little familiar with, and now - just about 4' below normal pool. Fishing was as difficult as anything I've ever gone through (EVEN Wheeler). I checked all my spring spots and now know why they held fish - they're all mostly above water and I got to see all the cover on those spots. Caught very few "keeper" bass all week and nothing over 3#, very disappointing. Best fish of the week were NOT bass - I did catch a decent striper, a fresh water drum that was fun, and a decent pickerell. Most of the bass I found were 11" - 13" and not very many.

Four of us went and our rear deck guys had a horrible week, both got skunked 4 of 5 days. Pretty bad, and I only managed 2 - 3 bass each day. Last day the other boater did find some numbers of bass, managed 4 keepers and 10 'bama fish (dinks), but it took 4 days to find them. Fishing in general must be pretty bad, I didn't see many boats at all. During the spring I've had more boats in sight fishing a single cove, than I saw in an entire day. Didn't see more than 3 - 4 trailers at any of the ramps I used either.

I covered a lot of the lake in 5 days, from Buffalo Cr and Bluestone Cr to the west, main lake coves just east of the bridges at Clarksville along the north side. Tried Butcher's Cr (best production for me), Panhandle Cr & Eastland Cr and made a run to Grassy Cr. Thursday went to the Nutbush area and fished from the north end down and into Millcreek. Burnt a lot of gas and very little to show.

Very tough week all-in-all. Nice to see the lake again, but this will be a spring destination for me from now on. Camera died on me, so I have no pictures, and didn't even think about the phone. Kinda ticked me off a little as I wanted pictures of the exposed banks for those spring "hot spots" references.

Most of the fish caught were on crankbaits. I could have gotten away with TWO RODs for the week, most never got out of the rod locker. I think I had one spinnerbait fish, and the other boater had a couple take a Senko and 1 on a C-rig. I did put the new Revo Winch to work, and I am liking that reel. I see another one or two in my immediate future.

While the fishing was difficult, it still was time on the water, our boats ran fine all week, no problems along the way getting there, although we did delay the trip one day due to hurricane Irene. No trailer tire blow outs, no lost/broken rods - definite bonus. Home now, think tomorrow I'll sleep 'till noon.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 09-04-11 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-03-11, 10:12 PM   #6
lilmule

Sad at one time wanted to retire there,but the virginia beech pipeline changed my mind,who wants a bay home with a dry dock.
Almost surprised you could get in buffalo I remember it being a tad shallow near the entrance,when low and bluestone stops not far past the ramp in the curve.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 05:02 PM   #7
3dkicker

Sorry you didn't do well. Warm water and virus may be to blame.

Wish I had a camera the year I was down and the water was 9' below normal pool. Or a map I could write on. I had neither. Would have marked every brush or rock pile in the Clarksville area instead of fishing. Lost a gold mine of information by not being prepared....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.