Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-02-12, 08:15 PM   #1
bigjim
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default graduating to a better baitcaster

2 yrs ago i really wanted to learn how to use a baitcaster. so i just picked up a combo at my local cabela's and figured that would be good enough to at least find out if i would even like it. turns out i absolutely loved it. granted the combo was only $79 and a bulk of that price was probably the rod, which is actually a pretty nice one and plan on using it with the new Reel i get. i plan on getting something in the 6:(something) gear ratio. main uses are going to be everything from soft plastics & spinnerbaits to crankbaits & jigs... when you go to stores like bass pro & cabelas or even Dicks sporting goods for that matter, just holding a reel and reeling it sure makes it hard to know if its any good. no line, cant cast it ect ect.. in that instance they all feel the same for the most part. so kinda have to go by reviews ,but i realize what ever i get is going to be a HUGE improvement to what im using now
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 08:22 PM   #2
T7HeadTurner

Thumbs up Lew's

You asking for a good choice? if so.....
For the price, http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lews_Speed_Spool_Casting_Reel/descpage-LSP.html
Nothing but great reviews! (talk about a bang for your buck)
If you have the money,
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lews_Tournament_Pro_Speed_Spool_Casting_Reel/descpage-TPSS.html
Its what I use and could'nt be any happyier
Old 04-02-12, 08:24 PM   #3
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

I am old fashion and still use the old style ambassadors. The round ones. They last forever, do everything I need. I carry 6 rods in my boat and they are all Abu-Garcias! But you might want to look at those new low profile ones. They seem to be lighter. Just buy quality and you wont go wrong. Good Luck.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 08:36 PM   #4
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Here are some great deals from the classified section.

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=32075
Old 04-02-12, 10:12 PM   #5
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
2 yrs ago i really wanted to learn how to use a baitcaster. so i just picked up a combo at my local cabela's and figured that would be good enough to at least find out if i would even like it. turns out i absolutely loved it. granted the combo was only $79 and a bulk of that price was probably the rod, which is actually a pretty nice one and plan on using it with the new Reel i get. i plan on getting something in the 6:(something) gear ratio. main uses are going to be everything from soft plastics & spinnerbaits to crankbaits & jigs... when you go to stores like bass pro & cabelas or even Dicks sporting goods for that matter, just holding a reel and reeling it sure makes it hard to know if its any good. no line, cant cast it ect ect.. in that instance they all feel the same for the most part. so kinda have to go by reviews ,but i realize what ever i get is going to be a HUGE improvement to what im using now

Got an idea on a price range?
Old 04-02-12, 10:21 PM   #6
bigjim

i think im def. going with a LEWS hands down. i went to cabelas tonite and planned on picking 1 up, they had the $99 reel and the $129 one, the $129 reel was a 7:1 which is what i think im going to go with, of course they didnt have any left at that store (figures) and the $99 one they had was a 5:? ratio or something along those line. i think the only main difference i really noticed between the 2 is the more expensive 1 had the audible click on the spool tension knob.
Old 04-02-12, 10:35 PM   #7
T7HeadTurner

Quote:
i think im def. going with a LEWS hands down. i went to cabelas tonite and planned on picking 1 up, they had the $99 reel and the $129 one, the $129 reel was a 7:1 which is what i think im going to go with, of course they didnt have any left at that store (figures) and the $99 one they had was a 5:? ratio or something along those line. i think the only main difference i really noticed between the 2 is the more expensive 1 had the audible click on the spool tension knob.
Now your in business brother, $99 buck last for years, and will do you great out on the water

You got to look at the Falcon Bucoo Micro Guide rods! $129!!!!
That 7' Med Hvy is pretty mean.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Falcon_Bucoo_Micro_Guide_Casting_Rods/descpage-FBMC.html
Old 04-02-12, 10:51 PM   #8
bigjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by T7HeadTurner View Post
Now your in business brother, $99 buck last for years, and will do you great out on the water

You got to look at the Falcon Bucoo Micro Guide rods! $129!!!!
That 7' Med Hvy is pretty mean.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Falcon_Bucoo_Micro_Guide_Casting_Rods/descpage-FBMC.html

just made an Ebay Purchase:
Lews Tournament MG Baitcast Freshwater Right Hand Fishing Reel 7.1:1 - TS1SHMG

$108.00 w/ free expedited shipping. should have it by thursday, friday at the latest. (the one cabelas didnt have tonite, that i wanted, and saved about $30 or so dollars if you factor in tax and all that)

im super hyped!!! cant wait to get this baby out this weekend,, my luck it will probably rain for a week straight the day i get it..hahahah
Old 04-02-12, 11:04 PM   #9
T7HeadTurner

Quote:
just made an Ebay Purchase:
Lews Tournament MG Baitcast Freshwater Right Hand Fishing Reel 7.1:1 - TS1SHMG

$108.00 w/ free expedited shipping. should have it by thursday, friday at the latest. (the one cabelas didnt have tonite, that i wanted, and saved about $30 or so dollars if you factor in tax and all that)

im super hyped!!! cant wait to get this baby out this weekend,, my luck it will probably rain for a week straight the day i get it..hahahah
Very Nice! I've never tryed the MG always Speed Spool, but all to you!!!
Either way Lew's is the way to go hands down.
I do like the 7.1:1 more then 6.4:1 " you can always slow it down"
Old 04-02-12, 11:12 PM   #10
bigjim

actually it is a Speedspool.had the decal on it, but i made sure to copy the model# before i left cabelas. because my original plan was to find it at another cabelas and have them just ship it to my local store, but figured i would check out ebay before doing so,, glad i did
Old 04-04-12, 11:20 PM   #11
slounch_slayer
BassFishin.Com Member

Agree on the lew's but if you get a hankering for some high dollar reels for a much lower price look up some reels on ebay sold by American Legacy. Some I think are renovated. Some are returns, but all are great deals. I've had nothing but great luck with their products. They have a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like what you bought too.
slounch_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-12, 01:50 PM   #12
Mike304
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree with Jrob. If your not afraid of being a little trusting and adventurous, you can find some great deals on some nice stuff in the classified section.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.