Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-28-07, 11:01 PM   #1
bassnnut
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Fishing River Currents

How do you fish muddy/stained river currents with very little structure other than barge tie-ups, alot of flats and real shallow back water??
bassnnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-07, 11:15 PM   #2
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

I dont fish murky, fast water, so i cant help you there. But there is an area on my lake which is about 1 foot of water over 2 feet of thick hydrilla. I kill them on jerkbaits and spooks around now, and later on in mid-summer on buzzbaits.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-07, 11:31 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

Throw upstream and retrieve with the current. Look for current breaks-rocks, retaining walls, barges-anything that will produce slack water. Pull the bait into the slack water. If it is real muddy think noise/vibration-rattling baits like a Rat-L-Trap, a spinnerbait with a big, single colorado blade or a big bulky jig.
Old 04-29-07, 10:21 AM   #4
3dkicker

Those flats should have some cover (wood or rock) on them. Use a spinnerbait or crankbait to find it. The flats will also drop off into the channel (structure). Another area to search for cover. Channel bends normally have wood stacked up on the outside bend. Feeder creeks provide sand bars that create current breaks. Fish them and how shallow is the back water? Find a small channel and you'll find fish. Channel could be as little as 6" deeper than the rest of the water and hold fish. The back water areas should have plenty of cover too. Also don't worry about the water color. Unless there is heavy rain the fish will be able to see your lures with no problem.
Old 04-29-07, 02:11 PM   #5
brushhog

I fish a river here, Mohawk River, that sound like that but with more cover. Rat-L-Trap thrown upstream and drifted down to still water produces hits for me. It takes accurate casting and good presentatin in that kind of water. Good luck and laet us know how it goes! Buzz baits and big spinners might help in really murky muddy water!
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-07, 03:30 PM   #6
zooker

the trick in currant is top fish with it fish will always face into it..

i like to work cranks or big wighted worms near laydowns in the currant.. bass may and may not be in slack areas depending on the amount of currant fast currant yes slack areas. a visable slow currant they can be hiding right in it..if it is slow watch for places that the currant is striking and being turned.. in this turblance caused by the turn the bass will be holding..

zooker
Old 05-01-07, 04:13 PM   #7
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Bass in the rivers like eddies too. If you can find one they will be there. If you can find a current break you should find fish. Also I down size my worms and jigs when fishing a river. 4" worms and smaller jigs like a Baby Boo or Eakins jig are killer for me right now where I'm, fishing. Small cranks too. Red Shad, Junebug, and black/blue are the better colors for me on our stained rivers.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 04:03 PM   #8
Captmikestarrett

A rattletrap is your search bait in that case. It can find fish and structure too.

Capt Mike
Old 05-06-07, 07:50 PM   #9
lizardsrule

IMHO, it is very difficult to beat a spinnerbait in stained rivers. You also don't have to use a single big colorado blade to get the fishes attention. They are accustomed to the stain, so my choice is a chart/wht small colorado blade(silver), with a bigger willowleaf blade in gold. Just kicked the pants off my partner with it a week ago while he just kept throwing his colorado blade. And I followed him in the back of the boat.

Lizards
Old 05-06-07, 11:51 PM   #10
3dkicker

You were using a ?????SPINNERBAIT????? I'm so disappointed
Old 05-07-07, 12:14 AM   #11
hackattack
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If you have a boat try drifting a split-shotted bait. It is the most natural way to present little morsels to river fish (especially, and mostly,) smallies.
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 07:43 PM   #12
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
You were using a ?????SPINNERBAIT????? I'm so disappointed
Well when it's working, then it's the best bait to use at the time. But I did have a Lizard rigged too rotfl.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.