Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-11-12, 10:14 PM   #1
Fish-N-Fool
BassFishin.Com Member

Default How to end Crank bait clutter forever.

Here is an Idea I just came up with after opening up my crankbait box and looking at this mess.

So I got to thinking what would be a good cheap way to fix this. Here is what I came up with;

Step 1.
Lay the front treble hook flat on the belly of the crank with the one barb pointed up and hold in place.

Step 2.
Take a short length of surgical tubing like this,

Step 3.
And put the front hook into the tubing like so,

Step 4.
Then lay the back treble flat on the crank with the hooks together.

I would suggest a pair of needle nose pliers for this to avoid hooking a finger. Just like your parents used to say "Do as I say not as I do". LOL

Step 5.
Pull the tubing to stretch it over the hook point.

Step 6.
Insert the hook into the tubing while stretched out,

Step 7.
Let the tubing snap back to insert the hook point into the tubing,

For crankbaits with just 2 treble hooks your done. Just chuck it in your box with as many other baits as you wish and no more tangles.

You can use this same setup on lures with 3 treble hooks on them as well with a slightly longer piece of tubing, the front and middle hook you do the same as above like this, make sure you get this middle hook stuck good,

Then rigging the last hook can be done in the same way as the middle hook by stretching the tubing out tight and letting it snap back to hold the last hook.

To remove just stretch the tubing out and unhook the points again. It's cheap and simple how could you ask for more? I think this will save me hours if not days of fishing time over the years and a lot of frustration as well.

Old 02-11-12, 11:18 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I guess it works, but it seems like a lot of work to do everytime you put a bait in a box. You can buy those hook bonnets fairly cheap, they will last longer than the shrink tubing and are a lot easier to put on.
Old 02-12-12, 02:44 AM   #3
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Nice idea if you have the desire to do it. I used the hook bonnets and they became more of a trouble taking them off and putting them on. One thing though is if you only keep two baits in a slot you only need to do one bait.
Old 02-12-12, 09:00 AM   #4
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Nice idea if you have the desire to do it. I used the hook bonnets and they became more of a trouble taking them off and putting them on. One thing though is if you only keep two baits in a slot you only need to do one bait.
^^^^ with todays box's 2 to a slot is very doable.On any given trip I might change hard baits 5-15+ times, I'm not likely to enjoy the tube on -tube off program. Plus I remember us talking a while back how easy it really is to just shake a "bait ball" loose. Knowing me...if I tried to impale my razor sharp crank trebles into a piece of surgical tubing all the time(while in a hurry w/ wet hands) I would soon turn my hands into colanders of course it might create an opportunity to test my theory that bass (like sharks) are drawn to a human blood trail
Old 02-12-12, 01:03 PM   #5
finessefishin
BassFishin.Com Member

I like the idea but when I'm fishing I don't want to spend minutes putting my cranks back into the tubing and pulling new ones out. I like the Plano Flipsider boxes to prevent hard baits from tangling. It's a lot simpler and it works well.
finessefishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-12, 02:37 PM   #6
Jesse James
BassFishin.Com Member

I do something similar, but I use small rubber bands. I lay the hooks against the body like you do, then I just take a rubberband and hook it around the treble side that's sticking out on the front hook, then put a half twist in it, and loop it around the back hook. Then i finish by taking the rest of the rubber band back fowards and looping it around the bill of the crankbait a time or two to hold it all tight. Takes a few times to get used to, but now I can do one up in a few seconds and undo it in just a couple. Works for me. If the tubing works for you, go for it.
Jesse James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 07:23 AM   #7
Fish-N-Fool
BassFishin.Com Member

It only takes a few seconds to hook the tubing up and those special boxes get expensive quick. I have about 5 smaller crankbaits per slot in my box so this saves me a ton of time.
Old 02-18-12, 11:48 AM   #8
Jesse James
BassFishin.Com Member

That's a big plus to doing something like that. You don't have to buy the expensive crankbait boxes, and you can fit a lot more baits into a standard box than a similar sized speciality crankbait box. When the hooks don't get all jumbled up, you can stack 'em in there and save a lot of space.
Jesse James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-12, 01:25 PM   #9
coldbasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Crank bait clutter

There is an easier and less expensive way to battle hook snarls and that is put elastic bands on the treble hooks. fast easy and cheap Reminds me of a gal i used to know!
Old 02-18-12, 07:41 PM   #10
bassinbob

I remember an old hint for this problem. Get some of the little rubber bands people use for their braces from a dentist or drug store. Read that back in the 60's. Reason I remember is because I wore braces.
Old 02-18-12, 07:50 PM   #11
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
I remember an old hint for this problem. Get some of the little rubber bands people use for their braces from a dentist or drug store. Read that back in the 60's. Reason I remember is because I wore braces.
I buy dental bands by the 1000, I use them for rod building. I am going to give this a try, great tip!
Old 02-21-12, 10:00 AM   #12
NewfoundLakerMal
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile Plano does it for me

I just bought a Plano crankbait box from Basspro for my dozen or so baits. I have a separate box for topwaters and another for my lipless crankbaits. Keeping them all in separate slots avoids poking fingers and tangled lures. Of course it does cost a little more but as long as the wife doesn't find out I'm golden.
NewfoundLakerMal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 06:52 PM   #13
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Neat idea i have seen people use rubber bands and just wrap the trebles together
Old 03-24-12, 07:44 PM   #14
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

Good job Fish-N-Fool. I like that you saw a problem and figured out a way that works for you. Way to go! I am going to try it, I have a lot of tubing.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.