Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-18-11, 04:59 PM   #1
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default micro micro guides

I have a couple of rods that have micro guides and I like them. While at BPS the other day I picked up a NEW Quantum Smoke rod and for a second I thought there weren't any guides on it at all. I don't think I could have forced a fettucinni noodle through even the stripper guide! Whoa...these guides make the micro guide rods I bought just a couple of years ago look like basketball hoops by comparison. Anyone have any input/reviews/opinions on these new micro-micro guides?
Old 12-18-11, 05:29 PM   #2
Jrob78

I use them on every rod I build. At this point, 95% of the rods I fish have size 3 or 4 micro guides. The Smoke rods probably have 4's. I feel like I get better casting distance and the line flows more smoothly through them. The main reason I use them is to keep weight off the end of the rod. They make a lighter, better balanced rod that is a lot more responsive, which in turn makes it more sensitive. A rod with traditional guides feels slow and spongy now. They also don't tangle with other rods nearly as bad.

There are some draw backs to micro guides, fortunately they don't effect me. If you fish with long leaders, the knots wont pass well through micros and micros will freeze up much faster than traditional guides. I don't use leaders and I live in TX, so freezing isn't an issue. I've heard people complain about the guides getting clogged up with gunk from the water but I haven't had a problem with that, if anything it keeps it out of my reel. Micro guides with ceramics are also safe with braid, many other "weight saving" full size guides are not.
Old 12-18-11, 05:36 PM   #3
kennethdaysale

@jrob.......are there any concerns with the line contacting the blank too much....especially while fighting a good fish? or even on the cast? I didn't stay long enough to look at any spinning rods, but surely the first guide or two must be bigger on them.
Old 12-18-11, 06:02 PM   #4
Jrob78

You do your best to place the guides in such a way to minimize the line touching the blank, often adding an extra guide or 2 to help. You can usually keep it to a minimum. When the line drops below the blank is where you really get into trouble. Most rods with conventional guides will have some line touch under load.

Spinning rods are usually built with the first 3 guides regular size to get the line under control and then drop down to micro running guides. There are some new concept guides being used that have a large spinning guide with a micro attached, kind of like a funnel, to quickly tame the line. There are also some very high framed micro guides that are used for spinning rods. I don't have any experience with those though. Check out the Microwave guide, I believe it's called. I would provide a link but i'm on my phone right now, kind of a pita.
Old 12-18-11, 06:30 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I just got done building a cranking rod for my dads Christmas present. I used size 4's and I can't wait to see how well it will cast. I have a few rods with micro guides on them and I certainly can see a difference in casting with micro guides vs. larger guides. Micros are a lot smoother and I believe they do add a little distance on the cast as well. However the 4's I put on dads rod are smaller than the micros I have on any of my micro guide rods. I ended up needing 10 guides on the 7' cranking stick I just built. It took a little time static testing it but I finally got them positioned where I don't expect the line to contact the blank, at least not much.
Old 12-18-11, 08:11 PM   #6
Jrob78

Here are a couple of pics of guides for comparison. The small one is a Fuji size 4 micro and the larger one is a Fuji size 6. The 6 is the smallest guide used on any production rod with conventional sized guides. These rods also usually go up to at least a size 8 double footed guide which is considerably bigger. When I build a rod with micros, I will use all size 4's. That creates a huge weight reduction out toward the tip of the rod where it matters most.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	guides 002.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	440.0 KB
ID:	7418   Click image for larger version

Name:	guides 008.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	480.8 KB
ID:	7419  
Old 12-18-11, 09:52 PM   #7
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i have a rod with the micro guides that i won, and i fished with it once and put it up. could not tell of any added distance casting, and you can not use it when using a leader on braid. definitely will not be of use in freezing weather.
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-11, 10:18 PM   #8
kennethdaysale

@jrob that's a big difference. I don't use many leaders anyway and casting distance, ice aren't issues. I am more interested in increased sensitivity-reduced weight, I really like a rod with a "floating" tip for worm/jig use. Plus I like the idea of less tangles with other rods. Finally I think I like the aesthetics!
Old 12-18-11, 11:13 PM   #9
Jrob78

I will continue to build and fish rods with micro guides until I find a reason not to. I have them on spinning rods, flipping sticks, heavy glass cranking sticks and everything in between. I've been using them for about 3 years and really don't have any complaints but lots of positives. I can't recommend a production rod because all mine are customs but i'm sure there are some really good factory rods with micros out there. Just be sure to look the rod over and make sure the guides are straight and the finish is clean and doesn't go up into the ring.
Old 12-19-11, 12:00 AM   #10
kennethdaysale

there is a poster on this thread that needs to change usernames to something like Negative Ned or Noitall or Wetrag
Old 12-19-11, 12:48 AM   #11
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

He pegged you Kory hahahaha. I build my personal rods with micros as well. But I usually start with a 6, then 5 and 3-4s the rest of the way out. I use the 6 as the stripper and to cut down on the line angle from the reel to the first guide. What I notice is the smoothness of the cast and how fast the line is tamed. Which IMO gives you a little more casting distance and loss of friction created by line slap on bigger guides. More micros have to be on the rod to keep the line from dipping below the blank, but the payoff is more transmitting signals to the blank.
Old 12-19-11, 01:05 AM   #12
kennethdaysale

hint the poster with 4 numbers...shhhhhh
Old 12-19-11, 01:33 AM   #13
kennethdaysale

Hey I don't know how old yall are, but do you remember about 25-30 years ago when a rod mfg (can't recall who but it was a national name brand) came out with a casting rod that didn't have any guides at all? It was sorta flared right above the reel and had like a half funnell built in the base so the line actually went all the way through the rod out the tip! Very strange looking, don't think they made it very long. With todays advanced tech might be doable now? Maybe if T5 reads this he can find, he seems pretty good at research stuff.

