Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-13, 10:17 PM   #1
Old Hooker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Deep Crankin' Question

Ok all, I need a little info. I use a med/fast 7' BPS Crankin' Stick with 12lb P-Line for cranks up to 1/2oz and in the 10 foot range. I have several deep cranks in my box that will overload a med power rod, such as DD-22's, Spro Mad John DD's and Mann 20+. These baits can run up to 1 oz. I am strongly considering a mh/fast Crankin' Stick for the rod, but what test line would you use? I know the 12 would let the cranks run deeper than the 15, but I don't know much about runnin' cranks that deep. My old Shimano 5:1 reel will handle either one.

All the lakes around me are manmade TVA impoundments that are deep and clear and more like rock quarries than lakes. They are 80+ years old and the timber rotted away years ago. The difference between summer full pool and winter drawdown level is 22 to 25 feet, so no vegetation. During the summer the fish can be found at 20-30 feet. What would you use?
Old 02-17-13, 10:33 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I would buy a 7'6"-8' MH Glass cranking rod for deep cranks. I would use a good, strong copoly or fluoro that I trusted in 12lb. As long as you check your knots and line often, it will be plenty strong and help get your baits deep.

The longer your rod, the longer you can cast, which in turn, helps get your bait deeper. I wouldn't go lighter than MH for deep cranks and I really prefer the forgiveness of glass when deep cranking. Graphite cranking rods have come a long way and a lot of people like them, they just don't have the slow, deliberate action that glass does. You want something with a very moderate, parabolic action to absorb some of the drag of a deep bait and to keep constant pressure on the fish.
Old 02-17-13, 11:34 PM   #3
Tavery5

Like Jrob78 mentioned a rod 7'6" - 8'0" with a nice moderate to moderate fast action. The Dobyns 765CB or 805CB come in your choice of glass or graphite, either would be great.
It is very hard to get any crankbait to reach a depth of 20ft or greater so line choice is very important. I would use the lightest FC line that I had confidence in. I did read an article on the new SK XD10 cranks and it said they were able to consistently reach depths of 25 feet. Because of the size of these baits, the article said they had to use rods usually designed for throwing large swimbaits and A-rigs.
Old 02-17-13, 11:42 PM   #4
Jrob78

My local DOI has the 10xd in stock. It's hard to believe how big that sucker is until you actually hold one in your hands. I believe it will hit 25' but you definitely can't throw it on a traditional crankbait rod. It weighs almost 2 oz.
Old 02-18-13, 08:04 AM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have to agree with whats already been said. I would add one little tidbit. Norman Baits makes a DD22 crankbait that suspends. That might be helpful for you. You can work it slower with pauses to keep your offering in the strike zone longer durring the retrieve. The longer 7'6" MH/MOD rod would be my choice for your needs as well.
Old 02-18-13, 10:48 AM   #6
kennethdaysale

If you buy a glass rod I'd suggest FC, if you buy a graphite then mono.
**edit** just reread your question..............10 mono or 12 FC

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 02-18-13 at 07:58 PM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-13, 01:03 PM   #7
Rebbasser

I use a MH Falcon Cara rod that is designed for those big bruisers. I find those bigger baits need a rod with a little more backbone. For smaller/shallower baits I find a M action rod works fine-I really don't think a technique specific rod is necesary for these smaller baits. The reel is a lot more important IMO, specifically a lower gear ratio. I throw these big baits on a 4.7:1 grat ratio. If you go ith a MH rod with a moderate action-meaning the rod bends about halfway down the length as opposed to the top 1/4 or 1/3-you should have plenty of rod to throw these big baits.
Old 02-18-13, 03:15 PM   #8
Old Hooker

I went to the store and found a Wright & McGill Skeet Reese S-Glass Magnum crankbait rod. It's 7' 10" and says it's a med/fast, but it has as much backbone as any mh I have ever picked up and the tip is limber nearly halfway down. I put my 5:1 reel on it and hung a 1 oz Bomber Fat Free shad deep diver on it and the rod felt really good. I may be on to something here.
Old 02-18-13, 07:34 PM   #9
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hooker View Post
I went to the store and found a Wright & McGill Skeet Reese S-Glass Magnum crankbait rod. It's 7' 10" and says it's a med/fast, but it has as much backbone as any mh I have ever picked up and the tip is limber nearly halfway down. I put my 5:1 reel on it and hung a 1 oz Bomber Fat Free shad deep diver on it and the rod felt really good. I may be on to something here.
I'm not a huge fan of the Skeet rods but I make an exception for the S-Glass Cranking rods. The one thing I will caution you on is to make sure the guides are all straight and not full of epoxy. Those rods are notoriously sloppy.

A couple of other rods I would seriously consider in that price range are the Quantum KVD Cranking rods and the St. Croix Mojo Cranking sticks, also glass. If you like the Skeet rod though, it should make an awesome deep cranking stick.
Old 02-19-13, 02:16 PM   #10
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hooker View Post

Sounds like you found the most important aspect of choosing a rod/reel combo: It felt really good. That is the key to any combo-that it feels good/right to you.
Old 02-21-13, 04:50 PM   #11
Old Hooker

Thanks guys. It will be a few weeks before I am able to take it out and try it out right, so in the meantime I will keep working and waiting. I will give a report on how well Skeet's rod works as soon as I can.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.