I bet mule remembers
Old 12-19-11, 02:00 AM   #14
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
He pegged you Kory hahahaha. I build my personal rods with micros as well. But I usually start with a 6, then 5 and 3-4s the rest of the way out. I use the 6 as the stripper and to cut down on the line angle from the reel to the first guide. What I notice is the smoothness of the cast and how fast the line is tamed. Which IMO gives you a little more casting distance and loss of friction created by line slap on bigger guides. More micros have to be on the rod to keep the line from dipping below the blank, but the payoff is more transmitting signals to the blank.
What did I miss?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
hint the poster with 4 numbers...shhhhhh
What did I miss?
Old 12-19-11, 07:33 AM   #15
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

"What did I miss?" Nothing much hahahaha.
Ken, I remember Spiderwire producing a line thru rod after they introduced Spider line in the early-mid 90s. They tried to market it with a reel, but I guess it never took off. I remember a buddy of mine having one. I am not sure if that is what you are referring to though.
Old 12-19-11, 10:01 AM   #16
aikenyounggun

Hey ken, i dont remember bass rods like that but everytime i go fishing on a saltwater pier in florida (once or twice a year) there is always a couple that go through the rod like you're explaining
Old 12-19-11, 12:43 PM   #17
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

A size 4 Fuji Alconite guide will pass a leader connection Albright knot joining 50# Power Pro and 17# fluoro with no problem. The smallest, lightest guide that will get the job done will get the most out of the blank. Line touching the blank on retrieve is not a problem as long as the line doesn't go below the blank as stated. In a custom build, spiral wrapping with micro running guides is the best of both worlds since you won't need extra guides in most cases.
Old 12-19-11, 12:57 PM   #18
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Hey I don't know how old yall are, but do you remember about 25-30 years ago when a rod mfg (can't recall who but it was a national name brand) came out with a casting rod that didn't have any guides at all? It was sorta flared right above the reel and had like a half funnell built in the base so the line actually went all the way through the rod out the tip! Very strange looking, don't think they made it very long. With todays advanced tech might be doable now? Maybe if T5 reads this he can find, he seems pretty good at research stuff.

I bet mule remembers
I do remember the ones you speak of, there are some that are still being made today, one of the ones I know of is a crappie rod, and Daiwa makes one for Surf Casting called an Interline. Interesting design.

http://www.daiwa.com/ImageLibrary/do...=3&anchor=#272
http://www.bnmpoles.com/p-133-fish-pole-reel-combo.aspx

Last edited by Tavery5; 12-19-11 at 01:04 PM.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-11, 01:31 PM   #19
kennethdaysale

Hey T5....Come to think of it I think it was Daiwa, it was a few years before (daiwa) started making a line of conventional casting rods that used a blank that was very fat at the base (foregrip) then tapered down fast before it got to the first guide. They didn't last very long either. I wonder how Daiwa polishes the inside of those saltwater blanks to keep them from shredding line?

*side note* I remember when "blank thru handle" was a ground breaking innovation. highly coveted, something you just whispered under your breath when you held one!

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 12-19-11 at 01:37 PM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-11, 01:37 PM   #20
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
In a custom build, spiral wrapping with micro running guides is the best of both worlds since you won't need extra guides in most cases.
I agree 100%.
Old 12-19-11, 01:41 PM   #21
kennethdaysale

Spiral wrapping? Pics? Available in an off the rack rod?
Old 12-19-11, 02:30 PM   #22
Jrob78

This is the only company I know of off the top of my head making production spiral wrapped rods.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Big_B...age-BBPMS.html

I don't think I have a picture since my computer died. Basically, the first guide is generally on top followed by a series of guides, usually 1 or 2, that bring the line down to the bottom of the rod so that the remaining running guides are on the bottom like a spinning rod. The line naturally wants to go to the bottom due to gravity and the load placed on the line, a spiral wrap allows the line to go where it wants to go. I've only wrapped a handful of rods this way and I am no expert at it. Hopefully someone else with a little more experience will chime in.

If you do an image search for spiral wrapped rods, you will find some pics, I don't want to post someone else's pics here.
Old 12-19-11, 04:17 PM   #23
WaffleJaw

Old 12-19-11, 04:26 PM   #24
kennethdaysale

Hey Waffle That's interesting as hell! My mind is crawling with questions, but for starters have you spent much time using that rod? Is this a new concept or been around awhile? If it's been around why only 1 co. making production models? Approx. cost for a typical 6'6" or 7" mh custom rod? Why would I NOT want one?
Old 12-19-11, 04:33 PM   #25
bamabassman

well i DO remember the line through rods 25-30 yrs ago, dang oyu ken, hahaha.

now i too am intrigued with this sprial wrapped rod. does it cast farther or as far as a micro rod? not that i can afford a custom rod anyway, jsut wondering is all.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.